VNs with the best story

Utratank

Hi. I've read a few dating sims VNs, like Grisaia no Kajitsu, Katawa Shoujo and so on. I'm looking for a change, an actual VN with a story. So today I am looking for VNs with the BEST story. 

Can you guys give me a suggestion for each of the qualities below:

- Most in-depth

- Most epic

- The one with the strongest emotional hammer (sad / happy)

- Best in your opinion

(doesn't matter if have h-scenes or no)

THX

So basically the complete opposite of your previous request :sachi:

- Most in-depth: Not quite sure what you meant about this one, I assume you mean "world - building" in which I would recommend the entire Muv-Luv trillogy or Steins;gate.

- Most epic: Ayakashibito and Fate Stay Night are some excellent action oriented titles. 

- Emotional Hammer: Ehhhhhh this field kinda lays outside my particular tastes, but most people would probably point you to pretty much anything that Key has made. The Cartagra/Kara no shoujo series will also make you feel the feels, but in more of the hardcore depression sort of way.  

- Best in your opinion: Well my personal all-time favorite VN was Muv-Luv alternative which I already listed, under Muv-Luv trillogy..... 

4 hours ago, Utratank said:

Hi. I've read a few dating sims VNs, like Grisaia no Kajitsu, Katawa Shoujo and so on. I'm looking for a change, an actual VN with a story. So today I am looking for VNs with the BEST story. 

Can you guys give me a suggestion for each of the qualities below:

- Most in-depth

- Most epic

- Best in your opinion

(doesn't matter if have h-scenes or no)

THX

In a more general sense, check out this post from my blog.

You really couldn't go any better than Fata Morgana if you want something out of the traditional VN box. It's the closest I've ever seen a VN get to perfection and probably the only one I would wholeheartedly consider to be a masterpiece. I'm not sure about "epic", per se, but it's incredibly intricate and well woven, and it made me weep like a small child, which not many things can do.

Edited by akaritan

3 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

This one is so epic that it will literally fuck your brains out (at least some characters do)

https://vndb.org/v3030

seriously now for the one with the strongest emotional impact I haven't read anything better than narcissu 1 and probably wont read anything like that ever again.

I Tried playing the Dustmania game last year... it made me laugh and cringe a little

Some great novels story-wise:

- Virtue's Last Reward (Zero Escape): it blew my mind back in 2014.

- Ever 17: pretty epic tale.

- Steins;Gate: same as Ever 17, but with better characters.

- If my heart had wings: romance novel with mutilated H scenes and then some, it will receive a new, complete retranslation within some months, and it will be great.

- Hoshizora no Memoria: humour, drama, romance and feelz, all in one nice package. Standard approach albeit with high quality.

All are available in English, VLR will release on Steam sometime 2017 along with the first game, 999.

Another potential recommendations:

- Ace Attorney games, the last one, set in an Eastern rundown nation, can be pretty great.

- Danganronpa, don't know if you will like it.

- Doctor Layton games. Puzzles, mystery and whatnot.

These are available on handheld systems (PS Vita/3DS).

Edited by Okarin

On 12/9/2016 at 7:30 PM, Utratank said:

- Most in-depth

Root Double goes into a lot of detail of how its scientific concepts function. Some of it is very "pseud", but others are actually halfway believable.

On 12/9/2016 at 7:30 PM, Utratank said:

Subarashiki Hibi. It isn't as available as the other titles here, but there is an patch that translates most of the game available if you look hard enough.

If you're looking for story, MYTH is also an excellent choice.

If you want to ask the recommendation here again, I would suggest both of Tokyo Babel and Root Double once again. And maybe you could as well try Himawari which is just recently released. As far as I cvoncerned, I think those three could satisfy you, but then again it was depend on you though. Hope this recommendation will be help once again.

On 12/10/2016 at 0:53 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Most in depth: AkabeiSoft's two classics G-Senjou no Maou and Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo.

Most epic: MuvLuv Alternative

Emotional hammer: Minori's Eden and ef - a fairy tale of the two.

My personal pick for best would be G-Senjou, because it has a fairly good mixture of story, drama and epicness.

Good taste :Keepo: