Key announced their new title - Summer Pockets

Satsuki

34 minutes ago, Norleas said:

He make ends that don't have the traditional "And they lived happily ever after", like in Hatsusaku that 

Reveal hidden contents

In the true route the heroine sacrifice himself to save the mc from vanishing

So mostly people are pissed because all the happy moments that they live with the heroine ends in a bitter note, but i like that to break the perfect world of happiness of vn universe, i really like the end of Nagisa for exemple.

Pretty much...

1 hour ago, Norleas said:

He make ends that don't have the traditional "And they lived happily ever after", like in Hatsusaku that 

Reveal hidden contents

In the true route the heroine sacrifice himself to save the mc from vanishing

So mostly people are pissed because all the happy moments that they live with the heroine ends in a bitter note, but i like that to break the perfect world of happiness of vn universe, i really like the end of Nagisa for exemple.

oh, so people are pissed that he actually wants to put something intriguing and thoughtprovoking into his stories, im not surprised.

17 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Interview translated by reddit user jis33785:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GtQTEDpj3Fl8gkP9GQdI56VJYeDoaZrPIqm1HypWZds/edit

Few details about setting, what was happening in Key when they started this, and that they are still developing routes, not even writing yet, so we should not expect this soon.

Literally, the game is in early pre-production state and they already release a teaser, lol. Based Key.

1 hour ago, Kawasumi said:

oh, so people are pissed that he actually wants to put something intriguing and thoughtprovoking into his stories, im not surprised.

Key fans, man.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

Well, again, it's worth pointing out that he's not the lead writer here. I think people are overreacting a tad.

I haven't read the article yet, but even if it says, "The story is something Kai came up with when he was 12 years old, has always wanted to bring to life, and will have full creative control over, while Niijima is just someone we hired out of pity after Koikake, who will be responsible for correcting typos" I'd still respond to this news with "Hatsusaku obviously hit just the right note with people, and it will be up to Key to make sure that happens again here." :pyaa: I care a lot about Niijima Yuu. But yeah, judgments to the effect of "Niijima Yuu is the new face of Key" are a bit premature.

Edit: I've just read the article, and don't see where it says Niijima isn't the lead writer. Kai said that he and Niijima are the people who came up with the structural details of the story, working from the broader setting and key points and conclusion of the story which Maeda proposed; Hasama isn't mentioned there. Kai and Niijima talk about Niijima's prose, and Kai compliments him. Niijima also spends time talking about balancing his individual style with Key's style. In contrast, Hasama just talks about how thrilled he is to be working at Key. Although Kai is the director, I think that's just a job he naturally takes as an experienced employee of Key, and it doesn't mean he is writing the important parts. And Niijima's name is the first one listed under scenario writers, which is a spot I have seen associated with the lead writer. I wouldn't be surprised if the true route and much of the common route were written by Niijima.

Edited by MayoeruHitori

I think before I start caring about the potential ending of the VN, I first want to know if the stuff BEFORE the ending is actually worth reading. Otherwise I couldn't care less.

Judging by his previous works, Niijima Yuu seems to be a rather decent writer - you could do worse than having written Hatsusaku I think - so I don't really see it that negative.

Some writers also possess the incredible brain power to recognize that visual novels allow for different endings, including good and bad ones. Who knows, maybe he can make everybody happy... or nobody. :illya:

On 9/12/2016 at 7:49 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Some writers also possess the incredible brain power to recognize that visual novels allow for different endings, including good and bad ones. Who knows, maybe he can make everybody happy... or nobody. :illya:

Yeah, but the ending being good or bad depends on the general mood and motif of the novel.

Hoshimemo's endings are happy, because the routes consist of the protag romancing your girl of choice and moving on from his past. I still have to try Yume and Mare though. But it's not a game where a tragic ending could fit.

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

Yeah, but the ending being good or bad depends on the general mood and motif of the novel.

I'd agree with the latter statement but not really with the former. Since technically, the whole difference between the nakige and the utsuge genre is that the first has a comeback after the drama while the second doesn't. However, if the motif of a VN is to show you inevitable loss then it can make sense to only give you one bad ending. But even those two statements are awfully generalized since there's more than just black and white and there's also the infamous Japanese bitter-sweet ending.

In general, the important thing is that an ending is believable and fitting regardless if it's a good or bad one, although even that can be a very subjective matter.

Though I don't necessarily expect every ending to be greatness incarnate. I'm not necessarily opposed to 'cheap' good endings for people who just love their happy end, considering that for example the five gazillion bad endings of the Kara no Shojo series aren't all master pieces either (though KnS1 bad endings > KnS2 bad endings IMO). More important is that it at least 'has' good written endings.

There's considerable variety for each person to pick what he/she likes most.

Another thing is that with Summer Pockets they'll have to deal with Key fans' expectations. But, as we have seen with Rewrite and Charlotte, Key can't remain always the same Key.

Key making an utsuge can be a refreshing change, even if it pisses some people off (i. e. maybe there are people so keen on the nakige formula they can't stomach a heavy hitting ending, a la Narcissu).

As for me, I feel that an utsuge needs a special mindset to tackle, and should be played with some caution. Because, damn, it can get very depressing. And I mean VERY.

• 3 months later...

Key announced their "World Advertise" project for Summer Pockets.

So don't be surprised if you see a weeaboo Cessna flying in the sky~

http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/summer/cessna/

summer_pockets_cessna.png

world_map.png

(Seriously though, I'm not even sure if this is real or not. Key has the habit of announcing both fake and real news on April Fools', so...)

Actually I think it really is April Fools'

Edited by Satsuki

• 8 months later...
On 12/8/2016 at 2:29 AM, Nier said:

None of the big older titles such as Rewrite+, Little Busters Perfect Edition, Angel Beat 1st beat have even been released yet either.

Jeebus, i was wondering when Key would get on with something new after those remakes but they're not even done with those yet?? xD

E: Wait that post was from last year l0l, but still

~~
6/29's a nice release date(?), wonder how long it'll take for it to get TL'ed :ph34r: