Visual Novels for Mac users

LunaSopor

I've noticed that there aren't very many visual novels available Macintosh as Windows. I only have a mac right now (my Husband has a windows laptop but he only uses it for his programing stuff for work) so the scope of visual novels that I can play right now is very limited. I'm somewhat new to playing VNs, and I haven't played any of the major, or most popular ones like, Clannad or Air, because as far as I know there are no mac ports of this game (they would have to be .dmg files.) I suppose I could just wait until I have a Windows pc, but it would be nice to be able to play more vns on my MacBook.

Right now on my mac I have:

RE- Alistair (First VN I ever played, completed all endings except for Shiro's.)

Katawa Shoujo (currently playing)

Narcissu (1 & 2) (haven't played yet, I've heard it's a pretty depressing "crying game" but also sweet.)

Ripples (A Kinetic Visual Novel. Completed, wish it was longer.)

So what Visual Novels would you suggest for a mac user?

For any fellow mac users on this forum I just found a mall database of indie visual novels for mac: http://www.renai.us/special/macintosh

Please share any links to games that you find that are for mac on this thread. Thanks :3

Edited by LunaSopor

I posted some thoughts on another thread before seeing this dedicated discussion post. I pointed out that most VNs have low systems requirements and thus could potentially be played in a windows emulator. Have you ever dabbled in the Windows emulation world? Have any workarounds for playing windows-based software?

Thank for taking the time to reply to this thread. :3

I have yet to dabble in windows emulation on my MacBook. I've thought about it, but right now I'm in college for Graphic Design (I also do Illustration) and so between Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop files, and everything else on my computer I don't want to become cramped for space. I have an extra external hard drive though, so maybe I'm just being paranoid about it. lol.

I guess what it comes down to is that I'll have to wait till I get a windows pc or find an emulator. But I'd much rather not have to get an emulator right now (maybe I'll get one when I graduate.) So, until then, I'd much rather play some visual novels that are .dmg.

Here's a list of all visual novels that work natively on Mac OS, starting with the oldest. If you look through the list for a few pages, you'll notice that there have been surprisingly few Japanese VNs for OS X since 2007. Just about everything since then for the platform has been created with Ren'py, usually by English speaking fans.

I'm sure someone else can think up some specific recommendations. But to understand what VNDB users like, click the down-facing arrows for "popularity" or "rating." This is no guarantee that you'll enjoy the story, gameplay, presentation, etc.

Two games worth mentioning that aren't included in the VNDB list are Tsukihime and Kagetsu Tohya, which are really great games. You just need to use the ONScripter Mac thing that Umineko and Higurashi use to be played on Mac. The Tsukihime Plus Disc, however, does not work because they switched to the engine they eventually used for Fate Stay Night. Other than that, you are relegated to OELVNs (I suggest Juniper's Knot) and other Insani releases (which are decent, but you miss out on True Remembrance, which is arguably the best game they have on there.)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll certainly check out those options.

@TheBigGuy

I've tried out Juniper's Knot and I really enjoyed the artwork, but the writing was really strange. It was difficult to understand what was going on because the grammar was so odd. Has anyone else that has played Juniper's Knot agree with me?

Yeah Mac is not that popular in Japan just as they are not that popular for games in the West.

Japanese developers dont really make VNs for Mac that's why there's hardly any games for Mac on this site.

There IS tomoyo after though,

https://visualnovelaer.wordpress.com/2012/09/22/release-doki-presents-tomoyo-after-fully-subbed-in-english/ Doki made it work on the Mac.

Thanks Aaeru. Considering that I haven't played (or seen the anime of) Clannad, I'm not sure if playing Tomoyo After would be okay, since I'm not familiar with the characters or anything. I suppose I could go ahead and watch the anime and find a let's play to get caught up or something. Are there any really good lp's of Clannad? Any more suggestions?

Thanks Aaeru. Considering that I haven't played (or seen the anime of) Clannad, I'm not sure if playing Tomoyo After would be okay, since I'm not familiar with the characters or anything. I suppose I could go ahead and watch the anime and find a let's play to get caught up or something. Are there any really good lp's of Clannad? Any more suggestions?

Not sure if there is one... i just looked through the somethingawful forums and there was nothing.

the fastest way to get up to speed is by watching maybe about the first half of Clannad the anime? watch about 6 to 13 episodes. and then watch the Tomoyo episode (CLANNAD_-_ep24_-_Tomoyo_Chapter). you can find the series on streaming sites or on bakabt

btw the beginning of tomoyo after there are a bunch of sex scenes. just telling u now so u dont freak out when u see them

Hey! Hey! With a little patience (few weeks away from release), here's a great option for you:

With any android or Nintendo DS emulator you could use VNDS to play Clannad! The conversion is 50% done and is expected to be completed in just a few weeks. Check out the project in the VNDS wiki. I don't know how hard it is to run an android or DS emulator on a mac, but I'm sure they're out there.

PS: I'm a big fan and user of VNDS, and would be happy to help if you need any!

Hey! Hey! With a little patience (few weeks away from release), here's a great option for you:

With any android or Nintendo DS emulator you could use VNDS to play Clannad! The conversion is 50% done and is expected to be completed in just a few weeks. Check out the project in the VNDS wiki. I don't know how hard it is to run an android or DS emulator on a mac, but I'm sure they're out there.

PS: I'm a big fan and user of VNDS, and would be happy to help if you need any!

I have a Nintendo DS so this sounds like a great option! I'll look into this! Thanks Tay. :3

Mhmmmm.... I play VNs on my Mac too.... with CrossOver (or if you like not to pay Wine) you can Play many VNs.... I played Da Capo II, SchoolDays and Kannon with CrossOver the only problem yo could get is that the Into video isn't working.... Annother good methode would be RLVM it provides many features of the RealLive.exe for Linux and OSX ;D, with that you can Play almost all Key VNs (Clannad, Air, Tomoyo After, Kannon, Little Busters).... http://www.elliotglaysher.org/rlvm/index.html would be the website.... Annother way would be a Virtual Machine of Course... Just Grab Virtual Box and a Windows Install DVD (or grab the Win8 Preview directly from Microsoft ;D)

• 11 months later...