How fanatic are you?

S. Drakensson

I have to agree with most of the thread: if you're not from Japan, you probably shouldn't be writing about Japanese people. If you're from Spain, write about Spanish people. Don't do it because that's what you think I want to see, or even because it would be a pleasant change of pace (even though it really, seriously would; Highway Blossoms, as many problems as I had with it, was a breath of fresh air for its setting and some of its themes); do it because you'll almost certainly do a much better job with it.

Honestly, when I see a western VN with a cast full of Japanese names, my immediate reaction is: "weeb; probably not interesting". If the creator is so stuck in the world of JP VNs that they can't even get their head out of that country, there's very, very little chance they have anything substantial to add in other areas. If enough people say good things about such a project, I'd certainly take a closer look and reassess that position, but the first impression left by a project like that is never a positive one, to me, and I have yet to see a case where that first impression was wrong.

Unrelated, but I clicked the screenshot link after @Darklord Rooke said something about "a nice sensible longsword" and thought to myself, "That's not a longsword, that's a claymore," and felt a lovely jolt of smugness when I scrolled down to find the OP correcting both him and Kurisu. Me: 1. Errybody else: 0.

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Unrelated, but I clicked the screenshot link after @Darklord Rooke said something about "a nice sensible longsword" and thought to myself, "That's not a longsword, that's a claymore," and felt a lovely jolt of smugness when I scrolled down to find the OP correcting both him and Kurisu. Me: 1. Errybody else: 0.

Claymore's can either be classified as great swords, or longswords depending on their length. The smaller claymores would be classified as longwords (I.E. two handed swords that can be used in one hand if you want) and extend into great sword territory (those two handed swords that must be used with two hands.) 

A great sword can look like this:

100_0982.JPG 

Whereas in the picture it looks like the character could wield his sword with one hand. So I called it a longsword :P 

Kurisu, I'm not so sure about this "do what you like" thing... I mean, look at the 90s. The videogames, the movies, the art, the culture- everyone did what they enjoyed. They imprinted their passion on their works. And they were good works.

But in this dark era of post-industrialism, you often encounter lifeless, generic and meaningless works that are so indefinite that they try to appeal to everyone (or at least, if the "like" to "unimpressed" balance is positive, then way to go). Like the new Star Trek saga. Or Star Wars Episode 7. These feel like fanfiction movies, because fanfiction rules all over the place (I don't mean that it's good, I just mean that it has wide acceptance).

A creator would feel better doing it the old way and making a game he'd like to play; but you can turn over to the Dark Side and just make a game you think will sell, for the dollarz. In the first case, if the game bombs you still feel honest; in the second, you just screwed.

Note that my reply here is not about the Anime-topic intended for this thread. This reply is about the focus on feedback as a game developer and how much you should "make the game you want to play"The last two nights i have been thinking hard and i have come to this conclusion: I have stopped caring about what other people like/dislike in my works. It is all too subjective and it became too exhausting, painful and confusing for me to try to adapt to.
For my own health and creativity, i had to let go. Im done trying to please everyone and putting myself in last place always :)

i don't think im the problem. I think the problem is that the world is not ready for my modus operandi. They are not ready because they have for several years been attached to a list of subjective criterias created by a person long ago, wich just happened to gain enough followers in order to become an "Industry Standard". Therefore, when someone like me comes along, someone who follows their heart and does not care about what people think of their work, someone who acknowledge one cannot please everyone, someone who realize the fact that either people like their game or they don't....... then people freak out. It breaks with their "Industry Standard" and they want to murder that person at once because he's a worthless unprofessional Phil Fish xD haha :D 

The problem isnt us, it is the world not being ready for a different subjective modus-operandi other than the "Inustry Standard". I sound like an asshole, but you need to think this through. Give it a thought. The fight for creating something objectively good.....is futile. It is impossible to accomplish. There will always be dislikes. Trying to adapt to subjective feedback and make a flawless gem is impossible. It is exhausting, and it is a prison for any creative person. It is a swelling cancer. I didnt make this decision because im intolerant of feedback or because im an asshole, but because it became too exhausting and confusing for me. It was, and it is, not healthy for me or anyone creative. I want to be free.
I don't want to refrain from making the game i want out of fear from the Industry Standard waiting to attack me once the game comes out. It would be equivalent to letting fear control you, to let you be toyed with.
That being sad, im not gonna disable comments, delete negative reviews or lash out on anyone for hating my game(s)......but i am not going to care very much. Why? Because it is all subjective and too confusing.
Now if you have feedback on bugs, technical issues and such......THEN i do care of course :) .

enough?

Edited by S. Drakensson

Well, it is true that there are many kinds of people, but granted, there are people just like you. People that like what you like and have experienced what you have experienced. Haven't you ever found a song that resonates with you, because the author went through the very same experience as you? Resonance is a thing. And it's important.

While you probably won't find anyone exactly like you, you can find some people similar enough to you. Or at least, like-minded.

So, a way to address the creative matter is to do what you like, in hopes that your work reaches people that also like what you like. Pleasing a lot of people takes a deep market analysis to find out what people like, and takes some creative sacrifices.