Tayutama 2 -You're the Only One- on Steam

Veshurik

1 hour ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Posting below image because it deserves to be reposted across forums.

Hey, that's me! :makina:

I remember thinking of ChuSinGura 46+1 when I wrote that post because of the travesty of a localization that received. It really does hurt to know that some Japanese developers license their titles to questionable companies and we as consumers suffer the consequences. Of course, even experienced publishers are capable of producing a bad translation here and there, so there's always risk on our end, unfortunately.

But does inre, the developer of ChuSinGura 46+1, even know that I can't bring myself to play their VN in English because the translation was so abysmal? Are they aware that there's practically no discussion of their VN in the communities I frequent because the awful release (and a train wreck of a Kickstarter campaign) turned off so many? Does Lump of Sugar care that they're allowing a Chinese company to localize their VN into English even though there are more qualified options? Do they care that the title of their VN has been bastardized into some dumb shit about elves being smart?

Does none of this matter because there's still the chance people will buy these VNs anyway? (Probably.)

TL;DR: Sometimes official localizations are my greatest motivation to continue learning Japanese.

Edited by RikiSanic

• 8 months later...

The demo version released on Steam.

I was really disappointed in that. I wrote to Hikari Field on Twitter and say, that quality of translation is... Ehem...

But I was in shock, when they did answer me... With such a strange letter...

I attached that, because... Seriously, I really don't know what to answer. Guys, please... Can someone explain them the situation?

I know that you can say a lot more... Thank you very much.

FgOQLktgn2o.jpg

When a company starts to respond emotionally to feedback like that, run for the hills. A truly professional business (and part of being professional is caring about your target market) would heed any feedback and respond to it in a positive and constructive way. This company seems to admit no fault and instead accuses the customers of having incorrect opinions.

If they truly cared about making money, they'd establish a trust relationship with their customer base. This sets up for long-term success of their business because people will have more confidence in future work they do. Everything I'm reading so far screams short-term. They want money from this title now, without regards to quality. Decay found some pretty ridiculous programming bugs, as well as provided them clear examples of their bad translations on Twitter in response to the above letter. All of these problems are inexcusable and unacceptable.

First the translation for Libre of the Vampire Princess is crap, then MoeNovel butchers another VN I wanted to play, and now this. I hope I'm just getting unlucky regarding TLs of important items on my wishlist and we're not headed towards some sort of VN apocalypse... 

So, Hikari Field deleted this post of reply to me. Instead they are write a new post in Twitter in Chinese...

Ob2-nR8h700.jpg

Конфуций: "Ответь справедливостью за зло, и добром за добро".

Confucius: "Return good for good; return evil with justice."

=================================================================

Ngh... Are they 12 year little girls, hah? 

32 minutes ago, Veshurik said:

So, Hikari Field deleted this post of reply to me. Instead they are write a new post in Twitter in Chinese...

Ob2-nR8h700.jpg

Конфуций: "Ответь справедливостью за зло, и добром за добро".

Confucius: "Return good for good; return evil with justice."

=================================================================

Ngh... Are they 12 year little girls, hah? 

You should probably just walk away. You can't force advice onto people, and they're clearly not good enough (and don't have the proper mindset) to recognise and take on board the points people are saying so it will just be an exercise in frustration for all involved. 

Oh hey, congratulations. It's not everyday someone will butcher the sayings of Confucius to score points in an argument you're involved in, you certainly don't get that in conversations with Japanese companies, so that's a positive I guess

Implying Tayutama 2 is even a good vn. First one was, second one... not so.

That aside, this "translation" is the best joke ever since Moenovel's first sketchy attempts.

I presume LoS preffered Hikari Field, because they probably charged less than english translators :makina: I expected no less from the Hitler of eroge industry.

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

Implying Tayutama 2 is even a good vn. First one was, second one... not so.

That aside, this "translation" is the best joke ever since Moenovel's first sketchy attempts.

I presume LoS preffered Hikari Field, because they probably charged less than english translators :makina: I expected no less from the Hitler of eroge industry.

I really wanted to play the first Tayutama but it's not translated to English according to vndb. Sad :-(

To give them the benefit of the doubt, it may just be their bad English that makes them sound childish,
though they do take the moment to poke fun at my foul? language in my first response.
They sound significantly more professional in Chinese.

DPr3DIHUMAAiOQ0.jpg

Then again, that only goes to show they shouldn't be translating to English in the first place.

Edited by Beichuuka

More or less the same things in Veshurik's response, except stated in more detail and with less childishness.
They also claim to have in fact been working with the editor from Abyss Translations and the demo reflects the suggested edits, though comments in the most recent VNTS refutes those claims.

Edited by Beichuuka

Well, what I could say is that the one who write English message from Hikari Field need to learn to less abusing space bar. A lot. Oh, and seeing that they release the sequel first, might as well just ignore this considering that recently there's a surge of new translated VNs, and probably even more in the future - of course most of those VNs were the first part if the VN itself was a series.

Was going through the steam upcoming games and happened to stumble across this

Tayutama 2 (It seems Hikari Field is going to be working with Abyss Translations to translate the Lump of Sugar game into english.)

Before people begin asking according to the official twitter

Is there going to be a 18+ patch of Tayutama2 -you’re the only one- ? The answer is YES!😜pic.twitter.com/hEDlShScSp
This said still hesitant on the quality and it is listed on steam for a December 2017 release...so I guess people will find out the quality sooner than later.

2 hours ago, kyrt said:
This said still hesitant on the quality and it is listed on steam for a December 2017 release...so I guess people will find out the quality sooner than later.

Don't we already know the quality?  It's crap, and when people told them it was crap, the company blew them off.

I'm a huge fan of monster girls, but I've already basically written this game off as not worth getting excited about.

2 hours ago, kyrt said:

Was going through the steam upcoming games and happened to stumble across this

Tayutama 2 (It seems Hikari Field is going to be working with Abyss Translations to translate the Lump of Sugar game into english.)

Before people begin asking according to the official twitter

Is there going to be a 18+ patch of Tayutama2 -you’re the only one- ? The answer is YES!pic.twitter.com/hEDlShScSp

Was this posted as a new thread and merged into this one or something? lol. Try out the demo on the steam page. The quality is pretty self-apparent.

23 hours ago, Hiashi said:

Looks like there's gonna be an uncensored version eventually too. Now all they have to do is bring the English translation quality up to scratch and I'll be willing to get it.

Cute Youkai(?) girls for the win!

Except the prequel is not translated. So I still wouldn't play it. 

On 12/4/2017 at 12:01 AM, kyrt said:

Is there going to be a 18+ patch of Tayutama2 -you’re the only one- ? The answer is YES!😜pic.twitter.com/hEDlShScSp

Well guess I'll look forward to this then if there will be 18+ additional patch, in which it should be standard feature if the VN itself was released on Steam and Hikari would be even more dumber if they decided to follow Pulltop's way of censoring Konosora and Miagete. Or in another word nope, it's still not enough if they didn't release the first series yet and perhaps it would be better if another company were the one who did the release of first Tayutama, like either Sekai or Mangagamer for the publishers.

Edited by littleshogun

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 1:02 PM, Decay said:

Was this posted as a new thread and merged into this one or something? lol. Try out the demo on the steam page. The quality is pretty self-apparent.

Surprisingly no, the post was actually partially written (and saved below) and rather than deleting it I just kept it along with the tweet. Shame about the quality I didn't even notice it had a demo.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:02 PM, Decay said:

I'm too lazy to download the demo to check its quality. Any chance you can go into a bit more detail on the translation quality? Is it the same quality as the screenshots? While they are not good and are literal to a fault I feel like if someone(preferably a native English speaker) were to do an editing pass on them they could be acceptable. I feel like I'm the only person who's not looking for top tier English writing unless the Japanese version was written in top tier Japanese. One of these day I'm gonna run into a character that's supposed to be a complete idiot, but speaks like they have a doctorate degree in English... That wouldn't be a good translation, but I feel like some of you think it would be.

3 hours ago, Codesterz said:

I'm too lazy to download the demo to check its quality. Any chance you can go into a bit more detail on the translation quality? Is it the same quality as the screenshots? While they are not good and are literal to a fault I feel like if someone(preferably a native English speaker) were to do an editing pass on them they could be acceptable. I feel like I'm the only person who's not looking for top tier English writing unless the Japanese version was written in top tier Japanese. One of these day I'm gonna run into a character that's supposed to be a complete idiot, but speaks like they have a doctorate degree in English... That wouldn't be a good translation, but I feel like some of you think it would be.

You could check out this twitter thread: