Tayutama 2 -You're the Only One- on Steam

Veshurik

Interesting.

Although... why on earth are they releasing a game, that requires readers to know the prequel to actually appreciate it? I've no idea why are they even releasing it instead; sequel isn't even that good and preety much kills anything first game managed to build up so well. Tayutama is an extremely well executed charage.

Edited by Narcosis

Just now, Narcosis said:

Interesting.

Although... how on earth can they release a game, that requires readers to know the prequel to actually appreciate it? I've no idea why are they even releasing it instead; sequel isn't even that good and preety much kills anything first game managed to build up so well.

Chinese fan translations of VNs are very common, and Tayutama has one. Maybe they acknowledged it?

As for an eventual english version, I don't know.

39 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

Interesting.

Although... why on earth are they releasing a game, that requires readers to know the prequel to actually appreciate it? I've no idea why are they even releasing it instead; sequel isn't even that good and preety much kills anything first game managed to build up so well. Tayutama is an extremely well executed charage.

This game seems to have an all-new cast, how essential is the first game really?

1 minute ago, Decay said:

This game seems to have an all-new cast, how essential is the first game really?

Mashiro appears in the sequel, lol. It literally spoils you a lot of things, that were prevalent in or important within the story of the original. Not only that, to truly enjoy the sequel, it expects you to know the first game to a degree. the appearance of characters that were in the first game literally kills all the nostalgia - all the affection - you had from the original and voids any choices you've made, as the ones in second game make no sense in relation to Mashiro. I'm not sure what LoS is doing, but they've been fucking up all their new games; it's just not even remotely funny anymore.

For me, placing characters from a first game into a sequel with no apparent reason, other than to cater to the original fans is just a blatant bait to raise the sales, instead luring in people with a honestly enjoyable story. That aside, the game isn't >that< bad, but it falls flat in comparison to the prequel + all the shit I mentioned above. Original game wasn't exceptionally good as a vn in overall, either. It's just a decent charage with a preety well woven tale that fits the characters and tropes. But definitely something worth reading, if you like such games.

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

I think what's especially strange here then is that they created a sequel 8 years later that is contingent on being familiar with the previous game's story. That seems like not a very smart way to make and release games.

Preety much. It's like they were in a pinch or something, trying to squeeze additional money from their old, well established brands, ruining them in the process.

Squeeze money from a loyal fan base making mediocre sequels is a trend in the world these days, Tayutama 2 to me seems more like a attempt to save a slumping brand that recently only make shitty titles with the nostalgia factor, but from what i see they only make fans from the original game disappointed. A weird move i guess.

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

Regardless how you look at it, Lump of Sugar is the hitler of eroge industry :makina:

That would be Circus. They do nothing but reuse old material and make shit comedy, releasing a shitton of fandisks, side stories and sequels, which are then milked in turn.

Edited by Funnerific

Okay, they're releasing the game on Steam, but why only the Chinese version...? Like, seriously, can somebody explain the thought process behing this decision?

I can see there were enough Chinese people on Steam to upvote this on Greenlight, which I guess justifies it to some extent, but why wouldn't Lump of Sugar also release the game with the original Japanese text for their Japanese audience? From what I can tell they don't even have a Japanese digital release, only a licensed Chinese one, which is even weirder. Am I missing something here?

13 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Okay, they're releasing the game on Steam, but why only the Chinese version...? Like, seriously, can somebody explain the thought process behing this decision?

I can see there were enough Chinese people on Steam to upvote this on Greenlight, which I guess justifies it to some extent, but why wouldn't Lump of Sugar also release the game with the original Japanese text for their Japanese audience? From what I can tell they don't even have a Japanese digital release, only a licensed Chinese one, which is even weirder. Am I missing something here?

Probably some poor executive decision making. If they don't have a Japanese digital release already out, it's just gonna be bound to flop badly.

3 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Preety much. It's like they were in a pinch or something, trying to squeeze additional money from their old, well established brands, ruining them in the process.

Well they have successed though. Tayutama 2 sold almost 1000 points, which guarantee a spot from the top 10 sellers of 2016 and they're making a fandisc which will have after stories for original tayutama too apparently, I'm sure it will sell 900-1000 points as well.

They definitely got more money than making 3-4 random moeges just from this.

3 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

The Chinese audience for VNs on Steam is probably larger than you think.  Look at the geography tabs on Steamspy for things like Nekopara and China is often the top country represented.

Edited by Basileus777

1 hour ago, Basileus777 said:

The Chinese audience for VNs on Steam is probably larger than you think.  Look at the geography tabs on Steamspy for things like Nekopara and China is often the top country represented.

Yeah no kidding, if anything VN are more popular in China than in the West.

1 hour ago, Basileus777 said:

Yeah but that still doesn't answer why they didn't release the Japanese version along with it.  They could have just released support for both, but instead decided to ONLY release a Chinese version, which just seems weird.

3 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Yeah but that still doesn't answer why they didn't release the Japanese version along with it.  They could have just released support for both, but instead decided to ONLY release a Chinese version, which just seems weird.

A rights issue, perhaps.

It really is a bit strange that they haven't released a digital JP version yet. There is still a decent amount of customers who prefer digital over physical editions. I'm sure they will do it eventually, but releasing a Chinese version before the JP is a rather strange choice.

20 minutes ago, Erogamer said:

Why do they even bother having the description in English then?

Based on the text, it's an in-house TL, not touched by native speakers. Most likely just a general description in English for the greenlight itself to get more votes.

(It does literally say " please VOTE FOR US!" after all.) If they just left it in Chinese only, people who don't speak Chinese probably wouldn't vote. This way they might snag another vote or two, even if the game isn't coming out in any other language.