How attached can you get?

Aegis312

Theres probably a similar topic out there but i just want to ask...

On VNs with romance...how attached do you get to a heroine? I played a lot of VN and i never finished some because i felt...bad for going for another heroine. Examples would be...em...Isuzu from Hoshimemo...Maya from NobleW-....wait forget that one i was too excited for Masamune's route then

Basically how attached did you get to a heroine (or hero i guess) in a visual novel?...like from "Meh, to the next" to "I.....I can't do it"

lol it depends with me really. i dont go on the level of "But i love her so much, i just cant not choose her." but there are times where im like "ah, in this route she doesnt find her long lost mother." you know? there are times where a route makes me sad i went with another because it means that the other girls issues and problems could go unsolved.

Yeah, I sometimes get too attached to the heroines that I feel sad when I go into another route.

It's like you've just hit the reset button and lost all of your progress with them. With the heroine eventually forgetting you like nothing has ever happened in the first place...

Then, I feel sad and usually ask:

"Why don't you remember him? Did you forget about the things that you two have done together?"

Moral of the story: Always save your favourite character for last. If you want to leave the VN with a happy mood.

Edited by jetpack003

1 hour ago, Aegis312 said:

Theres probably a similar topic out there but i just want to ask...

On VNs with romance...how attached do you get to a heroine? I played a lot of VN and i never finished some because i felt...bad for going for another heroine. Examples would be...em...Isuzu from Hoshimemo...Maya from NobleW-....wait forget that one i was too excited for Masamune's route then

Basically how attached did you get to a heroine (or hero i guess) in a visual novel?...like from "Meh, to the next" to "I.....I can't do it"

Ninety percent of the time, I don't really attach emotionally at all anymore.  One reason is that the raw quality of VNs coming out in Japan in the last few years has fallen drastically.  Another reason is that after four hundred charage, it is just too hard to connect to yet another tsundere osananajimi, yurufuwa oneesan, genki-kei imouto, etc.  If there isn't something twisted in the relationship or to the heroine's personality or background, I find it hard to even take a serious interest these days, lol.

Also, speaking from experience, most VNs with a focus on romance would be better off spacing out the ichaicha (dating, snuggling, flirting, kissing, sex) between more serious scenes or ones with characters that don't exist solely as a foil for corny sex and romance tropes.

There aren't that many characters whose personality is good enough for me to really get attached to, but it does happen sometimes. Usually I just wait a few days after finishing their route and then I'm able to emotionally move on. And as stated by several people above, I also try to leave the best girl for last as often as possible.

The most serious case of attachment I've had was probably with Rin from Katawa Shoujo. I put the game on hold for months because I didn't want to play any other route after finishing hers.

If you mean so attached that I can't bear to "cheat" on my "waifu", then not that attached.  I love certain characters (Sachi and Saber), but I don't feel bad reading the other routes in their VNs.  They're ultimately characters in a story, and they aren't real, so I don't really care.

If you mean, "get so attached to them that they're your favorite and what you think of when you think of that VN", then every once in a while.  I usually pick a "best girl" in every VN, but only a few get added to my list of favorite characters.

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

Ninety percent of the time, I don't really attach emotionally at all anymore.  One reason is that the raw quality of VNs coming out in Japan in the last few years has fallen drastically.  Another reason is that after four hundred charage, it is just too hard to connect to yet another tsundere osananajimi, yurufuwa oneesan, genki-kei imouto, etc.  If there isn't something twisted in the relationship or to the heroine's personality or background, I find it hard to even take a serious interest these days, lol.

Also, speaking from experience, most VNs with a focus on romance would be better off spacing out the ichaicha (dating, snuggling, flirting, kissing, sex) between more serious scenes or ones with characters that don't exist solely as a foil for corny sex and romance tropes.

I played  lot of VN's and all (but 400? =_=) but theres always 1 or 2 heroines i get attached to because of 2 factors

1: Backstory. For more reason than one and dont call me mean or whatever...the heroine that has the backstory that is so tragic that she literally would be considering suicide...gains 5 points...why? because this backstory makes the MC REALLY important to her....what? XD

2: Well...everything else. Long hair = 4 points. Thigh highs = 4 points Tsurime Eyes = 3 points

Literally give me a kuudere with long hair, tsurime eyes, (Optional) Thigh Highs and that backstory...and i wont play another VN for 4 months...and i wish i was exaggerating

23 minutes ago, Aegis312 said:

I played  lot of VN's and all (but 400? =_=) but theres always 1 or 2 heroines i get attached to because of 2 factors

1: Backstory. For more reason than one and dont call me mean or whatever...the heroine that has the backstory that is so tragic that she literally would be considering suicide...gains 5 points...why? because this backstory makes the MC REALLY important to her....what? XD

2: Well...everything else. Long hair = 4 points. Thigh highs = 4 points Tsurime Eyes = 3 points

Literally give me a kuudere with long hair, tsurime eyes, (Optional) Thigh Highs and that backstory...and i wont play another VN for 4 months...and i wish i was exaggerating

I hit 631 VNs played yesterday... not including replays (it goes up to around seven hundred then).  Believe me... once you've played that many, archetypical heroines tend to blend into one another.  Even moreso because even their backgrounds become archetypical and predictable after a while.  I can still remember and love the heroines I first met four or five years ago, but I frequently forget the ones I played with last week, lol.  Ones like Ami from Semiramis no Tenbin stand out a lot more than ones like Lycoris from yesterday, because they are unique or close to it. 

I came to understand why so many Japanese otaku jeer the standardized heroines (and yes, the nuance is very similar to a standardized test, lol) a long time ago... and while I can sit back and enjoy most VNs anyway, the fact is that heroines that don't escape the formula for their archetype in some significant way are just another statistic after a while.

5 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I hit 631 VNs played yesterday... not including replays (it goes up to around seven hundred then).  Believe me... once you've played that many, archetypical heroines tend to blend into one another.  Even moreso because even their backgrounds become archetypical and predictable after a while.  I can still remember and love the heroines I first met four or five years ago, but I frequently forget the ones I played with last week, lol.  Ones like Ami from Semiramis no Tenbin stand out a lot more than ones like Lycoris from yesterday, because they are unique or close to it. 

I came to understand why so many Japanese otaku jeer the standardized heroines (and yes, the nuance is very similar to a standardized test, lol) a long time ago... and while I can sit back and enjoy most VNs anyway, the fact is that heroines that don't escape the formula for their archetype in some significant way are just another statistic after a while.

Huh...i don't know, in my case even if i didnt play 600 VN's i can still know which heroine will fall into which category and her personality, stuff like that, the thing that makes me want to go to their routes is how they are developed and how her story goes, doesn't matter the personality no heroine is going to have the COMPLETELY same story as the last one or the next one...i guess i like how unique it can be. I couldn't count with my fingers if i even had like 10 hands how many heroines with the "kuudere" personality i went for and all of their stories were different

I feel like I get more attatched to characters in nakige and utsuge, which just makes it so much worse, lol. This is the reason I'm sometimes afraid of playing these, as they might just destroy my feels too much.

But yeah, I get pretty darn attatched to some characters, but I have never not played all the routes in a game because I liked one heroine so much it felt like cheating. I'll rather just think of the best girl as the main route, and treat the others as "what if" scenarios.

Isuzu was pretty good.

But rest assured my friend, checking stories here I've come to find there are at least two types of players: the completionists who, like me, go for 100% of the game if possible, and the "OTP supporters" that play a single route and leave the game aside afterwards.

This is further complicated when there exists a true route, however. Because you may end up liking one of the routes more than the true one (a dire example is Rin Natsume in Little Busters; I don't care much for her and prefer instead other heroines). And there are games where you have to play all or the majority of the routes to get the full picture (Hoshimemo, I'd say).

For me, it really depends on the game and how much I care about the characters' relationships (or, if it's based on self-insert, how much I am attracted to that character). Often, by investment in a given relationship is connected to how it is executed and how it ties into the story.

Ever17 had four routes that had romance, and I only cared for the romance in Sora's route, for example- It had some really intriguing themes and executed them in a poignant and thought-provoking way. It was my favorite love story in VNs for a long time. Sora was also beautiful.

Two certain characters in Fata Morgana, however, have surpassed Sora and Takeshi's relationship for me. 

Spoiler

Michel and Giselle's, to be exact.

These two characters have an incredibly fleshed out and nuanced relationship that develops in a truly heartfelt way, and ultimately, you end up cheering for the two of them. Will not say much more, but that is half the reason this VN is my VNOTY, GOTY, and in my top 5 VNs. (From a literary perspective, it's only matched by Umineko.)

Grisaia's romances in comparison, for example, did nothing for me because pretty much none of the girls clicked with me -nor did their routes except one particular flashback- and it was a banal story if you ask me. Same goes for any sort of romance in Muv-Luv.

8 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Ever17 had four routes that had romance, and I only cared for the romance in Sora's route, for example- It had some really intriguing themes and executed them in a poignant and thought-provoking way. It was my favorite love story in VNs for a long time. Sora was also beautiful.

I had the misfortune of playing Sora's route first.  When I went to play the others, I was much less impressed than I was with hers.  Sora was a great character, they had good chemistry, and the story was very interesting.  (I still need to get the true ending in that game.  Computer failures kept getting in my way.)

During my 1st playthrough of Ayakashibito, I didn't have any real issues going through other heroines' routes  - but that was mainly because the storytelling was really well told, and Suzu remained an important part of the MC's life - even if not romantically. Basically, regardless of any empathy I develop for the characters, I know how to "go with the flow" in most cases. (with some exceptions)

minor spoiler in her route:

Spoiler

In her arc, you have a chance to cheat on her - I will NEVER pick that option - not even just to unlock the CGs. I soppose that's one obvious sign I'm pretty attached to her. :sachi:

Though strangely enough - the heroine I've been most attached to isn't even in a VN, but rather a jrpg - Wild Arms 5 - Avril has had a bittersweet place in my heart for years and years. The only fictional character I actually think about from time to time~

I don't really mind if people think that's strange - I like to think of it as a side-effect of being a sensitive, caring soul. :P