regarding Chusingura censorship

castor212

Heard a lot of bad rumors regarding the english release, translation quality notwithstanding, most prominent regarding the censorship. Apparently, from what I heard, not only they do the ussual genital censoring/h-scene modifiation, they also removes them innuendos and stuffs from the jokes and narration.

How true is this?

Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, castor212 said:

Heard a lot of bad rumors regarding the english release, translation quality notwithstanding, most prominent regarding the censorship. Apparently, from what I heard, not only they do the ussual genital censoring/h-scene modifiation, they also removes them innuendos and stuffs from the jokes and narration.

How true is this?

Thanks in advance

Alright, so I just finished chapter 1 of the Japanese original last night, and after comparing it to the English, I have to say... it's bad.

You are absolutely correct, there is loads and loads of silly sex jokes and inuendoes riddled through the entire game. Big parts of the game is rewritten, loads of small and silly scenes are completely cut out. Several CGs are missing, and those that are redrawn also come with changed dialogue and missing sprites, and sometimes entierly altered scenes.

On top of that, the engine is buggy, with the text, sprites and CGs appearing lower quality and overall just worse, and the transitions feel clunky as well. Overall the English is pretty much ruined compared to the quality of the original, yes.

An example of how much they actually censor and remove:

In the beginning of the first chapter, when Suguha wakes up in Emoshichi's house, the little sisters starts talking to Suguha about the fact that his crotch is swelling up, and the whole scene literally revolves around the fact that he has a boner, and that he jokes about it only being morning wood. For instance, when the sisters pinch him, they are pinching his crotch. This might seem totally and utterly pointless, but what is so weird is that this scene literally sets up for several jokes later on, and it lasts for surprisingly long, too. I counted at least three times I think, where the jokes about Suguha's llittle "kodachi", (which is what Sayo calls his penis,) ends up being brought up specifically in conversations that have been 100% removed.

This is just one tiny, tiny little detail. The amount of nudity, sex jokes, inuendoes and altered content is insane, and that is just from chapter 1.

If you want to read it, I'm sure you'll still get the overall general idea of the plot, but don't expect to get anywhere near the same experience you would get from reading the original. It's honestly insane just how different the two felt, after comparing what I read in the JP to the English version.

3 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

"Ruined"... You're not getting any better than this in English, so if you want to read it, this is it.

Waiting for a restoration patch might be the western reader's only chance to experience this the way it was meant to. I don't know if anyone would want to take on another big project like that though, as we are seriously talking if my heart had wings levels of censorship here.

8 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Waiting for a restoration patch might be the western reader's only chance to experience this the way it was meant to. I don't know if anyone would want to take on another big project like that, as we are seriously talking if my heart had wings levels of censorship here.

You mean in Japanese?

Just now, Mr Poltroon said:

You mean in Japanese?

Well, although that would be ideal, it's not quite what I meant. :P

As close to the original as possible then. At least a TLed version with the original script intact. There is some serious alterations to it, and they are everywhere. It's kind of like reading 60% of a book at this point, and that 60% has an iffy translation as is. I know many people on this forum wants to brush of censorship as it not being that bad, but this is seriously If my heart had wings and Wild Romance level of changes and removed content. Which is a real shame, as the game is honestly a fantastic read.

Hopefully what's left of the plot still brings that over to western readers. (Though with essentially not a single joke left in the game, I guess it can get a bit stale, lol.)

much thanks, CrazyMan

I dont mind censorship, but alteration to the point of staling the VN main component (the sex jokes and stuffs) might be too much of a turn off for me.

This seems like a great VN for its genre, so ill just wait either when a resotration patch happens or until i passes N2

ok so after combing through the thread ningen gave me, apparently ithe main point wasnt the overblown sexual stuffs, but the main story instead?

...uh, pardon my choice of words, but how much of the original is altered (butchered?)? I mean, both from technical language view and the scenes' implied impression 

8 hours ago, castor212 said:

ok so after combing through the thread ningen gave me, apparently ithe main point wasnt the overblown sexual stuffs, but the main story instead?

...uh, pardon my choice of words, but how much of the original is altered (butchered?)? I mean, both from technical language view and the scenes' implied impression 

Hmm, I covered most of this in my main post, but to put it down in a neat overview:

- The story itself should be mainly untouched, although the translation isn't very good. (I personally have not played the entire English release, as I read the Japanese and only compared to the English a bit, but I doubt they would remove anything story related on purpose.)

- It seems nearly all jokes that are at all related to anything perverted is removed.  (These occur a lot, so a lot of the jokes are probably missing from the game to be honest.)

- Any CG with nudity that CAN be reworked has been redrawn to hide that nudity. (H-scenes, or any other overly explicit CGs have been removed.)

- All scenes with naked sprites have been changed, and in the cases where the naked sprite is one of the lolis, they have been removed. (Because the main heroine in chapter 1 is a loli half the time, this is a decent amount of scenes.)

- Of course, all bath scenes with the lolis have been removed entierly, and not altered, meaning anything and everyting said in those scenes is lost forever. The same goes for the H-scenes. How much value you put in this content is up to you. I do not recall anything very important being discussed in these scenes, but I know general scenes with nudity like bath scenes happens a lot, not counting H-scenes, so if we are talking frequency, a decent chunk has been removed.

Overall, this means several points of the story has been rewritten to fit an all-ages release, but most likely still convey the same end result. Just to name a few examples of what they felt they needed to rewrite: 

- Like I mentioned above, early in the game when the protagonist wakes up in Emoshichi's house, the lolis all quite literally play with his genitals. (This scene has NO CGs and no naked sprites, meaning it's all in the harmless and funny dialogue.) The scene drags on for a bit, and also sets up some jokes that you will see again later in the JP version, about the MC's "kodachi". (His penis. Lol. Although stupid, this scene is pretty funny.)

Obviously, you won't be missing out on anything important to the plot here, but you will probably lose a good half hour or so of content overall, considering all the times this is brought up through the chapter. (In the English version, there is barely anything left in this scene compared to the original. He wakes up, makes one joke about "real life", gets pinched, then its over.)

Some of the charm of this game is it's silly humor, and because the translation isn't that good, they don't really have anything of that left. If you take an example like Grisaia no Meikyuu and such, which have all-ages ports, the writing has been adapted to fit the release. But in ChuSinGura's case, you can barely even call it readable. With the missing jokes added onto that, it's not in the greatest state.

A second example. (Light spoilers about the first hour or two or so in game.)

Spoiler

- The shogun is often depicted having sex with her dogs in her room. In fact, at least half the time she is mentioned in the game, or appears in the game, this will be the case. Once again, a silly and weird joke that they use a lot over and over. Removing this won't impact the story much, but adds to the amount of cut content, which just keeps piling on.

During the scene where the shogun first learns about the incident with Takumi no Kami and Kira, the reason she sentences Takumi no Kami to commit seppuku, but doesn't touch kira is because she is mad she was interrupted in the middle of doing it with her dogs, and she only blames Takumi no Kami for it due to being manipulated by Yanagisawa Yoshiyasu. This has been rewritten entierly in the English version, which should be obvious. (Loli beastiality isn't steam friendly... :P )

One might actually argue that the fact that such an important scene is altered might impact your experience of the story in a way. (What I mean here is that the scene itself is extremely essential for the game. Not the sex of course, just the fact that this is where the 47 ronin story starts. If not for this unfair conviction, the ronin would not have tried to avenge their master.) Still, the result is the same in the rewritten English version, but it might make a bit less sense.

I could name a billion examples of how the perverted scenes being removed, but you probably get that at this point. So:

Conclusion: how much sexual stuff is removed? Basically everything. Does "sexual stuff" happen a lot in the JP game? Yes.

Is the plot impacted because of this? Probably not a lot, maybe just a bit around the fine details of things.

Does the fact that certain scenes are rewritten impact the plot in any way? I would personally say yes, a little bit. But, at the end of the day, the plot itself should be mostly intact. What you will be missing out on the most if you compare the two versions is the funny, every day slice of life stuff that occurs so often. They should not have removed anything of the core story.

One thing to note: Because most of the gore in the game happens towards the later parts of the long chapter, I did not get to check the state of this content in the English version. I therefore do not know if they have censored anything related to blood and gore in the game. I would personally guess no, as it is fairly light on this stuff and steam allows worse games, but I don't know.

Moving over to the technical stuff:

- The engine itself is rather buggy. The animations aren't nearly as smooth, and for me they appeared a bit buggy.

- The colored text of the character's speech has been removed. The small picture of the character's sprites in the corner of the text box has been removed.

- The overall quality of the art is lower compared to the Japanese version. I honestly don't know how this even happened, but you can visibly see a slight difference between the two.

Basically, the game looks a lot less pretty, and the game runs a lot less smoothly.

Overall, the game has been changed a decent amount to fit the all-ages release. Add in the buggy engine and the bad translation, and you have a sub-optimal release, that is for sure. But, the game is still good, and even a terrible, terrible localization can't change that.

• 1 year later...

there is a person who named Miyoshi is working on the English patch for the original Japanese version . So the only things change is the language, EVRYTHING ELSE remains the same . i dont know if he even tells the truth or still working on it at the moment . He stated that last year so there might be chance he still works on it . He is in need of people to help him translating 

Edited by Ryuga

3 hours ago, Ryuga said:

there is a person who named Miyoshi is working on the English patch for the original Japanese version . So the only things change is the language, EVRYTHING ELSE remains the same . i dont know if he even tells the truth or still working on it at the moment . He stated that last year so there might be chance he still works on it . He is in need of people to help him translating 

Do you have a source for this information?

Translating ChuSinGura is... extremely hard. Like, I'm an official translator, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole at the moment. The difficulty of the Japanese, the required knowledge of Japanese history + the amount of text in general makes me extremely sceptical that "some guy" would be able to produce a good translation for this. Especially since he is "in need of help."

As for your other question, I own the physical game for all the ChuSinGura titles, including Miburo.

17 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Do you have a source for this information?

Translating ChuSinGura is... extremely hard. Like, I'm an official translator, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole at the moment. The difficulty of the Japanese, the required knowledge of Japanese history + the amount of text in general makes me extremely sceptical that "some guy" would be able to produce a good translation for this. Especially since he is "in need of help."

As for your other question, I own the physical game for all the ChuSinGura titles, including Miburo.

maybe he has a team behind his back , not alone . Actually he are not really in need of help , he just said any help with the translating will be very appreciated so i think he can work by himself. Should i just copy the link in here ? 

How much does it cost . Is it 63 $ ? I was trying to buy the original but people said it costs 63 $ , which is way too expensive for a VN , even big project games like FF XV ,Nier, Assasin Creed does not even cost this much not to mention this is only VN , where you do nothing by watching