Is Clannad something I should use a walkthrough for in my first playthrough?

xGreyHound

I was playing Clannad and I was planning on going through blind and just dicking around for once in a VN. However I got curious and looked at the walkthrough and it looks super complicated, I was planning on going for 100% completion (and I already have an idea of how it ends). I am also not someone who cares about spoilers so the recommended route order does not bother me. 

Don't use a walkthrough for your first playthrough, especially for a VN as big and rich in content as Clannad. In fact for Clannad in particular I would recommend not using a walkthrough at all until you've gotten close to finishing up and are missing a few things that you just can't seem to figure out.

A VN like this one that, especially early on, puts most of the focus on the characters and their interactions with each other and the world at large rather than the plot itself is best explored on your own otherwise it loses a lot of its appeal in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Kabu said:

Don't use a walkthrough for your first playthrough, especially for a VN as big and rich in content as Clannad. In fact for Clannad in particular I would recommend not using a walkthrough at all until you've gotten close to finishing up and are missing a few things that you just can't seem to figure out.

A VN like this one that, especially early on, puts most of the focus on the characters and their interactions with each other and the world at large rather than the plot itself is best explored on your own otherwise it loses a lot of its appeal in my opinion.

The issue is that Clannad has a lot of ridiculous choices to get on some of the routes-to this day, I don't understand how you would figure out on your own that you need to talk to Nagisa to get on almost any route, and that one old teacher's route just plain doesn't make any sense.

It's similar to Root Double's A route or Cross Channel, where it's very easy to screw up without realizing that you're doing anything wrong. I'd recommend at least looking at a guide so you can figure out who has routes, if nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Shota_Victory said:

The issue is that Clannad has a lot of ridiculous choices to get on some of the routes-to this day, I don't understand how you would figure out on your own that you need to talk to Nagisa to get on almost any route, and that one old teacher's route just plain doesn't make any sense.

It's similar to Root Double's A route or Cross Channel, where it's very easy to screw up without realizing that you're doing anything wrong. I'd recommend at least looking at a guide so you can figure out who has routes, if nothing else.

this. it is very very easy to get on the neutral or bad end of clannad because you didnt chose the correct choices in the correct order. ive played 100's of vns and never encountered a vn's choices as confusing and as many as in clannad. couldnt continue playing it sadly without a walkthrough despite several attempts and numerous saves.

Well, I think my honest opinion here would be using a walkthrough because there's a lot of choice that you need to navigate. But after I saw some split opinion here, I think it depend on you whether you just want to complete one route or doing all of routes and completing everything. If you want to do the former, guess you didn't really need the walkthrough. But if you choose the latter, prepare the walkthrough because there will be some Guide Dang It moment (There's CLANNAD entry at TV Trope for Guide Dang It). Oh, and be prepared for very long playtime because according to VNDB you'll need 50 hours at very least. Have fun.

Edited by littleshogun

Play it once through without a walkthrough and see where you end up, enjoying the story along the way. Then use the walkthrough from then on. Games where the choices make no sense as to where you end up are bad form in my opinion and there is zero satisfaction out of selecting the correct route completely by accident.

On your first playthrough, you really should not.

I actually did not use a guide on most of the routes and the worst ending i did get was a mere "normal ending" for Tomoyo.

I only used guide on the routes i did not care about, like Fuko for example

3 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Clannad even has routes that depend on finishing another route right before the first. How would you recommend not using a WT there?

Because the first experience is magical. You feel like you've got full control and whatnot. Like you can do whatever you want.

Clannad actually has a lot of clues hidden in its bad endings. It's just... It'd take more time than anyone considers it worth to get every ending without external aid.

So yes. I'd recommend a first playthrough on your own, then use a walkthrough.

7 hours ago, Zidan209 said:

On your first playthrough, you really should not.

I actually did not use a guide on most of the routes and the worst ending i did get was a mere "normal ending" for Tomoyo.

I only used guide on the routes i did not care about, like Fuko for example

I kind of feel like playing on impulse and just dicking around, it is not something like F/SN where I already knew all of the endings.

28 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Because the first experience is magical. You feel like you've got full control and whatnot. Like you can do whatever you want.

Clannad actually has a lot of clues hidden in its bad endings. It's just... It'd take more time than anyone considers it worth to get every ending without external aid.

So yes. I'd recommend a first playthrough on your own, then use a walkthrough.

That's what I was thinking, hope I am not doing myself a disservice by listening to you.  

33 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Clannad even has routes that depend on finishing another route right before the first. How would you recommend not using a WT there?

I already started it without one so I guess I will just stick it out. Oshawott is my favorite Unova Pokemon lol

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, easier doesn't always mean fun. :holo:

Though it probably does mean more fun for this particular game. :mare: At least for any sane person. Muhahahaha, the power outlet is drunk and screaming.

I mean, what is fun? I, for instance, don't think it's fun to randomly choose while risking losing hours of investment because I didn't know I had to choose, idk, "walk 2 feets" instead of 3

5 hours ago, Silvz said:

I mean, what is fun? I, for instance, don't think it's fun to randomly choose while risking losing hours of investment because I didn't know I had to choose, idk, "walk 2 feets" instead of 3

Admittedly, I only played one and a half route, and I actually enjoyed just randomly choosing different choices and seeing where it would take me. I guess, if I had finished a few routes this way, I would have switched to using a walkthrough. I generally enjoy going through VNs blind, though there are some VNs with really dumb choices where going through it blind quickly gets annoying.