A wild Dovac appears!

Nier

I don't get the point of this thread. Digging up a month old livestream so the community can shit on him some more doesn't seem very productive.

2 minutes ago, OutoftheBox said:

He looks like a frail lady.

He does indeed have some health issues and I hope he gets better soon.

Guys can we at least avoid throwing personal insults at dovac? Criticizing his job decisions is one thing (although I disagree with circlejerking over it but alas), but name calling is something I'd like to avoid seeing. Dovac is a real human being, please keep that in mind before commenting.

52 minutes ago, Decay said:

I don't get the point of this thread.

Well it's to show that he is still indeed at Sekai Project and that Christopher Ling didn't send him to the gallows?

(Translator's note: Sekai means world)

39 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Criticizing his job decisions is one thing (although I disagree with circlejerking over it but alas)

Sekai Project have released some of my favorites VN physically, so their "decisions" is pretty good in my book.

MangaGamer has some great VNs that I really like too, but unfortunately they are digital-only...

Edited by Nier

About the video, I'd already knew about that but after I saw the conclusion I conclude that there's no interesting news that I could gather from the video itself. For Dovac, well I think as long as he stay out of media social he was fine though ie no problem (I admit that I was the one who dislike him though). And if he was really sick, I couldn't say anything but get well soon there (Also just stay away from commenting at social media if he really want to avoid the flame, I guess).

13 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Guys can we at least avoid throwing personal insults at dovac? Criticizing his job decisions is one thing (although I disagree with circlejerking over it but alas), but name calling is something I'd like to avoid seeing. Dovac is a real human being, please keep that in mind before commenting.

He's not our "chum" nor friend, either. But damn son, kudos to you for pointing this out in our modern day and age.

10 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Anyway, anything worth knowing in the video besides two dudes playing games for kids?

Nope. They need to recognize the fact they are incredibly boring and uninspiring; you can literally fall asleep watching their streams and people are still surprised vn's remain such a niche, when they're literally unable to sell/advertise their products?

Edited by Narcosis

4 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Nope. They need to recognize the fact they are incredibly boring and uninspiring; you can literally fall asleep watching their streams and people are still surprised vn's remain such a niche, when they're literally unable to sell/advertise their products?

Why are you so mad

9 hours ago, KonpekiUmi said:

Isn't Dovac that person I've heard about who got into some Twitter argument? I've heard about it from my friends.

There was a lot of drama involved with wild guess speculations and rumors, including the idea that SP might actually disband.

I'm not a person to judge others, but after what he did, Dovac shouldn't even show his face in public anymore, at least not within this community; not without at least a tiny bit of penitence and remorse. I like SP as a whole, but what Dovac did was incredibly immature and lowered an already low esteem regarding SP; tl&dr it hurts their business (which in overall, most of us could give a rats' ass about) and hurts the entire industry, too. The latter is something everyone of us should care about, because it affects us as consumers and developers. SP did lost a handful of promising contracts after the whole mess and I even remember Dovac complaining about how stupid it all was. He is a skilled guy, but should just keep his mouth shut and focus on work instead.

Two, simple, short tweets. That's what it takes to literally almost kill a business that took years to build.

Conclusion? Don't do PR if you're oversensitive :Teeku:

Edited by Narcosis

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

There was a lot of drama involved with wild guess speculations and rumors, including the idea that SP might actually disband.

I'm not a person to judge others, but after what he did, Dovac shouldn't even show his face in public anymore, at least not within this community; not without at least a tiny bit of penitence and remorse. I like SP as a whole, but what Dovac did was incredibly immature and lowered an already low esteem regarding SP; tl&dr it hurts their business (which in overall, most of us could give a rats' ass about) and hurts the entire industry, too. The latter is something everyone of us should care about, because it affects us as consumers and developers. SP did lost a handful of promising contracts after the whole mess and I even remember Dovac complaining about how stupid it all was. He is a skilled guy, but should just keep his mouth shut and focus on work instead.

Two, simple, short tweets. That's what it takes to literally almost kill a business that took years to build.

Conclusion? Don't do PR if you're oversensitive :Teeku:

I wonder what he did to ruin his reputation? By the looks of it, he isn't exactly in the position to be CEO if he lacks the maturity needed for responsibility.

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

The impact those tweets had on the company as a whole ultimately ended up being minimal. The drama people were drumming up over it was either manufactured or imagined. SP was never even remotely close to being in danger of dissolution.

Sekai Project is literally doing better than ever now, and two tweets literally did not literally almost kill the business, and this is literally one of the most hyperbolic posts I've ever read on this forum. Literally.

16 minutes ago, Decay said:

The impact those tweets had on the company as a whole ultimately ended up being minimal. The drama people were drumming up over it was either manufactured or imagined. SP was never even remotely close to being in danger of dissolution.

Sekai Project is literally doing better than ever now, and two tweets literally did not literally almost kill the business, and this is literally one of the most hyperbolic posts I've ever read on this forum. Literally.

You're propably reading into it too deeply. It was obvious they won't ever close their doors. What's obvious though is that bad PR led to a chain of events, which ultimately took us away a couple of decent licenses. Some of these games we won't see tl'ed, others will propably pop up later. Whatever happens, if Maitetsu will somehow flop, it might actually mean the end of licensing deals for SP and it's not really about SP being bad at publishing, but the exact drama (manufactured or not) people caused, that makes a lot of japanese developers back off and not want to deal with western releases.

The short term impact was minimal, but long term effects are still to be seen. Ever wondered why SP began to publish more western projects and we've seen a steady decline in high quality japanese releases? My gut feeling tells me Maitetsu might be one of the last. Hopefully not.

Yeah, I mean, it's obvious that there was a lot of drama around Sekai Project recently.  It's also obvious that Sekai Project causes a lot of that drama by communicating poorly (not making announcements when they said they would, not clarifying for months afterward, Dovac blowing up on twitter that he never even wanted to be in the VN business when he runs a VN company, these are not good PR).  And I've heard rumors that this company or that company was talking to SP and backed off.  But that's just that - rumor.

I mean, I highly doubt that even Sekai Project would ever issue a press release saying "Fuck you internet drama queens, you just cost us the licenses for OMGWTFBBQ The Masterpiece and When Tsunderes Attack Plus Mosaic".  And really, it's not like even Sekai Project would really know for sure; only the Japanese companies that walked away would really know.  Not like it matters, neither the Japanese companies nor their overseas partners will ever issue anything more specific than vague "issues came up".  And that's only when an already-announced deal falls apart; if nothing had been announced yet, then ... nothing ever is.

Narcosis, if you actually do have some kind of insider info, you really shouldn't be spilling the beans here about it.

Edited by Nandemonai

4 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Whatever happens, if Maitetsu will somehow flop, it might actually mean the end of licensing deals for SP and it's not really about SP being bad at publishing, but the exact drama (manufactured or not) people caused, that makes a lot of japanese developers back off and not want to deal with western releases.

Where do you even find the logic to support this?

Maitetsu isn't going to be the last major Japanese title, even if it flops. They still actively search for licenses of Japanese titles and I highly doubt they'll stop any time soon. 

7 minutes ago, Chuee said:

Where do you even find the logic to support this?

Maitetsu isn't going to be the last major Japanese title, even if it flops. They still actively search for licenses of Japanese titles and I highly doubt they'll stop any time soon. 

The logic is fairly clear.  It's, um, grounded in a lot of speculation and rumor, but it's fairly clear.

If Sekai Project has given itself a bad reputation in Japan, that will make it harder for them to make deals.  If they have strong sales in spite of these problems, they'll probably be okay.  But if they have a bad reputation, and a track record of flops, that could indeed translate into serious trouble for them.

Now, this is contingent on believing that SP's drama on the internets has managed to make it back to Japan and negatively impact their rep there.  I'm not at all sure I believe that's true.

12 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Narcosis, if you actually do have some kind of insider info, you really shouldn't be spilling the beans here about it.

I don't plan to.

You can't only look from one perspective, you have to take everything that happens into account. As much as rumors and speculations can't be considered a concrete base for information, they always contain a grain of truth, because they are still based on whatever's going around. Digging them up might actually reveal some interesting facts from time to time, especially if you're in the dark.

SP did give themselves bad reputation in the japanese industry and devs are already aware of what's going on in the western market. They are actually following news preety closely. Regardless, we're discussing business - whatever happens on that part of the job is mostly irrelevant where money speaks the most. Japanese devs aren't any different, but they don't like incompetence, as it often leads to bad decisions backfiring and failure. Those have no place in gamedev, unless you desperately want to close.

Eitherway, we're on the rise of a new trend. It's hard to predict what will future hold for us, but it's one where publishing companies are slowly losing their ground against in-house publishing. This is especially prevalent for the japanese devs, as they tend to minimize production costs as much as possible and many of them don't even have the budget, nor reputability to strike a deal with large publishing companies. It's where Mangagamer, Jast and SP took the liberty of handling all the middleman processes, but with the rise of digital distribution and better workload methods, their influence is clearly diminishing. As much as right now we're seeing more vn's published than ever, it might as well be the highest point publishing companies managed to reach; soon enough, more and more studios will begin to handle publishing all by themselves, following in-house translations and companies like Jast and MG might find it harder and harder to actually secure good licensing deals, because all of the major players on the japanese market won't be needing them anymore.

Fortunately, their market is preety big and I don't think any of this will happen anytime soon.

Edited by Narcosis

2 hours ago, Narcosis said:

It's where Mangagamer, Jast and SP took the liberty of handling all the middleman processes, but with the rise of digital distribution and better workload methods, their influence is clearly diminishing. As much as right now we're seeing more vn's published than ever, it might as well be the highest point publishing companies managed to reach; soon enough, more and more studios will begin to handle publishing all by themselves, following in-house translations and companies like Jast and MG might find it harder and harder to actually secure good licensing deals, because all of the major players on the japanese market won't be needing them anymore.

Not sure if MangaGamer & Co would really care about that, since most of their translators are contract workers who also do tranlations directly for Japanese VN studio's. So essentially, the 'independent' translators and the translators working for MG, Sekai and Jast are pretty much the same people. And as long as they get paid fairly for their translation work, they'll hardly care if there's a MG, Sekai or whatever label on the final package.

12 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

The logic is fairly clear.  It's, um, grounded in a lot of speculation and rumor, but it's fairly clear.

If Sekai Project has given itself a bad reputation in Japan, that will make it harder for them to make deals.  If they have strong sales in spite of these problems, they'll probably be okay.  But if they have a bad reputation, and a track record of flops, that could indeed translate into serious trouble for them.

Now, this is contingent on believing that SP's drama on the internets has managed to make it back to Japan and negatively impact their rep there.  I'm not at all sure I believe that's true.

Well, yes. I work on translations for them and don't have to rely on these wild and crazy "speculation theories". Plenty of companies really like them, and I know of a decent number of Japanese titles they have or are looking into getting, so the idea that they're looking to stop is frankly ridiculous. Petty internet drama isn't going to magically ruin their reputation among Japanese developers. 

The only thing that's ruining SP's reputation is when they don't deliver products they promised to or handle them worse than expected. How long have Root Double's backers had to wait for the actual shipping of stuff? How many "summer's ends" in 2016 until the final episode WEE will be released? How long should we wait for the uncensored Grisaia's games? Does anyone remember about Kokonoe Kokoro? What about Kickstater for Wagamama High Spec or Nekopara? That the answers I'm waiting for.

Also, please don't start this mantra about "unexpected" localization problems. Sekai is in vn's buisness for two and half years now. There are big boys and they better start to act like ones.

My whining ends here. My hope lives on.