<Spoilers> Muv Luv Alternative sucks

Sovapex

3 minutes ago, Sovapex said:

Lol, Shinji? I heard some stuff about him. Like he's an ultimate coward and some weird sexual stuff that I can't remember. 

I'll stay away from that anime based on that alone. 

He jerks off onto someone once, I think.

Shinji is often considered to be a coward, but he's more justified in it than Takeru is. Takeru becomes a whiny edgelord due mostly to CHOMP and scenes around that time, while Shinji is more a critical examination of the psychological problems that a stereotypical mech anime protagonist would normally have.

That being said, you'd probably hate Shinji. and Evangelion by extension.

2 minutes ago, Shota_Victory said:

He jerks off onto someone once, I think.

Shinji is often considered to be a coward, but he's more justified in it than Takeru is. Takeru becomes a whiny edgelord due mostly to CHOMP and scenes around that time, while Shinji is more a critical examination of the psychological problems that a stereotypical mech anime protagonist would normally have.

That being said, you'd probably hate Shinji. and Evangelion by extension.

Goddamn, boy. He jerked off on a comatose fourteen year old. That's,uh, heavy.  

I think you're right. I might be able to appreciate his development or whatever, but that voice alone is probably enough to shave years off my life if I had to sit through it.

And, I gotta say, self-examining myself, you're probably right. I could not stand Muv Luv Alternative in huge part thanks to Shirogane, but I'm not sure if the same would apply to Evangelion. Can't say for certain. Probably would, though. 

49 minutes ago, Sovapex said:

Apology accepted.

I'd love to see the rationality of someone who'd think Steins:gate sucks, though

Then take some notes from my point of view. All of them are personal thoughts on the subject.

1) Takeru is sucks like every other protagonist in 99% japanese visual novels. Everyone of them sucks in some way or another. But he sucks in Shinji Ikari's kind of way, acceptable for a teenager thrown in such horrible parallel world.

2) You can't maintain a good pacing in such long and massive visual novel. It's just impossible to achieve without skills of a genious writer. Steins Gate also drags sometimes. That's ok for me to relax from battle's sequences.

3) All of this science stuff I've learned in highschool. It's a basic quantum phisics. It wasn't hard or pointless. I found it satisfying for my own interest. Bugs info was engaging and so the military structure.

4) 30% of Muv-Love is a filler and exists for the sake of the world buidilng. You can't show another life without SOL episodes. It would be another game.

5) People die on war randomly. Sometimes because of their stupidity. That's a shocking truth, all right. Nothing to complaine. I agree that rape scene is not needed. That's just for japanese.

6) That's where I disagree. All except Takeru have decent development throught the course of the plot.

7) It's not about romance. They use the most popular options because of predecessors.

8/ He doesn't remember but he can still feels the pain in this timeline. That's why he cries in the start of Alternative. You see the title, Alternative, one of the many.

9) He's a teenager without talents or strong ego. Like of most of us in real life. He's  a bad protagonist but I can still believe in his hardship.

There are two reasons why people value Muv-Love so high: world-building and atmosphere of the post-apocalypse. It delivers in action scenes and in graphics, sound effects for the vn's standards. Even in 2016 it looks and feels great, like you are watching TV's war drama. Someone who knows japanese constantly says that Baldr Sky has everything Muv-Luv is lacking, but we're yet to confirm it for ourselves. "Baldr Sky vs Muv-Luv". That's the topic I wanna participate.

Edited by yorikbad

13 hours ago, Sovapex said:

[everything]
So, that's my rant. :) 

Great rant, great read.
And I must say... I agree with most of your points. Cast, pacing, rape scene (I literally felt like I was slapped in the face. Not the physical pain on my cheek, but pain inside, that I was betrayed, I trusted and I got pain), plot, unconstant 'power' of enemies which killed the tension, etc.
Almost. I loved the cast. They we're all cliched archetypes, but they 'buyed' me in Extra, I laughed aloud with them many times. (except for Sumika, Sumika suxx). And probably that's why I liked Altered Fable the most from whole muv luv series.
Infodumping - I found it fascinating. It was necessary and perfectly fine within boundaries of this story to tell all of this stuff in some 'summary' to Takeru. And I felt probably just like him during those brefings. Kinda bored, but still fascinated.
Angst - no. Crying in the middle of classroom after 'chomp'? Come one, you heartless bastard. :P I loved every second of that 'story arc'. Takeru was completly broken and his pain was depicted perfectly. I rarely get emotional these days, but with Takeru there, I was crying probably same amount as him.

But considering all of this, that's why I gave it 'only' 8/10, later changing for 8.5. It's imperfect game, far from it. But with scope as big, and 'high points' as high as they are, I can forgive much. Muv Luv Trilogy is still my favourite VN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neon genesis Evangelion is best anime ever, and everybody should watch it. ;)
And for all of you Shinji haters (worth read, but heavy spoilers for Evangelion):

Spoiler

jEp4XGV.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I as well can't wait for Baldr Sky, and hope that it will be, while being at least as 'big', even better than ML. Anybody knows if Baldr Sky have 'routes' or rather more linear, like MLAlternative? Because ML series are the example of perfect 'structure' in vns. I can't even imagine story heavy VN with typical for charage route system. Tsukihime, while great, felt like an anthology of short stories.

Edited by Vorathiel

11 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Great rant, great read.

Glad I could entertain you. 

11 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Angst - no. Crying in the middle of classroom after 'chomp'? Come one, you heartless bastard.

Nope. Sorry. Maybe this is a personal peeve of mine, but I do not like socially awkward behavior at all, and that turned that awkward meter way past 10. I'd have quit school just being in the same classroom.

Edited by Sovapex

1 minute ago, Sovapex said:

Nope. Sorry. Maybe this is a personal peeve of mine, but I do not like socially awkward behavior at all, and that turned that awkward meter way past 10. I'd have quit school just being in the same classroom.

So you felt it like some kind of second-person-embarassment? Now I can understand how can somebody not 'get into' that scene.