Need help finding a few unTLed VNs

Dergonu

Recently I have been trying to focus primarily on reading untranslated VNs, as I combine them with my studies to keep my Japanese on point, without driving myself crazy by simply staring at text books all day.

I'm currently looking for a few recommendations, as my backlog, although huge, is quite heavily dominated by simple slice of life/ romance/ drama stuff, that uses the same vocabulary and grammar I have seen a million times before. I want to try to explore some other types of fiction I'm not very used to reading in Japanese, without jumping into too difficult stuff and burning myself out right away. (Such as Dies Irae and what not, which would probably drive me crazy at my current state.) But, finding the right VNs for this isn't the easiest thing to do on my own, so I figured I'd ask some of the experienced people on this forum.

So, what I'm looking for is:

A VN, (or several,) in these settings that use specific terms linked to their genre without being overly difficult. I'd prefer it if the games are mainly serious, plot related, and not overly moege/ slice of life dominated, unless it really does fit despite not being an uber serious game. (I mean, I love moege, but that's not really what I'm looking for right now.)

- Modern/ futuristic sci-fi setting/ something that deals heavily with either technology, computers, robots, A.I, logical time travel (so not superpowers, but something steins;gate-like), physics, etc. This might be kind of vague, sorry if that makes this one a bit hard.

- An old-time fantasy setting. (Like, kings, queens, knights, stuff like that.)

- Old-time Japan, before the Edo period. (I already have ChuSinGura 46+1 installed, and plan on reading that eventually, but I'd like someting that takes place historically before this, preferably nothing after 1500.)

- Chuuni. (Something that isn't too hard. Keep in mind, currently my only experience with chuuni in JP is reading the koiken otome Fandisk...)

- Something crime solving / police / detective related. (Already reading Hakoniwa Logic, which I'm enjoying a lot, but it is a bit on the moege side for it to qualify here, at least so far, so something a bit more serious would be nice.)

It would be nice if you could specify which one of these genres the game(s) you link are in.

Thanks in advance guys!

3 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

- Modern/ futuristic sci-fi setting/ something that deals heavily with either technology, computers, robots, A.I, logical time travel (so not superpowers, but something steins;gate-like), physics, etc. This might be kind of vague, sorry if that makes this one a bit hard.

Komorebi no Nostalgica's got this kind of shizzle, and it's real shiny.

13 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

- Chuuni. (Something that isn't too hard. Keep in mind, currently my only experience with chuuni in JP is reading the koiken otome Fandisk...)

As far as I know, 11gatsu no Arcadia is at least somewhat chuuni while not having the most difficult vocabulary.

Another one that I just have to shoehorn into here is Ourai no Gahkthun: Shining Night, the fandisk for Gahkthun, as the title will tell you, and with Tesla still as the protagonist and as a detective to boot

19 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

As far as I know, 11gatsu no Arcadia is at least somewhat chuuni while not having the most difficult vocabulary.

Another one that I just have to shoehorn into here is Ourai no Gahkthun: Shining Night, the fandisk for Gahkthun, as the title will tell you, and with Tesla still as the protagonist and as a detective to boot

I read 11gatsu and it has chuuni moments but it's mostly a moege

Sci-fi

Fake Azure Arcology

Re:Birth colony (same series)

Komorebi no Nostalgica

Swords and sorcery (maybe) Fantasy

Tiny Dungeon series (swords and sorcery, but somewhat comedic, no kings/queens)

Princess Frontier

Racial Merge

Light Chuuni

Sinclient

ExE

Hatsuru Koto naki Mirai Yori

Izuna Zanshinken

Yurikago yori Tenshi made

Ancient Japan

Sorry... as far as I know this doesn't exist

Mystery type

Nanairo Reincarnation

Akeiro Kaikitan

Edit: Rosebleu's last few works, Valkyrie Runabout and Sekasuku are both fantasy where the protagonist is or has been transported to another, medieval world.  Valkyrie Runabout is the aftermath, whereas Sekasuku does a bit of battling. 

Edited by Clephas

Speaking about recommendation here, to be honest I'm not that experienced yet, but let's see what I could suggest here.

I think in general any of Eushully games could qualify as chuuni, and for Eushully games that I was interested there was two. Soukoku no Arterial were had card battle and thrown into another world plot (But first two chapters were alike usual moege ie school life) and Madou Koukaku was had almost same gameplay as Sengoku Rance (Also deal with old time setting). I knew that those two were had translation patch, but since the patch was using MT might as well treated those two as untranslated. By the way those two was full of gameplay.

If you want some of sci fi, maybe Flyable Heart and it's fandisc could count (Play untranslated one) although it's only apparent at some route though and very later at that (It's mostly moege by the way). Or if you like Frontwing maybe Island could be good, and since you could survive Maggot Bait there, why not upped it to Tokyo Necro then if you look for more sci fi? And if you like crime solving, actually there's Kara no Shoujo duology and Cartagra which was translated but if you interested with untranslated one, maybe this could be good. And perhaps you could also try Tokeijikake trilogy if only there's a tag detective work for the trilogy back at VNDB.

That's all for my recommendations here, and hope it'll be help.

6 hours ago, Clephas said:

Ancient Japan

Sorry... as far as I know this doesn't exist

Yeeeah, figured as much. Would have been cool, but this might be a bit far fetched for a VN.

I'll probably just do some more research on the Edo period and read through ChuSinGura at some point. (At the moment, I have only studied Japanese history up to year 1580 or so, which makes my knowledge of periods after that more limited. I figure when it comes to stories like these, having some actual knowledge of the historical period will be a great help, even though this is fiction. It also just makes it all the more interesting, knowing a bit of what actually went down around that time and what not.)

Anyways, thanks a lot of all the recommendations so far! Several of them look like they fit perfectly.

Sengoku † Koihime and Hiragumo-chan is from the Sengoku period and the later is based on the Matsunaga Hisahide tale, but the game have some sort of management gameplay and some text is not hookable.

Shikigami is about the Heian period, the language is not too hard, but again it have some sort of SRPG gameplay with no hookable text.

For Fantasy: Eushully all the way. Ikusa Megami Zero is a must play for any fantasy fan. Aiyoku no Eustia is another great fantasy VN. If you don't mind sol comedy, Ryuuyoku no Melodia    or Shukufuku no Campanella might be interesting.

Soukoku no Arterial is pretty chuuni and the gameplay parts (which are really great, btw) weren't translated by those MT derps.