Real Talk: To Heart 2

CorgiKing

Being one of the oldest franchise in visual novel history I've finally obtained a legit copy of To Heart 2. Along with the translation patch I have only one goal...to romance Tama-nee. 

Be real with me guys. Is it worth it to play the game just for her? I mean the visual novel scene has changed greatly since To Heart's reign. A lot of what was innovative and different is now considered cliche and boring.  My favorite waifus have always been strong willed women anee-san type. I'm just worried To Heart 2 has just not aged gracefully compared to the newer hotness.

Yes it's still awesome... but I'm biased since it's my baby. Even if it is one of the original visual novels to invent and use many of the tropes that are standard fare these days, there was no standard for how these things were done back then so the original incarnation is often better than all the copies. Additionally you'll be hard pressed to find a visual novel with as many tropes as this (lol), see: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VisualNovel/ToHeart2 though don't read too far into it for there are spoilers mixed in.

EDIT: And Tama-nee fits your description perfectly of strong willed women anee-san.

I've come into contact with To Heart 2 without knowing anything about it's historic significance or premise before reading it and my thoughts are:

... It's okay? To Heart 2 can be kind of a drag and way too obvious at times, but it definitely holds up better than something like Kanon (which I could only recommend to people who are academically interested in VN/Key history) or Shuffle, which has been rendered completely obsolete by newer, better stuff.

3 hours ago, CorgiKing said:

Being one of the oldest franchise in visual novel history I've finally obtained a legit copy of To Heart 2. Along with the translation patch I have only one goal...to romance Tama-nee. 

Be real with me guys. Is it worth it to play the game just for her? I mean the visual novel scene has changed greatly since To Heart's reign. A lot of what was innovative and different is now considered cliche and boring.  My favorite waifus have always been strong willed women anee-san type. I'm just worried To Heart 2 has just not aged gracefully compared to the newer hotness.

cliches and tropes are only boring for those that get bothered by that sort of thing, i say go nuts and enjoy it for what it is. Besides, if it's done well - execution > originality.

EDIT: not that I know what the quality is like for 2heart - its been sitting in my backlog for ages :sachi:

Edited by Suzu Fanatic

If I could give the suggestion here, it would be just find out by yourself although you may already did that though. Well, have fun for playing ToHeart 2 there and I think it was fine enough if you ask my opinion about that.

Oh, and for recommendations I think as far as I knew Majikoi was the one which had heroine like Tamaki. And to some extend I think Satsuki from Seinarukana also like Tamaki as well. keep in mind that those two were very long VN and the latter was gameplay too. Hope it'll be help.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, CorgiKing said:

I'm chugging along. I haven't had many times to play it. My work and responsibilities keep me busy (And the occasional Titanfall 2 binge). 

I'm super early in the game, I just met Yuma... what a bitch.

Hah, well welcome to one of the reference classic tsundere incarnations then. Funny how people tend to hate some of the heroines in this game; at least that means their personalities are very distinct instead of blurred to make them all likeable.