[SOLVED] Angel Beats! A Third View Chapter 1 - Issue with displaying translated text

Zapiboss

Hello,

I wanted to do a french translation of this game :

Angel Beats! A Third View Chapter 1

I extracted the file that contains dialogues and text (data3.rpa) with RPAExtractor or rpatool and i got 4 files :

options.rpy, options.rpy~, script.rpy, script.rpy~

(These files are encoded in UTF-8 after extraction, when i check the original data3.rpa, it's encoded in ANSI)

When i repack using RPAExtractor or rpatool, it works but the problem is that when i replace the file and overwrite it, the game will still display the english text and not the translated text. I also tried erasing data3.rpa from the game folder but surprise ! The game still works even without data3.rpa, very strange...

I don't really understand but i'm pretty sure that data3.rpa is the correct text (scenario) file because there is no other file that contain the dialogues and narration sentences.

Is the issue coming from the extraction, the repack ? Because when i extract the data3.rpa file first, the ansi file becomes an utf-8 file.

Even when i try to directly modify the text in data3.rpa then save it without extraction, it still doesn't works.

Maybe the game doesn't read the translated data3.rpa file because it has detected that the file is not the same anymore, i don't really know because how can the game still display the original text even without the original data3.rpa file ?

If you want to help me, the game can be found here :

http://www.renai.us/game/angelbeatsthirdview

Game folder

mJ176lI.png

Thank you in advance.

I think that you are looking at the wrong file ... I think the text that the game displays in-game is located inside the script.rpyc ... data files are too big to be script-related, the text that you want to edit is located at "script.rpyc" and this is a program that might help you deal with it ... I cannot test it because I don't have Python installed and I am pretty much lazy right now to bother with it.

Thank you, it seems to work and i also found the text here in script.rpy after extraction !

But i've got issues with repack now. I don't know how to do that ^^"

For the extraction, i dropped the file directly onto the unrpyc.py file and it gave me "script.rpy"

but for the repack, i'm stuck :(

EDIT : I dropped the script.rpy file into the game folder and it takes the .rpy file into account ! I can see my translated text ! Thank you Infernoplex !

But i'd like a solution for how to repack / compile a .rpy file into .rpyc if possible.

1 minute ago, Zapiboss said:

Thank you, it seems to work and i also found the text here in script.rpy after extraction !

But i've got issues with repack now. I don't know how to do that ^^"

For the extraction, i dropped the file directly onto the unrpyc.py file and it gave me "script.rpy"

but for the repack, i'm stuck :(

I think you will need to install Ren'py for that ... If my memory serves me correct, the file that you got now is the .rpy script file, correct? You can edit those easily but to put it all back into the game, you need to convert it to .rpyc at the end because that's the one the game recognizes ... And only Ren'py itself can create you those files ... Try downloading Ren'py and see if there's any option there to compile the .rpy file to create .rpyc ... .rpyc files are actully just crypted .rpy (Ren'py does the crypting in order to obfuscate the scripts so people like you and me aren't able to touch them :) )

Well, when i launched the game with the .rpy file and the old .rpyc file, guess what happened ? :D

The .rpyc file overwrited itself with a new one.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/language_basics.html

It is said that when you launch the game with a .rpy file, it'll automatically compile into a new .rpyc file.

To speed up loading time, Ren'Py will compile the .rpy files into .rpyc files when it starts up. When a .rpy file is changed, the .rpyc file will be updated when Ren'Py starts up. However, if a .rpyc file exists without a corresponding .rpy file, the .rpyc file will be used. This can lead to problems if a .rpy file is deleted without deleting the .rpyc file.

Anyway, you were a great help !

Thank you very much dude !

You just spared me another night of trying / searching !

have a good night (or day for you :D)

Just now, Zapiboss said:

Well, when i launched the game with the .rpy file and the old .rpyc file, guess what happened ? :D

The .rpyc file overwrited itself with a new one.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/language_basics.html

It is said that when you launch the game with a .rpy file, it'll automatically compile into a new .rpyc file.

Totally forgot about it, I think that was implemented in the later versions of Ren'py! :D I don't remember that happening earlier but that's something they implemented later on (I must admit it has been some time since I bothered with Ren'py VNs)

2 minutes ago, Zapiboss said:

Anyway, you were a great help !

Thank you very much dude !

You just spared me another night of trying / searching !

No problem man, glad to be of help and I wish you luck on your fan-TL endeavour :)