Finally here, Himawari -The Sunflower- released

littleshogun

3 hours ago, Silvz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

60a9662980c94d898888ca7e70e69f63.png

So, it was not a typo. This image is from 2048 and also showcases 38,000 km

It doesn't follow that it's not a typo.  If nobody thought to double check that the figure was correct, then the editors could have checked that it was the same figure in both places, and as long as it was the same, the mistake slips through.

Just wondering, how important are the bad endings and the "tips" section? Are they actually important to the story? 

I read the entire VN (including the side stories and 2048-2050) with a walkthrough without actually doing the bad endings, so I was wondering if I should actually go out of my way to complete all the bad endings so as to finish reading everything under the "tips" section. 

59 minutes ago, Limerence_ said:

Just wondering, how important are the bad endings and the "tips" section? Are they actually important to the story? 

I read the entire VN (including the side stories and 2048-2050) with a walkthrough without actually doing the bad endings, so I was wondering if I should actually go out of my way to complete all the bad endings so as to finish reading everything under the "tips" section. 

They are, very. At times even more than the actual endings and you just did the worst thing one could do reading Himawari. You're beyond saving now :meguface:

Jokes aside, I wouldn't advise anyone to skip them. I guess it's because people mostly mix those as in "game over" screens with actual bad endings with a story. In Himawari, most of those endings often reveal important bits of information or act as "what if's". It's not only advised to see them all, but they are literally required to 100% the game and access one of the most important endings (yeah, that's the end of sorts - or more like an explanation - to the so-called "Aries route").

2 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

They are, very. At times even more than the actual endings and you just did the worst thing one could do reading Himawari. You're beyond saving now :meguface:

Welp, screw me :komari: . 

Actually, are all the stories in the tips section mainly focusing on the "main characters" (Aries, Aqua, Youichhi, Asuka)? 

Spoiler

I was hoping that they would talk a bit more about Momiji (the girl from the side routes) because I found her character really ineteresting, and also because the story didn't exactly explain a lot about what happened to her. 

Thanks for the advice though. 

2 hours ago, Limerence_ said:

Welp, screw me :komari: . 

Actually, are all the stories in the tips section mainly focusing on the "main characters" (Aries, Aqua, Youichhi, Asuka)? 

Hide contents

I was hoping that they would talk a bit more about Momiji (the girl from the side routes) because I found her character really ineteresting, and also because the story didn't exactly explain a lot about what happened to her. 

Thanks for the advice though. 

High five, Momiji fan!

Well, I've played thru Asuka's route but haven't finished the side stuff or tips.

Spoiler

I enjoyed the first chapter. Especially the prez. The story is average and the sci-fi felt like mere trappings. Yet you're left in the dark about enough that I kept reading.

2048 - Ugh.. I agree it went on for too long especially since in retrospect Aqua's "relationship" with Diago felt contrived to act as a mirror to the MC's lost love. I was actually a bit more bothered that two men that could have been Aqua's grandfathers were encouraging her to drink like a fish. Overall though I think it was the shift in tone and Aqua herself. Given the totalitarian nature of their confinement on the sunflower and the hints of some truly evil experimentation occurring you can certainly empathize with her situation. Yet her behavior reminds me of some crazy women I've had relationships with. I suppose that means I found Aqua's character believable. Though I really had a hard time with her fixation on Diago. It seemed rather flippant even for a first love. As for the story it's ok. Some things get revealed but it wasn't that surprising tbh.

Aqua's Route- I figured Souichirou was somehow involved with the terrorist but I was off the mark on the motivations/crash. Again not a big fan of Aqua. That's not to say I hate her. Just hate how she deals with romance. Here's where the fridge logic starts getting to me (assuming some of this is not explained in the sides/tips) -

1) There was over a decade gap between the outbreak of the lunar virus on the station and the crashing of space plane. IIRC they said approx 150 were infected originally. So over a decade's time these people only spread it to another 350? Total of 500? I know Japanese are supposedly modest and they're not as likely to go around kissing random people. But this completely ignores people dating and child birth. This doesn't seem like a deadly pandemic that requires what amounts to a terrorist act disguised as redemption.

2) Aoi is allowed to live on earth despite being infected by Akari from birth. Even Asuka might be but I don't think they're clear on the timeline there.

3) I like Aeris but unfortunately she turns plot device when she is able to create a cure in months when Souichirou had years. I know Aeris is supposed to be a genius for reasons (none of the other girls are but I guess you can hand wave it away by saying they're all slightly different genetically and Aeris is the youngest/newest iirc) but they also say that she helped Souichirou with his lab work. I was left with the impression it wasn't just coding, and if it was only with coding then where the hell did she get the knowledge to create the cure? For that matter why couldn't she finish the work Akiri was doing to try to cure Akari as that would have been applicable to Asuka? I can only assume because it wasn't dramatic enough.

4) Why was the virus seemingly selective in whom it caused amnesia? The MC's amnesia was trauma not the virus and they make no mention of any of the infected on the space plane showing symptoms. You'd think authorities would get suspicious if a large number of amnesiacs/dementia patients die in an "accident". Yet Akari, Aoi, and Diago (might) be effected.

All in all the Lunar virus felt inconsistent and merely a vehicle to up the stakes in a story that would otherwise have little real conflict.

Asuka's Route-I like her but this felt underwhelming. It felt rushed considering they never have the MC deal with Aoi or his memory here. Asuka should have been infected too since they kissed a year ago. The final straw is Akiri. They try to paint him as just misunderstood. That he wanted a peaceful solution. Yet he is driven to transfer memory into clones as part of his bid to save humanity. So really he should be desperate for more samples of the virus to continue the research Souichirou was against. Not to mention he doesn't seem to care about the lost data from the terrorist incident. A very underwhelming antagonist.

Despite all this it was an ok read. I just didn't think it was great.

• 2 weeks later...

So, can someone tell me what was up with that ending? I mean the scene with Cosmos and...

Spoiler

Himawari. What was all that about living on the moon for millions of years and Cosmos awakening to her memories and whatnot? It came totally out of nowhere, so not sure what to make of that..

@niichan

I know, right? Felt a bit cheap to throw in a open ended twist like that at the end. Honestly I'd have liked the game more if they just cut out all the romance and concentrated on having a consistent Sci-Fi plot.

Spoiler

Some of it seems to be explained in the side stories but I never finished them so I don't know to what extent. At first I thought the Alice Foundation was behind it all but it seems they are just another faction doing similar genetic research. Seems like everyone is being manipulated by these awakened designer kids. Or at least that's my guess. And it all revolves around the lunar virus and/or god's whatchamacallits (The Orbs/UFO/Alice Implants). It seems the story borrows flavor from the Japanese Folklore about the usagi on the moon. I forget the details though.

@niichan, @EdwardWongHPTIV: Read the side-stories, available in one of the main menu options. They won't actually explain things, but they do push things in that direction and add more hints and foreshadowing, which is to be resolved in Aqua After, the fandisc we will never get.

Edited by Decay