Most underrated VN of all time?

Sovapex

2 hours ago, littleshogun said:

(Not me by the way, since the size was quite unbeliveable to say the least (Around 16 GB)).

I guess that's what happens when you put the entirety of your game into video form...:illya:

On the subject of this thread, I'd guess the real most overlooked VN would be untranslated, and probably highly obsucre. I've heard some people say that https://vndb.org/v6475 is very good, for example, but it's never discussed here.

22 minutes ago, Shota_Victory said:

I've heard some people say that https://vndb.org/v6475 is very good, for example, but it's never discussed here.

Probably because most people here are moebutas who don't play anything older than 2010.

Jisatsu is a great game, awesome writing and very intriguing ideas. Wouldn't say it's underrated though. Together with Sayonara wo Oshiete arguably the most well-known Denpa game that is actually good.

2 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

Probably because most people here are moebutas who don't play anything older than 2010.

Jisatsu is a great game, awesome writing and very intriguing ideas. Wouldn't say it's underrated though. Together with Sayonara wo Oshiete arguably the most well-known Denpa game that is actually good.

Yeah, it's probably on the top of my list of games to play when I learn Japanese.

It doesn't help that denpa's an obscure genre already.

• 6 months later...
On Thu Nov 10 2016 at 7:59 AM, Sovapex said:

First post of Fuwanovel, but I've got to get something off my chest. 

BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend is my favorite visual novel of all time, and I am shocked that many people overlook this title. I've read Umineko, Fate Stay Night, Saya No Uta, Steins Gate, and whilst I love all of them, this surpasses them by a country mile. IMO, of course. 

Sure, it's not 100% visual novel. It's a 2d fighter, but nonetheless, it sports a story mode that is full of compelling, indepedent and well-written characters and some of the most amazing dialogue I've seen in a Japanese game (maybe because of it's stellar translation, but a lot of VNs I read have 'meh' dialogue). Plus, it's got a 'stylish' mode there for players who just want to enjoy the story and not worry about getting their ass whooped, and the fights are nowhere near as frequent as, say, MK's story. 

I'd mention the premise of the story, but to be honest, it's generic. That doesn't matter though. The characterization, plot development and the setting of Blazblue more than make up for it. 

The one problem I have with it is that it requires a intermediate understanding of science. Shroders Cat, Quantum Physics etc. play a role in the story, and a lot of terminology will be lost of you if you do not understand what terms like 'Causality' and 'Observer (Catbox theory)' mean. At first I had no idea what any of it meant, but the pros outweighed all of this like a truck was dropped onto it. 

Nonetheless, it's freaking great. Any of you played it? 

How's the first game? Calamity trigger I think. 

Remember 11 is very good and very flawed at the same time. Great atmosphere and premise, with a lot of urgency [if you don't handle your choices well you friggin' die], but with a plot that ultimately is a mess and doesn't make sense. A pity, it could have been one of the greatest VN out there [it was released for portable systems I think, but it could have been re-released].

6 hours ago, onorub said:

It may sound bizarre, but i'll go with School Days. As dumb as the characters are, it has one of the best choice-making/ending systems i've ever seen.

Agreed. It's a terrible shame not as many VNs incorporated this system into their storyline. I would have played the heck out of them otherwise, as I have School Days due to the numerous amount of nuanced/varied endings I got.