Dreams and goals you once persued.

EastCoastDrifter

Yeah, just about 2/ 2 and a half years ago I had a completely different dream, which was: I wanted to become a game designer/ programmer. 

I have always been interested in games in general, as well as making/ developing things, however I have never been very good at math. (Which would turn out to be the reason this dream crashed and burned :P ) I found out that in order to get into a university and study computer science, which is the recommended education in Norway for game designers, I needed to pass 2 hard math exams. (I don't know how the school systems are in other countries, but in Norway we have math "levels." They use letters, but I'll just replace them with numbers in case it isn't an international kind of thing.)

Basically, I had barely managed to pass my "math-1 exam," literally the easiest there is. But, I had to pass 2 more exams, which were 2 entire levels over the math exam I had taken before. So, "math-3 and math-4" I guess.

I spent over half a year of my life studying for the first test, but ended up failing it, which left me really depressed for a while. This was during my summer vacation, so I had about 2 months to think about what I wanted to do next, before starting school again.

At that point I realized that there was no way I'd be able to actually get those math grades any time soon, and my dream was kinda broken. Instead, I decided to pursue my hobbies, and at the time, manga, light novels and anime were all pretty big hobbies of mine. This is all Japanese media, and so, I just kinda said to myself jokingly, "what about learning Japanese? Haha..."

At first I thought that was a pretty strange thing to do, as it would take ages, and I didn't even have any jobs in mind at the time. But, after thinking about it a bit, I decided: "you know what? What the hell!" And, I just started. After a year of self studying, I began to actually look for official places to study, and after a while I enrolled in Oslo university, and have been going there since. (My goal now is to become a professional translator, and I couldn't be more comfortable and happy with my choice.)

In retrospect, I'm actually really happy I did fail that math exam, as if I didn't, I would probably have spent who knows how many years pursuing something that I honestly don't think is fit for me. Sure, I like games, but thinking about it now, I really can't see myself actually working with stuff like that on a daily basis. Translation on the other hand, is something I'm really passionate about.

47 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Yeah, just about 2/ 2 and a half years ago I had a completely different dream, which was: I wanted to become a game designer/ programmer. 

I have always been interested in games in general, as well as making/ developing things, however I have never been very good at math. (Which would turn out to be the reason this dream crashed and burned :P ) I found out that in order to get into a university and study computer science, which is the recommended education in Norway for game designers, I needed to pass 2 hard math exams. (I don't know how the school systems are in other countries, but in Norway we have math "levels." They use letters, but I'll just replace them with numbers in case it isn't an international kind of thing.)

Basically, I had barely managed to pass my "math-1 exam," literally the easiest there is. But, I had to pass 2 more exams, which were 2 entire levels over the math exam I had taken before. So, "math-3 and math-4" I guess.

I spent over half a year of my life studying for the first test, but ended up failing it, which left me really depressed for a while. This was during my summer vacation, so I had about 2 months to think about what I wanted to do next, before starting school again.

At that point I realized that there was no way I'd be able to actually get those math grades any time soon, and my dream was kinda broken. Instead, I decided to pursue my hobbies, and at the time, manga, light novels and anime were all pretty big hobbies of mine. This is all Japanese media, and so, I just kinda said to myself jokingly, "what about learning Japanese? Haha..."

At first I thought that was a pretty strange thing to do, as it would take ages, and I didn't even have any jobs in mind at the time. But, after thinking about it a bit, I decided: "you know what? What the hell!" And, I just started. After a year of self studying, I began to actually look for official places to study, and after a while I enrolled in Oslo university, and have been going there since. (My goal now is to become a professional translator, and I couldn't be more comfortable and happy with my choice.)

In retrospect, I'm actually really happy I did fail that math exam, as if I didn't, I would probably have spent who knows how many years pursuing something that I honestly don't think is fit for me. Sure, I like games, but thinking about it now, I really can't see myself actually working with stuff like that on a daily basis. Translation on the other hand, is something I'm really passionate about.

I can relate to that. I once wanted to be a video game designer myself back when I was a kid, but I'm terrible at math and I later found out that it was a requirement. Additionally, my parents suggested that I should become an astronomer because I was very smart about space, but I would have to major in astrophysics which is, once again, math. Since then, I have said "screw it!" and decided to pursue a writing career once I discovered my talent for it.

i wanted to get my mental health under control enough to become a father, 4 years i achieved that goal. now my goal for the last year has been get my physical and mental health after my strokes to be able to start working again. my shrink has cleared me now for part time low stress work a few weeks ago and i no longer drinking carbonated drinks and no longer eating any sugar except bread , and cut my portion size to reasonable sizes and because of this i have lost about 70 pounds and now cleared work by my GP. so now im looking for part time work. so i feel for me if you put in the work you can achieve what you want.

Edited by krill