Anime Conventions

okami55

37 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been to an Anime Convention?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I just wanted to ask if anyone here has been to an anime convention(s) and what they liked/disliked about it, what your most memorable panel/buy is, and if you met any voice actors there.

I have gone to Ohayocon 3 times (fourth time this coming up January) and it is a pretty good size anime convention. I go with a group of friends every year. What I like about it is that it is one of the rare times I get to see my friends, I get to buy a boatload of anime, the panels are great, and the amount of vendors there are.

The only real thing I dislike about it is that with such a big group of people I am bound to run into one or two bad apples and I don't like how I can burn through $1,000.00 in the span on three days.

My most memorable buy was an Evangelion Unit 01 figurine. Sadly, i have not met any voice actors. Now that I am a fan of VNs I plan on purchasing a few while there.

Been to some anime conventions before in the Netherlands, though they're definitely not as fancy as the ones in the US. w I rarely see anything of interest for me to buy so don't spend that much on them..

There have been some artists performing on stage too, they were pretty ok and definitely knew how to entertain, but whoever did the sound engineer's work for the stage did horrible.. every single time lol. I think I would've been more impressed and entertained watching some random street performer in Japan. XD

I haven't been to any in like 1.5 years since.. well, I had other priorities. :P

I don't go to any because i have nobody to go with :( I don't watch 'mainstream' anime, although i do watch the occasional game-related anime but no one i know shares my interests. Also i find myself extremely averse to spending money on anything but games, i literally have zero figurines, posters, etc. so i'll probably be quite out of place there.

I've been to about maybe 4-5 conventions total. The last one I went to was MatsuriCon in Ohio and I had a blast!

Generally, when I do go to conventions, its VERY rare that I stay the entire weekend because staying in the hotels are expensive and I can only set aside so much money for anime merchandise and food. But overall, it's been worth it; going to panels to see my favorite voice actors, getting autographs, buying wall scrolls & fan-made stuff and meeting die-hard anime fans who are into the same stuff I am. XD

I've attended Anime Central (aka ACen), just outside of Chicago, as far back as a few days after grad school graduation, and every year since 2005. It's not a huge fan convention, but it draws thousands of fans. Over the last few years, I've n noticed a steady increase of Valve and Bioware fans. There was an xbox hueg number of Hetalia fans by 2010. This year, there were Adventure Time, Homestuck, and MLP:FIM fans around every corner.

I've never been to a con before the the closest one to me is A-Kon in Dallas, Texas. I had actually planned on going after I could drive and graduated from high school or something. Anyone been to A-Kon that can give me their opinion of it?

If you're considering attending next year, then be sure to ask for advice on A-Kon's forums, and read at least some articles on Animecons.com. Do your research several months ahead of time, so that you're prepared in terms of money, travel arrangements, accommodations, packing list, etc. I know that at least one person from the indie group Sakevisual (the creators of RE:Alistair, the Jisei/Kansei/Yousei series, etc) has attended A-Kon for the last few years. The only other internet celebrity who I know that attends the con is Chef Sandy, one of the hosts of the Bronyville audio show.

I was at Uppcon in sweden a couple years, i guess it was the biggest one in sweden until they decided this year was the last. (still small compared to other countries)

other then that there is a couple of the smaller ones that i've been at.

Been good artists and almost everytime i'd end up almost broke after the first day because of shopping spree.

But i guess best of all is the people you meet :)

That is to bad they stopped doing it. What was the reason?

If you're considering attending next year, then be sure to ask for advice on A-Kon's forums, and read at least some articles on Animecons.com. Do your research several months ahead of time, so that you're prepared in terms of money, travel arrangements, accommodations, packing list, etc.

I actually live in the metroplex, so I would actually only need to drive and come home if I want to do that each time. Money... is another thing. I'll check out their forums. Thanks.

I've been to about 5 anime cons and attended 2 GenCon Indies. The older I get the less tolerant I become of general teenager behavior although I'm pretty sure I was as rowdy as they were at 16 or 17.

When I did go to anime cons, I went to AnimeCentral in Chicago. Those were some pretty good days although the last one I attended was really mediocre. GenCon on the other hand is generally an older crowd, and even though its a traditional gaming con, I still find it more fun (probably because there are more things to do). Beer and buds always makes for a great weekend.

I went to the London MCM Expo and my first experience was...not so good :rolleyes:

Mainly because I started getting foot pain because of my shoes so I was leaning on my friend a lot xD

Although, my later experiences were pretty fun. Only issue I have is I have little money to buy stuff so if I buy something then I can say goodbye to other stuff that interests me (bought a BRS nendoroid and never regretted it though :D). But it's fun looking around anyways so it's not all that bad. As for inconveniences, a few of my friends got bored after an hour so majority of the group left whilst a few of us explored a bit more. Like I said, looking around can be fun; ended up getting ambushed with a surprise group hug by a lot of people cosplaying :lol:

I went to the London MCM Expo and my first experience was...not so good :rolleyes:

Mainly because I started getting foot pain because of my shoes so I was leaning on my friend a lot xD

Although, my later experiences were pretty fun. Only issue I have is I have little money to buy stuff so if I buy something then I can say goodbye to other stuff that interests me (bought a BRS nendoroid and never regretted it though :D). But it's fun looking around anyways so it's not all that bad. As for inconveniences, a few of my friends got bored after an hour so majority of the group left whilst a few of us explored a bit more. Like I said, looking around can be fun; ended up getting ambushed with a surprise group hug by a lot of people cosplaying :lol:

I know how that feels. I have both Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis in both my knees, feet, ankles, three fingers, and my right elbow so I know how it feels to be in pain.

I think that is why i like Katawa Shoujo so much because the developers actually wrote about characters with disabilities really well.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Sydney Australia. We have three to five conventions here every year. I've actually stopped attending them in the past few years, because it was starting to all feel the same. Always the same cosplays, etc. This year, though, I started to go again. The first one I went to just because I wanted Jennifer Hale (female Shepard from Mass Effect)'s autograph. I ended up really enjoying the convention, though, so I went to several others. It helps that I have a 3DS now to get those Street Passes B)!

I've never been in the UK but I've been to Comic City Osaka, and to Comiket in Japan. They were pretty awesome, but so huge (especially Comiket) that you really have to plan What booths you want to visit before you go or you'll never get to them. I mostly bought doujinshi from my favourite circles. Also people seem to keep to themselves so I didn't get to chat with anyone, but then again I was also keeping to myself! I'll be going to Comiket again next month, can't wait. :) gonna drag my boyfriend along who's not into any of this stuff, it'll be quite hilarious. XD

I live in Sydney Australia. We have three to five conventions here every year. I've actually stopped attending them in the past few years, because it was starting to all feel the same. Always the same cosplays, etc. This year, though, I started to go again. The first one I went to just because I wanted Jennifer Hale (female Shepard from Mass Effect)'s autograph. I ended up really enjoying the convention, though, so I went to several others. It helps that I have a 3DS now to get those Street Passes B)!

Oh, so there are some in sydney huh. Gotta check those out then. I am in melbourne and strictly speaking there isn't an anime convention that I know of here, except for events organized by local schools that I went to.

Last time I was in Japan, my wife and I went to the Tokyo International Anime Fair. Ended up spending a shitton of money but got a bunch of stuff.

Ill take some pics of my collection and post it later on. 20+ years collecting and no plans to stop.

Oh by the way, my wife cosplayed as Belldandy. Sooo sexy. I keep trying to get her to do that around the house, so far no luck!!

Last time I was in Japan, my wife and I went to the Tokyo International Anime Fair. Ended up spending a shitton of money but got a bunch of stuff.

Ill take some pics of my collection and post it later on. 20+ years collecting and no plans to stop.

Oh by the way, my wife cosplayed as Belldandy. Sooo sexy. I keep trying to get her to do that around the house, so far no luck!!

Role-play night.

Also, who is Belldandy and what is she from?

I've been to anime vegas a few times between 2008 and 2011, but that was with a group of (then local) friends. Conventions seem a bit awkward to go to by yourself personally , but everyone's different. You just have to kind of know what you want to do when you go, or be prepared to wander around aimlessly for a good number of hours.

• 3 months later...

Oh my god I cannot believe you posted that!!

No more Belldandy for you young man!!

^ Daww <3

Well, I've been to some cons around here... Like, 3 times or so, I think. They're not particularly great, though, since most anime fans here just watch mainstream stuff, so it's hard to find stuff that I'm interested in (fuck, I just sounded like a hipster... Oh well). Not just that, but I'm absolutely terrible with crowds. Y'know, like Yozora and Rika in Haganai... Sucks. orz

Then again, last time I went to a con was like uuh... 4 years ago or something. Maybe if I go again it'll be a completely different experience.

I've been to the same convention for 3 years now. It's kind of funny, because I go there with a friend, and he doesn't even like anime (he likes the ones we grew up with like Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Dr. Slump, etc), but he enjoys it as much as I do.

Anyway, I think that in Spain there are a lot of conventions, but it makes me wonder, where is this people the rest of the year? It's actually kind of hard to find anime fans in spain, but these conventions are always full.