Donald Trump Megathread

babiker

2 minutes ago, bigfatround0 said:

I agree with you on everything except that the majority of left leaning people are calling Trump supporters racist. I've seen it happen but I've seen more of the extremely right leaning Trump supporters actually saying racist shit about left leaning minorities and about the First Family.

Deplorable on both sides I'm afraid :( 

1 minute ago, Zakamutt said:

Sadly, same thing happens with your link. I was able to watch it using https://www.proxysite.com/youtube/ though.

Really? That use to work for me, but I guess it has been a while since I last tried. Thanks for link though; I'll have to bookmark this. Glad you're able to watch it. :)

Yeah, I had to pirate this episode too.

But it's better that not many people can see it as it's the worst Last Week Tonight episode by far. I'm actually kind of offended by how bad it is even though I'm already not a fan of it.

Instead of trying to build bridges which is the most important thing right now, Oliver fuels the hate and dividedness even more.
I know how much of a libtard John Oliver is, but saying that journalists should report biased and opinionated (if they have the right opinion that is lol) is one of the worst things he said in his show. I also like how he spends ten minutes telling us that Trump is a liar and we should feel guilty for not voting for Hillary. Oh the irony!

In the end he blames everyone but himself for the end of the world which is apparently right now. So much unironic self-righteousness, it's kinda disgusting. It's like he's desperately trying to prove his critics right: "This show makes people dumb." 

9 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

Instead of trying to build bridges which is the most important thing right now, Oliver fuels the hate and dividedness even more.

#Ratings

Anyway, he's not a journalist, he's a comedian and commentator. He doesn't try to make his stuff objective, it's pretty much his opinion wrapped up in bits of humour. It's like reading a Jeremy Clarkson article.

4 hours ago, bigfatround0 said:

I'm not discounting anything. This thread is about Trump getting elected as the US president and my comment was talking about a problem the US is facing. You being from Britain and your experience isn't really relevant here. And racism against whites has not become acceptable. I don't know what news you watch or what websites you frequent but it's a very minor problem in the real world. Also why would it matter if I did vote for her? She was the only decent choice.

Have we been reading the same thread? Why does Trump resonate with you? Because you're tired of non-whites gaining a major foothold in your country?

Now before you guys start calling me racist or whatever I just want to mention that I am considered white in the US and that I'm not one of those people that think white people can't be victims of racism. I've seen it happen to a friend before.

You told me that my opinion is not relevant because I was from Britain and now your backpedelling as if you weren't trying to exclude my opinion. Now your inferring I'm racist. This is pathetic, I can tell your a Hillary supporter from the amount of identity politics and moral entrepreneurship this post reeks of. I'm not sorry the better candidate got through, your just going to have to learn to deal with it instead of using every oppurtunity to lash out and try to claim that every Trump voter is racist as I've seen you do to many others in this thread. It's utterly disgraceful quite frankly and I've reported it.

Edited by ExtraMana

18 minutes ago, ExtraMana said:

You told me that my opinion is not relevant because I was from Britain and now your backpedelling as if you weren't trying to exclude my opinion. Now your inferring I'm racist. This is pathetic, I can tell your a Hillary supporter from the amount of identity politics and moral entrepreneurship this post reeks of. I'm not sorry the better candidate got through, your just going to have to learn to deal with it instead of using every oppurtunity to lash out and try to claim that every Trump voter is racist as I've seen you do to many others in this thread. It's utterly disgraceful quite frankly and I've reported it.

It's not relevant because you're not from the US. This is a thread about the next US president, not about the next British prime minister. And I didn't call you racist or infer that you were one. That was an honest question and that is a legit reason to be upset. I understand that some white people might feel threatened by the growing number of minorities. And I'm not upset Trump won but he's damn sure not the best candidate. Also, what comments are you talking about? I don't think I called anyone racist or implied that they were one. You can take a look at my comments again if you want. So go ahead and report me. The mods won't find fault in them. Quit being easily offended and go back to your safe space.

Edited by bigfatround0

I'm... Kind of sad my thread was merged with all these other threads. Honestly, who the hell decided it was a good idea to merge every single thread that even mentioned Trump? Mine was titled "Trump is America", and was about an article that mainly pointed out how Trump's attitude and personality mirrored your average oppressive dictator, dictators that America has supported to keep it's foreign interests intact. It had little to nothing to do with Trump's election, which is what this thread has become. Just because multiple threads are talking about the same person, doesn't mean they're all the same topic. This move was done in poor taste, and I hope it doesn't happen again. I'm now reluctant to make any new thread related the US politics, in fear that it's just going to be awkwardly buried here...

7 hours ago, babiker said:

I'm now reluctant to make any new thread related the US politics, in fear that it's just going to be awkwardly buried here...

I don't believe it will be. This was probably a one off. The mods were probably reacting to the 6 different Trump threads that sprung up and they may or may not have over-reacted :P 

• 5 weeks later...

What do you guys think of this new "fake news" campaing

To me it seems the West is trying to indirectly silence News networks that go against their narrative. Those news networks may not neccesarily speak the truth or perhaps some of them do but silencing News Networks is not Liberal at all and is against any Liberal mans ideals and values.

We must stand strong and protect the freedom of press? Or do you guys think their intentions and their judgement of what is legitimate and illegitimate news are sincere? I do not because to me it looks like a desperate move since they lost to Trump and his Alt Right media.

2 hours ago, Dilan Omer said:

What do you guys think of this new "fake news" campaing

To me it seems the West is trying to indirectly silence News networks that go against their narrative. Those news networks may not neccesarily speak the truth or perhaps some of them do but silencing News Networks is not Liberal at all and is against any Liberal mans ideals and values.

We must stand strong and protect the freedom of press? Or do you guys think their intentions and their judgement of what is legitimate and illegitimate news are sincere? I do not because to me it looks like a desperate move since they lost to Trump and his Alt Right media.

I personally think smth should indeed be done regarding the fake news, but not to the level of censorship or forbidding them. I've seen plenty of people actually believe some bullshit and, even when made to realize it was all a dumb fake news, they nevertheless retained some of the opinion that had been caused due to it.

Did they affect the elections? Certainly. To the point where they actually decided them? Eh, dunno... The results were certainly close and, no offense intended to americans, but if there's one country that could get the opinion of millions swayed by ignorance and lack of critical thought, the US comes pretty high in the list. But there were plenty more reasons for Clinton's defeat, so I don't think it was decisive or anything.

Still, I do believe they should be forced to be more open about their news being fake, certainly more than a small line of text at the very bottom of their page, or no message at all.

Many news sites have an 'opinion' section which is full of stupidity, propaganda, and irrational conclusions. The difference is they're clearly labelled 'opinion'. News sites should be held to a rigorous standard and if they fail to meet this standard of excellence then they should no longer be called 'news'. 

That being said, if anybody out there gets most of their information from blogs they automatically forfeit their right to complain about fake news. Just saying.

I think a lot of this "fake news" business started when the Fairness Doctrine was abolished by the FCC and attempts to renew it were vetoed by Ronald Reagan. Unfortunately, everything that supporters of the doctrine claimed would happen have in fact come to pass, and now Americans are effectively divided because of what's being put out on the news.

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

if there's one country that could get the opinion of millions swayed by ignorance and lack of critical thought, the US comes pretty high in the list.

That's where I have a beef with our education system. The impression that I got while I was attending k-12 was that American schools are outdated in how they teach students. Until I started participating in discussions online, my critical thinking skills were never very sharp, and they still aren't as good as I'd like them to be. For my research paper, I used an article from The Atlantic to explain how schools are still only there to meet the needs of an industrialized America. As it stands right now, America does not need a workforce that is capable of handling simple tasks effectively -- it needs a more creative embrace to teaching students how to think outside the box -- but that's how schools are still operating. Not only is this system making it difficult for average citizens to get by with a healthy career, but it's also affecting peoples' judgment in making rational decisions regarding how their government operates. Another disadvantage is that certain news channels are regularly misleading and deceptive because of their freedom to tell just one side of the story, which essentially forces people to do research they don't want to or are unable to conduct. It's a royal mess when you think about it.

In a way, I think American stupidity is justified. There are far too many flaws in how our government operates, and I think most issues can be traced back to dark money.

• 5 years later...

Well obviously more than 7.8 million people want his account back for several reasons, such as either missing him, admitted that his leadership is better compared to nowadays, or just want more meme tweets from him. That aside, from one of the news Trump won't back using Twiiter anymore (The news in question), although the reason is mostly because he's using his own social media. Of course though he may use the Tweet in the future, seeing that his statement can be said as political matter so yeah.

PS - I mention the statement in regard of Trump won't using Twitter because I'd happen to see the news about it in Indonesian TV running text.

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2023 at 4:52 AM, BeeMango said:

Trump reveals the true face of America.

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds. 

Liberals are upset for this very reason.

Oh man, who should I vote for? The 99% Nazi or the 100% Nazi? Haha... 

Slow Biden is as equally bad in that he's accelerating the decline of this country.

whoa, calm down there. so much edge and youll cut someone.

yeah, glad theyre going after trump legally but i worry nothing will come of it, nothing substantial like putting him behind bars.

as for biden, hes been a great president. deals with issues as they come and past ones such as abolishing student debts and providing relief for tragedies. if theres one thing i hope america has learned from the trump era is that congress needs a serious change so that embarrassment of a president never hops to win again or anyone like him. 

• Clephas locked and unlocked this topic