Donald Trump Megathread

babiker

America still has very strong local governance, very strong state governance, and regional representation in the US congress. The president is supposed to be elected by the majority of all the people. There are always going to be winners and losers in a vote, but representation still exists for those who lose, and that wouldn't change if the electoral college was abandoned. 

4 minutes ago, Decay said:

The president is supposed to be elected by the majority of all the people. 

It was specifically designed not to be by the Founding Fathers, I believe. There's cons of the electoral college system, for sure, but people are overlooking the cons of a popular vote. 

That and America was never created to be a democracy.

7 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

It was specifically designed not to be by the Founding Fathers, I believe. There's cons of the electoral college system, for sure, but people are overlooking the cons of a popular vote. 

That and America was never created to be a democracy.

America was designed to be an indirect democracy instead of a direct democracy, which is why we have representatives instead of us voting on every issue ourselves.

I just don't think the cons you put forth actually hold water. Some regions will feel as if their voices aren't being heard, you say, but how is that different from how it is now? How do you think the west coast feels, when they voted overwhelmingly in favor of Clinton to the point of pushing her over the edge in the popular vote, and to have that mean nothing? Your scenario for what would happen with a pure popular vote is still actually happening with the electoral college, with the south and the rust belt electing a leader that other regions feel isn't able to represent them. What's actually different, here?

8 minutes ago, Decay said:

America was designed to be an indirect democracy instead of a direct democracy, which is why we have representatives instead of us voting on every issue ourselves.

Oh hey, check this out. A little off topic, but I got a chuckle out of it:

The first reason that the founders created the Electoral College is hard to understand today. The founding fathers were afraid of direct election to the Presidency. They feared a tyrant could manipulate public opinion and come to power. Hamilton wrote in the Federalist Papers:

It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice. A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations. It was also peculiarly desirable to afford as little opportunity as possible to tumult and disorder. This evil was not least to be dreaded in the election of a magistrate, who was to have so important an agency in the administration of the government as the President of the United States. But the precautions which have been so happily concerted in the system under consideration, promise an effectual security against this mischief.

Hamilton and the other founders believed that the electors would be able to insure that only a qualified person becomes President. 

Ahaha ... totally not funny, sorry :( I will dub these people PROPHETS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER ... sorry again :( 

Anyway, America was designed to be a republic, because the founding fathers feared tyranny of the majority. Most of what they did was to keep the majority from holding authority.

3 hours ago, Okarin said:

Catalonia/Basque Country/Quebec is deeply unlikely in the USA. At least here, they push a nationalist agenda that's rooted on different identity -different language, different customs, different culture. This isn't true even in Spain, much less in the case of America. How is Texas essentially different from New York? Not enough differences to create another country, I think.

Moreover, the very concept of the USA already allows for a lot of independence in laws and government from one State to the next.

That we do.

And an interesting article on why people saying "give the man a chance" and/or "everything will be ok" are simply missing the point.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/dear-white-people-stop-saying-everything-will-be-ok/

Since this guy won, I've been wondering what this means for African Americans, Women, Immigration and LGBTQ etc. I know this may a bit dramatic but I personally don't have much hope for people like me (I am African American). It's clear this guy doesn't care much at all for the people I listed and that goes double for his vice president. I'm also worried about LGBT people and if they'll be set back. Will Trump and his vice president get rid of gay marriage or make those camps for gays to try and put them straight? I don't know. But I'd like to know what others think. Any opinions are fine honestly. 

I think people should have faith in the checks and balances of the American system. It’s said that Congress is supposed to be more powerful than the President (theoretically,) and the Republican Party isn’t exactly a fan of Trump. Trump and Ryan are semi-openly hostile. I think there’ll be a ton of negotiation and compromise, all of which takes time, and before you know it 4 years will be up and you’ll be back to the polls.

UNFORTUNATELY, many of the checks and balances put in place by the founding fathers have been eroded (otherwise Trump probably wouldn't have been elected in the first place.) But the Constitution was created to prevent President's from doing too much damage. I don't really have an idea how true that still is. 

Like Rooke said, trump is not a dictator. He is not omnipotent, and he will most certainly not be president forever. In fact you're quite lucky living in a country such as the USA where you actually pick your leaders, a lot of people get no option.

Regardless of what he truly thinks, Trump is still openly admitting to supporting minorities and LGBTQ people, which at least means if he starts turning against them he won't have much of a leg to stand on.

Of course this says nothing about the actual  bigotry running amongst the population. There definitely needs to be mechanisms to curb this type of violence, should it start increasing like it did in Britain. Hopefully the American people find it within themselves to stay united for once and battle it. 

There are also many tools to dispose of a president and/or his rulings, should he stop actually representing what the people want and really fucking  up the country. 

Remember, just recently Brazil's previous president was impeached. If they can get rid of a president they absolutely hate, then you can too, should push come to shove.

For racial minorities, things are a little ambiguous. Trump isn't exactly going to reinstate segregation, but it's very possible that a government led by him will be more willing to overlook many of the issues these groups experience. When the KKK and neo-nazi groups are celebrating a president whom they resonate with for the first time in many decades, you know things can't possibly be good for non-whites in this country, even if new policy isn't enacted against them. Trump's anti-mexican, anti-muslim rhetoric will create a dangerous environment for many people.

For LGBTQ, things are a lot more clear-cut, they are not going to have a good time. Trump's campaign promises included repealing various protections obama enacted, and perhaps more importantly, he promised to sign an extremely dangerous bill that would allow anyone to discriminate against non-straights in any capacity, as long as they cite religious reasons. Because according to Mike Pence, Donald Trump, and several other republicans, "freedom of religion" means "freedom to openly act on your religion's bigotry." 

He also said that he will heavily weigh the issue of gay marriage when selecting supreme court justices, picking ones that support repealing nationwide gay marriage. 

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/09/23/donald-trump-pledges-to-sign-anti-lgbt-law-to-permit-religious-discrimination/

Consider that a United States president is as much of a political idol as they are a policy-maker. As long as they have public approval, they shape the politics of our country in ways that go far beyond simple policy. Already many Republicans are scrambling to reshape their own platforms to be more in line with Trump. Even one of his most ardent opponents in the Republican Party, Paul Ryan, had little more than carefully considered words of appeasement. Trump's populist movement is very real, and far more popular than anyone but him realized. For as long as this holds true, Republicans are going to shift their positions in order to tap into this movement. If Trump lost, that movement would have been dealt a serious blow. The GOP would have been in shambles but they likely wouldn't have reformed along populist and nationalist lines. Now that Trump won, that's exactly what's happening.

But it's not just the existing politicians we need to worry about, it's the new ones whom Trump's rise to power enable. 

0c83bd55cb.png

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-win-starts-a-new-era-for-republicans-1478738769

Richard Spencer is an outright white supremacist. He wishes for a "peaceful ethnic cleansing" of America, and seeks to turn us into a "white ethnostate." Sounds like a crazy fringe belief, right? Yet here he is, potentially being granted far more political power than he ever otherwise would have, thanks to Trump winning. Trump will not and doesn't have to pass discriminatory bills, the damage in this area he will cause has nothing to do with our system of checks and balances. The legislative and judicial branches can do little to stop our many dangerous fringe movements from becoming not-so-fringe. They may not suddenly all become major institutions capable of influencing policy, but our decades-long intolerance for such views are rapidly eroding,  Our population is becoming radicalized, and with Trump's arrival, Washington will feel like a cozy home to all of our worst racists, nazis, homophobes, and more.

3 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

About the giant wall thing, it will never happen and I am willing to bet my money on it ... You take too much things Trump says for granted, he is a populist, he talks a lot and a bunch of things he says aren't going to happen, here in Serbia we have populists like him, they only talk big but when they need to do something real, they are nowhere to be found. The giant wall with Mexico is never going to happen, for many different reasons. As for 80s, I don't know anything about PMRC, I wasn't alive at that time. As for banning Japanese obscene stuff (where VNs also come into play), I don't really see it happening, unless some higher forces were to come into play. I am more worried about copyright laws and Trump ... But that's another matter ...

People rise and fall, so will Trump, every populistic politican out there eventually runs out of fuel ... Besides, from what I have heard, both Clinton and Trump are disliked very much so this whole voting between those two was more like voting against the other candidate so he/she doesn't win, I think that this is so far the worst president election cycle in the history of the USA, having two such candidates is by itself a defeat for USA, either of them winning is a lost battle for the general public and I see no reason for people to be so angry about it right now, anybody who has even remotely followed the election could see how bad the options really were ...

Because there are still differences between the candidates. Both were terrible, but only one of those campaigned while promotion violence against the opposition, called all mexicans rapists, is incredibly sexist and is endorsed by the KKK.
Do realise how the outlook for the following 4 years looks like for plenty of people in the US, and you'll see why so many people are devastated with the results, even though both candidates sucked.

You know I made the big mistake of looking at some of the comments in the news articles about fears of minorities and the LGBT communities about a Trump presidency, and I see several comments with an insane amount of up-votes stating, essentially, that these people are idiots if they believe that a Trump presidency will have any negative effect on their lives. Funnily enough it is always very white people too. I just, what fucking election have they been watching for the past few months?