Rewrite: Boring, Lazy, Mediocre

GUTB

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

Isn't that the same, though? At least in Rewrite, the heroines are an actual part of the underlying plot that no one can guess at the start of the game.

Yet, take this with all caution, as I've only completed one route, I have the game figured out however.

Well, that is what I meant. The majority of the heroine routes in Little Busters could be completely removed and not take away anything meaningful from the "plot", but they are usually entirely focused on the heroine. In contrast the routes in Rewrite add context and information about the world that makes up the "plot", while the heroines are often sidelined or at least not entirely focused on.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

I tried playing Little Busters, but I just couldn't over the boredom. It's been years now, but I think I read a few hours into it on and off before dumping it.

I must be a hero then, for I finished it (took me dear months though), and would go for round 2 if it releases on Steam with the Whatever Edition (I forget the name).

I do remember though, that I picked the Little Busters franchise reluctantly, I dropped the anime early on but picked it again later and then I watched it fully. With all things Key, I guess you have to put up with, or ignore the things you don't like and remain there for the good things, such as the drama (there are people who deeply hate Key's drama, however). With Little Busters, I had low expectations for the novel from watching the anime before, and it probably counted too. All in all, I think Little Busters' routes vary greatly in quality... but as in any novel with 5+ routes, I guess. Plus, probably the writers were different.

Hmm... I think i'm going to agree with OP on the points, plot holes and problems he pointed out, but i'd rather not agree with his comparison since I've been traumatized by school days for a while.

It's simple logic. Write a long introduction that throws the reader into the world you created by showing some average humor (sometimes it was great) and character interaction to build some fealty to the title. After that, throwing mediocre drama and making idiotic decisions are fine by most readers since they "know" and "understand" the characters. Plus after all the time invested it's easier to extract emotions.

Everything has it's good and bad. Writing a 60+ hour game would leave plot holes unless your editors are very good (which a company like Key should have). But having a long story with many different aspects allows one to forget or pass over these plot holes unless you are a critic, as opposed to a casual reader. A smart business ploy. 

We must not forget that Key is first and foremost a company. That means their main aim is profits regardless of whatever reason. That means anything goes in order to make profits. Sorry to have to do this Key fans, but think of Apple. Apple basically produce nothing special each time but they are assured profits due to the great name they built over the years. Same goes for Key. They know that they can afford to skimp over somethings because they know that no matter what they make, they are assured profits, if not at the cost of favorable reviews. 

My biggest problem with Rewrite was the piss poor action. I loved rewrite, heck i even shed some manly tears, but the action and all fighting aspects should be removed from the game except for major ones like Kotarou vs Midou etc.

Using sprites for battle and throwing in some lame 2dfx is an affront to all action visual novels. I understand the production costs of such a game is beyond my imagination, but if you know you're going to put out low quality fights, the throw out the low quality slice of life to make up. Rewrite's music however is in my opinion, they greatest I've ever heard. A pat on the back to Shinji-sama.

Art was meh. The general story made up for it mostly, but upping their art game would be nice in my opinion. 

Finally, the best route was Akane's route in my opinion. Not the earlier bits, but all scenes involving Shimako and post destruction were pretty symbolic. 

I'm curious to know what others think of Rewrite. This may prove to be a helpful discussion for other devs to take note of.... I know i have.

20 hours ago, Okarin said:

Fall as a studio? Well, when I play Harmonia, we'll see. Certainly the direction they took with Rewrite first, then Charlotte, is bad. But in all honesty, it all began with Angel Beats. Massively overhyped and overrated animu with the only good drama being (for me) Yui's chapter and the best character by far was Tenshi. I freaking hated Yurippe with a passion.

wait wait

im pretty sure charlotte and angel beats anime doesnt count as "key" product.

i mean, sure it's jun maeda's but not key's

unless im wrong horribly that is

1 hour ago, castor212 said:

wait wait

im pretty sure charlotte and angel beats anime doesnt count as "key" product.

i mean, sure it's jun maeda's but not key's

unless im wrong horribly that is

I'm pretty sure they do.

At least I caught a glimpse of Key's logo in the openings.

Another thing is Visual Arts, Key's parent company, but Key seem to have an anime division and a VN one.

Refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(company)

The visual aspect was done by PA Works, as well as the direction probably, but the concept belongs to Key.

In any case, AB and Charlotte are a symptom of the decline of Maeda's writing. The man has been doing practically the same through and through, and when he finally does something different, "kaboom!" Even though, we can't just put the blame about Rewrite onto him; I think he was involved in the product, but only in general lines. The shitty writing of Rewrite belongs to other people.

Just saying, Angel Beats and Charlotte both had excellent writing, they were just far too short. The reason that they may have suffered in quality was P.A. Works as they were the ones that played the biggest part in the general direction and the episode count among other things.

12 minutes ago, Kabu said:

Just saying, Angel Beats and Charlotte both had excellent writing

Excellent writing? My God.

Charlotte's stupid explanation about the special powers also belongs to PA Works? The latter episodes are a constant facepalm.

Key's shortcoming is that they try to put everything into their works. Angel Beats is the perfect example: one minute we have a comedic scene, fast forward a little and we have drama with abrupt transition. It's just jarring. The watcher is shaken to and fro without any real point.

i find angel beats to not be jarring and actually pretty well done, though cut short and not enough airtime.

But hey, opinions. Dont wanna be like OP and forces mine to other people's throat.

20 hours ago, Okarin said:

Key's shortcoming is that they try to put everything into their works.

Hence, the blame lies to faulty episode count and cut short content

Cut short content? Come oooon. Angel Beats, and especially Charlotte have a premise that barely fuels the content in the current episode count. Charlotte feels as if it actually had filler. ON A 12-EPISODE SHOW. Geez.

If you look analitically and leave appreciation for Key aside, those shows are reduced to practically barebones if you discount a few aspects. Indeed, Charlotte is bad enough overall to bring down even the most die-hard Key fan. Angel Beats is slightly better, but never a masterpiece. It's a very imbalanced show whose elements have a shocking disharmony between them.

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

Angel Beats, have a premise that barely fuels the content in the current episode count.

tbh, not really

there are lots of character who didnt got their supposed arc and story development because episode limitation and got demoted to extra

which makes several scene in last episode less than what it shouldve been

the disharmony i wont dispute, but it came to be because of bad episode management and cour length

but hey, YMMV

not saying anything bout charlotte tho

15 hours ago, Okarin said:

Yeah, if you really like a work, I suggest you both watch the anime and play the novel.

nO need to be rude. I do watch and play angel beats. The point Kabu want to say about Angel Beats is that the cut short content is now being told by VN media.

I just want to point out the fact that your statement of "Angel Beats anime have a premise that barely fuels the content in the current episode count" is actually very, very inaccurate, if you take a look at what the show core is about.

6 hours ago, castor212 said:

nO need to be rude.

I was being serious.

If all they do with Angel Beats VN is add content to secondary characters, then it's all a bluff. Secondary characters are secondary for a reason, and if all they do is this, I don't think they'll add anything to the (already convoluted while simple*) main story. Not that it really needs it.

(*): Angel Beats' plot is simple, it'so simple the writers make a lot of pretty silly plot twists to make it appear more elaborate than it is.

And now please go back to talking Rewrite that is the focus of the thread.

Just now, Narcosis said:

Okay, let's say Rewrite is a "fantastic masterpiece" only very few other games are capable to compete with. Will that make everyone happy? :sachi:

No, because I don't like the term "fantastic masterpiece", it is needlessly repetitive. I also just thought the title was "ok", so I demand that everyone else side with my opinion and call it "ok".