Moenovel teases localization of a new title

Decay

1 minute ago, KonpekiUmi said:

I'm confused. Why is everyone having doubts about this translation? Is there something about Moenovel that I'm not aware of?

Surely this thread should be able to provide the proper context. Their previous release had an insanely bad translation and they used ham-handed censorship techniques that destroyed whatever was left.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

Surely this thread should be able to provide the proper context. Their previous release had an insanely bad translation and they used ham-handed censorship techniques that destroyed whatever was left.

Is that so? I've noticed that they're the one's who translated If My Heart Had Wings, so I'm guessing the localization wasn't well-received because of these things you mentioned. I better look it up.

38 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

With a little luck, perhaps they've learned their lesson from the response IMHHW recieved.

if that´s the case then they´re even more likely to try doing it in the same fashion, simply because the way it´s been done/handled earned them a rather darn good sum of money - despite all the related flame.

6 minutes ago, XReaper said:

if that´s the case then they´re even more likely to try doing it in the same fashion, simply because the way it´s been done/handled earned them a rather darn good sum of money - despite all the related flame.

Won't people be aware of it by then? They bought the game, saw how bad it was and decide not to buy from them anymore.

I'm pretty sure lightning won't strike twice for them again.

I played KonoSora when I was newer and didn't know about the butchery. I never played Ageha's route, but I know how bad it is by from what other people said about it.

To be completely honest, I don't mind it too much. If their previous title was any indication, it'll probably bring more attention to the visual novel scene, and someone's just going to patch the ero back in anyway. It would be preferable if say, MangaGamer or JAST translated it instead, but we in the West don't get enough localisations to be overly picky about who does them.

That being said, we should probably start assembling the retranslation team soon, if IMHHW was any indication. 

I love how it has gotten to the point that I no longer look forward to VN announcements for the actual title, but I'm now more interested and entertained by how the company will fuck up with their localization. Will it be the PR or the actual translation this time? God I can't wait.

28 minutes ago, Shota_Victory said:

To be completely honest, I don't mind it too much. If their previous title was any indication, it'll probably bring more attention to the visual novel scene, and someone's just going to patch the ero back in anyway. It would be preferable if say, MangaGamer or JAST translated it instead, but we in the West don't get enough localisations to be overly picky about who does them.

That being said, we should probably start assembling the retranslation team soon, if IMHHW was any indication. 

That's kind of a bad way to think about it though. You're basically saying companies fucking up doesn't matter since the community will just patch it up either way. Why not demand, as a consumer, that the company delivers you a good product to begin with? 

We're very fortunate rusanon decided to make a team to patch up Konosora, but we can't simply assume that will happen every time, especially since translating a vn is an immense amount of work and most people aren't up for it. 

I'd much rather try to get the company to fix their shit, although in Moenovel's case it might be a lost cause.

Regardless , I really don't agree with this "compaies fucking up is okay because the fans will fix it" mindset and I hope it doesn't become the status quo anytime soon.  

If it's a game I'm particularly interested in, like either Cocoro@Function or Miagete Goran, I'll probably grit my teeth and read it anyway. But I don't have high hopes - they probably made too much money to change their ways. Here's to hoping that we're all wrong and that they did a good job with whatever it is.

4 hours ago, Decay said:

Was that really so ??

I've read it a couple months ago and didn't have any particular text which misscarried with the context.

Although I can't say anything about the translation, since my japanese is too basic for that.

In conclusion, I personally found it very playable.

5 minutes ago, Benji Price said:

Was that really so ??

I've read it a couple months ago and didn't have any particular text which misscarried with the context.

Although I can't say anything about the translation, since my japanese is too basic for that.

Could you tell me what happens in Ageha's route? I still don't know. 

3 hours ago, jetpack003 said:

Won't people be aware of it by then? They bought the game, saw how bad it was and decide not to buy from them anymore.

I'm pretty sure lightning won't strike twice for them again.

How many Transformers movies did they make again?  Sometimes lightning does strike more than once.

7 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Probably cocoro@funcion or Miagete Goran

Nope, both have them do not have pink shets.

Imo Moenovel should fuck off.

27 minutes ago, Benji Price said:

Was that really so ??

Text to voice gave me cancer. Half of the shit didn't even match the voice.

Time to do my usual shilling and say I'm 100% ok with censorship in these games, and will consider supporting them as much any any uncensored title.

That isn't to say I think they didn't mess up. Bad translations are a big no-no. I'm fine with localizations, but if your phrases  make no sense, then it's very tough for me to support you. I hope they fix that. 

1 hour ago, Shota_Victory said:

This is exactly the wrong attitude to take.  We have exactly one way to convince MoeNovel to do things properly:  Not buying their bowdlerized games, and demanding they fix their broken shit.  Giving them money for doing a shitty job, because someone will fix it for them for free, only tells them to keep doing what they're doing.

If you care about good translations, and if ridiculous censorship bothers you, then don't buy their products.  You're of course free to do whatever you want, but if you buy their products then the message you send is that this is acceptable to you, and you want them to do it more.

23 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Could you tell me what happens in Ageha's route? I still don't know. 

Does anyone?  :makina:

29 minutes ago, Benji Price said:

Was that really so ??

No offense, but is English your first language, or are you fluent in it?  I've had numerous people tell me that it devolved into gibberish in a certain route, which I'm pretty sure was Ageha's, and all of them spoke and understood English quite well.  The translation is pretty much universally dumped on by people that speak English or Japanese well enough to gauge the quality.  Having looked at excerpts myself, I can't really fathom how some people would think it was acceptable for a paid product.

4 hours ago, KonpekiUmi said:

I'm confused. Why is everyone having doubts about this translation? Is there something about Moenovel that I'm not aware of?

Just looks at these screenshots:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=432577005

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431192003

About a half of the text is an unedited google translated gibberish.

1 hour ago, Nandemonai said:

This is exactly the wrong attitude to take.  We have exactly one way to convince MoeNovel to do things properly:  Not buying their bowdlerized games, and demanding they fix their broken shit.  Giving them money for doing a shitty job, because someone will fix it for them for free, only tells them to keep doing what they're doing.

If you care about good translations, and if ridiculous censorship bothers you, then don't buy their products.  You're of course free to do whatever you want, but if you buy their products then the message you send is that this is acceptable to you, and you want them to do it more.

We're not their target audience. Steam's crowd is. As much as I hate to admit it, our opinion doesn't matter much. In such niche medium the company's evil deeds are pretty evident, but to influence their decision to cut or not cut the content is more difficult because of too small community power.

12 minutes ago, KonpekiUmi said:

The translation really is awful. How can they mess up something as important as translating the source language for a localized work?

Because they know we have no other legal choice not to buy it. If it's really good title, we will "grit our teeth and read it anyway" as our fellow member said.