√Letter since1999 from Shimane [PS4 / PSVITA]

WinterfuryZX

I don't know what to say about this game, there are a lot of reviews around the web, seems to be somewhat appreciated by the general audience, while the more hardcore VN readers are trashing it badly. I don't expect anytning good.

I'm playing the psvita version and I already encountered a bug:

30466570400_eff050f49a_b.jpg

protraits aren't showhing, this isn't good.

Maybe there's something wrong with my psvita, portraits are definitely not showing (that's not limited to the mailman, all of them are not showing), I just updated to firmware 3.63 sacrificing homebrews and full retrocmp.

EDIT:

The game is sensible to psvita locale, psvita system language must be set to "English (United Kingdom)" for the game to work properly. That's the first time i had problem related to system languages on console... They better fix this asap.

Edited by WinterfuryZX
LOCALE bullshitery on console

5 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Maybe there's something wrong with my psvita, portraits are definitely not showing (that's not limited to the mailman, all of them are not showing), I just updated to firmware 3.63 sacrificing homebrews and full retrocmp.

EDIT:

The game is sensible to psvita locale, psvita system language must be set to "English (United Kingdom)" for the game to work properly. That's the first time i had problem related to system languages on console... They better fix this asap.

Dayyyummmm thats just nuts. Suddenly I'm worried about S;G 0

19 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

EDIT:

So you're using a PEGI-rated version instead of ESRB? or do you think all copies of Root Letter will require UK EN locale?

Also, wtf, apparently VNDB lists Root Letter as short length, fk i was considering this but man I ain't paying 40 bucks for cookie crumbs

On 05.11.2016 at 6:14 AM, Eclipsed said:

Also, wtf, apparently VNDB lists Root Letter as short length, fk i was considering this but man I ain't paying 40 bucks for cookie crumbs

VNDB is a very questionable source for the game length, but from what I've heard, even though you'll need several different playthroughs to complete it, it'll probably take around 8-10 hours at max for the first run, hope Winterfury will correct us if needed.

But yeah, for now my biggest gripe with this game is how it was sold for the relatively low budget price in Japan (around 4500 yen for both versions) but has somehow become a full-fledged fullprice release in the West. It's... pretty weird. Especially if for some reason you buy your VNs on PS4, then it becomes quite whooping 60$. I've already been unusually lavish that week and bought two games at the same time (World of FF and Yomawari) so RL will obviously have to wait for a good discount.

Done some tests, results as follows:

Danish - Portaits not showing, text bugs
German - Portaits not showing, text bugs
English UK - ok
English US - ok
Spanish - Portaits not showing, text bugs
French - Black screen after loading a save or starting a new game
Dutch - Portaits not showing, text bugs
Norwegian - Black screen after loading a save or starting a new game
Polish - Black screen after loading a save or starting a new game
Brasilian Portuguese - Portaits not showing, text bugs
Portuguese - Portaits not showing, text bugs
Russian - Black screen after loading a save or starting a new game
Finnish - Black screen after loading a save or starting a new game
Swedish - Black screen after loading a save or starting a new game
Turkish - Portaits not showing, text bugs
Japanese - ok
Korean - ok
Simplified Chinese - ok
Taditional Chinese - ok

EDIT:

I finished the game, took me atound 15 hrs to finish all routes i think.

The main issue I have with this game is that the routes are completely different stories, even if they shares the same lines for almost the entirety of chapters 1 to 8, the endings and the events leading to the beginning of the game are completely different from route to route, some character roles and personality included. I didn't like this solution at all, the story is extremely and pointlessly fragmented.

I have to praise the character design and the detailed (and many) backgrounds, this game deserves to be played for its artistic merits alone, the production value is top notch.