Why Is Danganronpa Considered "Good"?

solidbatman

Okay, so I try to find this out on twitter and all I get are people saying because characters are gay, or its super edgy, or nonsense. I've played half of the first game, and I think its a god awful game with very few redeeming qualities. The characters are one dimensional and predictable, the investigations are bland and dry, the trials are an absolute mess with 30 different types of gameplay mashed together to create some ungodly mess of a classroom trial. The trials are just utter chaos. Poorly done music beat game, shooting random words down, shit all over the screen, its damn near impossible to play and know what the hell was going on. I found myself just mashing buttons until things worked half the time. 

The fact that so many people like it shows that, clearly, I am the one in the wrong for thinking this is a terrible game/series, so I ask those who like it, sell me on this game. What exactly am I missing? I'm not looking for a response telling me that, "the game just isn't for you." I want to know why people who like it, like it. I've yet to actually see people explain why they like it, aside from the, "OMG THESE TWO ARE SO SHIPPABLE!" type stuff. 

Posted in this board because I expect this thread to get as messy as the game is. 

I heard the first game was a complete mess, with motivations for murder and backstories blindsiding players out of nowhere and from what I have seen from the anime I concur. The characters seemed to be reused cut-out models from a dozen other works with little to no effort in hiding that fact. I did hear that things improve in the second game. 

I don't really feel any desire to pick up the series, at the very least from the first game. 

17 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

Okay, so I try to find this out on twitter and all I get are people saying because characters are gay, or its super edgy, or nonsense. I've played half of the first game, and I think its a god awful game with very few redeeming qualities. The characters are one dimensional and predictable, the investigations are bland and dry, the trials are an absolute mess with 30 different types of gameplay mashed together to create some ungodly mess of a classroom trial. The trials are just utter chaos. Poorly done music beat game, shooting random words down, shit all over the screen, its damn near impossible to play and know what the hell was going on. I found myself just mashing buttons until things worked half the time. 

The fact that so many people like it shows that, clearly, I am the one in the wrong for thinking this is a terrible game/series, so I ask those who like it, sell me on this game. What exactly am I missing? I'm not looking for a response telling me that, "the game just isn't for you." I want to know why people who like it, like it. I've yet to actually see people explain why they like it, aside from the, "OMG THESE TWO ARE SO SHIPPABLE!" type stuff. 

Posted in this board because I expect this thread to get as messy as the game is. 

I rewarded both of them with an 8, but now that I think about it I just realized the plot is so forgettable that I deleted more than 90% of it from my brain. At least I can say I appreciated the over the top feel of the entire series, anyway, and some of the crazy characters.

I just liked the experience of Class Trials, they were pretty hypey and thrilling for me and it was nice to get to watch everything unravel with the backs and forths and asspull twists. Never thought they were overly complicated/messy, and definitely didn't think the gameplay was ever hard/frustrating. 

Characters are def. one dimensional and the style/atmosphere a hit or miss, most people who end up liking/disliking DR usually find out after Chapter 1, since the rest of the game / series will be pretty much rinse repeat. With more craziness.

The game's just not for you :3

It was really over the top and in your face, and I'm really fond of phoenix wright-esque gameplay. I'd 100% agree that the character's weren't good, there's only one that clicked with me and really, she appeals directly to my tastes. The courtroom scenes were fun to me, but like eclipsed said, I never found them to be remotely difficult. If you've only played half, you should definitely drop it. It's not like there's some kind of shocking genre-shift, the tone and style are consistent throughout and if you don't like it now you won't later.

People like DanganRonpa BECAUSE it's over the top and goofy as hell. It's so ridiculous that it's entertaining. The game just keeps topping itself with more and more ludicrous twists and turns, especially in the sequel. 

The story isn't deep, the characters aren't amazing, the minigames aren't especially good, but the games have audacity and manage to pull it off well enough to be entertaining as hell. Like yeah, it's chaotic, and that's why it's fun.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

No. It's unironically and genuinely very good for the reasons I laid out. It would only be better if it had a better overarching plot and better characters.

"Chaotic" isn't inherently a bad quality.

I feel in this instance, chaotic is a bad quality. I get the story thing, that its over the top as part of its appeal, but the gameplay is just so messy. I'd prefer it do one thing really well, and not bother with the rest, instead of 3-4 things really poorly. 

That said, youre the first to actually give me decent reasons as to why people like it. 

32 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

I feel in this instance, chaotic is a bad quality. I get the story thing, that its over the top as part of its appeal, but the gameplay is just so messy. I'd prefer it do one thing really well, and not bother with the rest, instead of 3-4 things really poorly. 

That said, youre the first to actually give me decent reasons as to why people like it. 

I don't think the main class trial minigame, the one where you have to shoot "truth bullets" at bad arguments is all that bad. It's not very engaging, but it's serviceable. Some of the other minigames are kinda bad, but it's one of those things where you can overlook the bad qualities of the game in order to appreciate the entertaining insanity it has to offer.

The music and art style is fucking great, for one.

I also quite like the character interactions and such, just because it's jolly good fun-  very few of these games' characters are sensibly developed and fleshed out (and most of them is in the second game) but I'll be damned if I wouldn't have fun if you just put any three of them in a room and gave them something to do. It's over the top as fuck, and while it mostly does not do justice to its godlike premise of having to get away with murder to escape a closed space (I seriously want to see a Danganronpa game that's more on the ground and serious than the first two we have), I really quite enjoy the murders for what they are. 

I also fucking love the class trials. I love all the minigames. Nonstop Debate is godlike if you ask me. Shit also gets really twisted and/or hype at times and I love it. I find investigations really suspenseful too.

It could certainly be better in many ways, most notably the explanation behind everything, but I really enjoy the twists and turns the game presents.

Entertained seriously it falls apart on many aspects but I'll be damned if I just feel like the whole Danganronpa package (structured pacing, class trials, Battle Royale-esque premise, a whole metric fuckton of over the top bullshit, the soundtrack) is a VERY entertaining and fun experience. Shipping and wondering who will survive is fun too. Consequently, DR just fucks everything up whenever it tries to move away from the Class Trial formula (see: DR Another Episode, DR3).

There is not much going for it in an objective sense, but for my subjective viewpoint it's just fucking wonderful.

14 hours ago, solidbatman said:

Well clearly those who like it for different reasons so don't expect everyone to give you the same responses as to why.

Spoiler

I like the gameplay mechanics like recounting how the murder took place, aswell as the debate who took place between the characters giving out their thought and try to find contradictions in their testimony. I like the cast, craziness, how colorful and interesting the setting is. I mean during the game there is this sensation something is really wrong which the characters also took notice. Not mentioning I like mystery games so there is that.

Personal thought: Don't find any point to try to go with the masses and make people sell you this game. It would be better to move on, trying to find another game which maybe you enjoy than playing something you don't.

Just now, Dark_blade64 said:

Well clearly those who like it for different reasons so don't expect everyone to give you the same responses as to why.

Reveal hidden contents

I like the gameplay mechanics like recounting how the murder took place, aswell as the debate who took place between the characters giving out their thought and try to find contradictions in their testimony. I like the cast, craziness, how colorful and interesting the setting is. I mean during the game there is this sensation something is really wrong which the characters also took notice. Not mentioning I like mystery games so there is that.

Personal thought: Don't find any point to try to go with the masses and make people sell you this game. It would be better to move on, trying to find another game which maybe you enjoy than playing something you don't.

I'll keep thinking its a shit game. I gave it plenty of time to get gud. I just had yet to hear serious responses to why the series is considered so good. If my twitter feed were to be believed, the only redeeming factors of these games are how edgy they are, and how gay fans make the characters. 

Just now, solidbatman said:

I'll keep thinking its a shit game. I gave it plenty of time to get gud. I just had yet to hear serious responses to why the series is considered so good. If my twitter feed were to be believed, the only redeeming factors of these games are how edgy they are, and how gay fans make the characters. 

"Gay fans make the characters" what that supposed to mean? :huh:

Are you sure you weren't just boring and made a thread to laugh about a little? :makina:

4 minutes ago, Dark_blade64 said:

"Gay fans make the characters" what that supposed to mean? :huh:

Are you sure you weren't just boring and made a thread to laugh about a little? :makina:

fans of the game are constantly shipping characters together because idk its fun I guess. And it seems most of this shipping is gay shipping, which is fine but does not help me understand why the game is enjoyable. 

1 minute ago, solidbatman said:

fans of the game are constantly shipping characters together because idk its fun I guess. And it seems most of this shipping is gay shipping, which is fine but does not help me understand why the game is enjoyable. 

Well the shipping part truly is something I didn't heard about before although that happens with the majority of things. (In this case I believe some people are just being perverts but whatever.)

Then don't say you want people to sell you this game if what you are after is to hear why people like this game, that make it sound like you want to hear why people did enjoy the game in order to convince you to keep playing the game. :D

• 4 years later...

its good because of the story character, and awesome style. the characters are actually really good, and the plot is amazing. being able to choose who you create a relationship, and then maybe watching them die. the executions, the trials, its all enthralling. it has amazing story, and interesting characters that have depth. the mysteries are amazing, and its fun to unravel them. I even love dug and dr 3. the twists, and the characters really make it different and special. its psyco pop style really suits the story. it all blends together to create a masterpiece. that's why people like it. it gives you something to enjoy and put energy and time into. your free to have your opinion, and if you dont like it, that's fine.