Removed

Harmony Angel

Huh, that I had no idea that it was a "cultural" thing. I just kinda do it to show off something I'm currently digging or something that I found highly amusing. I don't really worry about privacy that much here considering I know for a fact that I live hundred of miles away from the nearest fuwanovel regular.

Well, anyways welcome to the site. 

Hi! I've been studying Japanese myself and it's really cool that you're fluent. As for the profile thing, I think people prefer to keep their anonymity, especially on a site where eroge are frequently discussed, but it's by no means a "rule" or anything even close. What's your favorite VN?

On 2016/11/3 at 11:26 AM, Harmony Angel said:

Hi, I'm a multi-cultural linguist and a artist.

I have been studying Japanese for 5 years now, and I believe that it has become one of the languages that I mastered. Moreover, I am an artist, so I was fascinated by the Manga-Bunka 'Manga Culture,' and all its aspects, which of course includes VN's.

Nice to meet you all. ^c^

Now I have been surfing the Japanese Otaku site for some years. I know that Otakus, and the Manga-Bunka in general, are resented in Japan, so I was not that surprised that all members hid their true information and used anime pictures for their profile photos; therefore, I felt it's OK to be a bit more assertive and to show my photo and reveal my identity--as I have a kind of a more open-minded thinking, and I'm ready reply strongly to anyone attacking my interest in the Manga-Bunka. Nevertheless, even when I entered this non-Japanese site, I still found that people are hiding their real photos. Now, I'm totally, completely OK with displaying my photo--I love my body, actually-- but, I don't know, I feel like I'm doing something wrong or dangerous after I saw this. Is there is a reason for you guys also to hide your profile photos, or is it some kind of tradition or compliance to the Japanese origin of your interest?

If so, I think I'll choose to keep my photo.
I'd appreciate your replies, and I'd be glad to be friends with any nice person in here. ^^

One of the great ironies of otaku-bunka is that it is more accepted here in the US than it is in Japan... probably because the Japanese are less accepting of people who are outside accepted social norms.

I've been an otaku for over twenty years, so I've had the opportunity to observe how the West's side of things evolved... and the attitude toward anime-lovers, especially young adult and adult ones, was generally negative when I first started out... not as bad as it is in Japan but bad enough.  So, a lot of older otakus reflexively seek anonymity for reasons related to their early experiences.

As otaku-bunka became more accepted here in the US and conventions became a common sight in many larger cities, it was easier for people like me to find people who shared our interests, and as a result, the motivations for using non-picture avatars have changed more to match the motivations common to many early internet users.

Essentially, the desire for anonymity is reflexive even if you aren't an otaku in many cases... and the community has a disproportionate number of people of this type.  In addition, a portion of the people in this community are fantranslators, would-be fantranslatos, and/or anime fansubbers (though that last is a dying breed).  People of this type want anonymity to avoid trouble, more than anything else. 

Last of all, there is fanboyism... if you ask yourself how many Star Wars fans have Star Wars characters as avatars, I think you'll get an idea of why so few people utilize their own pictures here. 

In my case, it is a mixture of all the motivations... I'm a fantranslator, I instinctively desire anonymity, I am an old-time otaku, and I am a fanboy.

Edit: Oh, and hello... though I feel like I already greeted you since I hit your request thread first.

I'm just average looking... If i'm really handsome I would be posting my real face here...

~ only my relatives says i'm handsome especially my mom over and over again... kidding aside

I just usually pick my fav anime characters as my avatar to remind me of how awesome they are.

Anyway  Nice to meet you :)