Question to script translators.

The best way imo is to have the lines on a spreadsheet (i used google sheets) so you can add the translated lines (as well as the tlc and edited lines) directly next side the original ones instead of directly editing them in the script files. 

This requires some extra tinkering though which I have no clue how to do but luckily I wasn't the one in charge of this process. 

If you can't do this then I'm sorry to say there probably isn't a great way to handle the scripts other than just opening them with notepad++ and replacing the lines. I suggest having a copy of the original scripts opened in notepad++ as well so you can have a split view for comparison. 

9 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I suggest having a copy if the original scripts opened in notepad++ as well so you can have a split view for comparison. 

Well, right now i am doing that in similliar way.
Like that

Spoiler

BkYUU1L.png

And when everything is done i will paste it into main one.

Spoiler

0g1UId0.png

Anyway thanks, i'll try idea with spreadsheet.

I have worked a few different ways, and I prefer spreadsheets as well. Notepad is a bit messy, especially if everyone are supposed to work in the same notepad file. It's saved offline and has to be manually uploaded to like a drive for sharing, and you can't lock the actual TL field as far as I know. Spreadsheets is a nice way to keep everything neat and simple, with a field for each person. (TL, TLC, Editor etc.) You can lock the TL field for editing so that the TL itself can't be changed by mistake. It's also stored online and auto saves. So, as long as you have the formatting down then it's a great way to work. Looking up some guides on the internet on how to do it proppely is probably a good idea.

As for already existing software you can use, I don't know about anything tbh. For my Tsui Yuri project, my hacker created some tools that my team could work in, which was very helpful. Though, simply making your own isn't something everyone has the ability to do of course. (It worked very similarly to spreadsheets though, and spreadsheets are free for everyone to use online if you use something like google docs, so once again: spreadsheets are awesome.)

1 hour ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Well, right now i am doing that in similliar way.
Like that

Reveal hidden contents

BkYUU1L.png

And when everything is done i will paste it into main one.

Reveal hidden contents

0g1UId0.png

Anyway thanks, i'll try idea with spreadsheet.

Notepad++ has an option to open 2 files at once and show them side by side. That's what i meant when i said split view. 

There are two reasons to get away from the raw script files:

1. As everybody mentioned above, you really want to be able to view every version of a line side-by-side. Having the original, TL, edit, and TLC lines all next to each other when you're working is invaluable to me, as an editor.
  2. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this already, but: you're likely to introduce bugs and not notice them until you're playing the game, if you modify raw script files. Accidentally delete a blank line somewhere and you can cause two lines to elide, for example (seen this multiple times already in the raw Kirikiri script I'm working against now...). Every extraneous engine instruction in the script file someone is editing is an opportunity to screw it up.

Instead, you should find or make an extractor/restorer to put them into some other format for people to work on. Everybody else is saying "spreadsheet", which is a fine rough idea; you can also do something more sophisticated like JSON, with a tool to allow reading/writing the document in a human-friendly format.

I also strongly recommend using git (or any VCS, really, but git is popular, good, and free) to store the files, whatever format you use, since it allows you to:

1. diff any two blocks of work, notably including, for instance, 1) the changes you're about to make visible to everybody else, and 2) the changes somebody else made that you want to double-check
  2. easily restore an old version if someone screws something up

The downside to git is that it's a real pain for non-technical people to work with, so if you have those, you'll want to create a thorough "getting started" guide for people on your team so you don't have to constantly re-explain the same things. Git will also makes conflict resolution more in-your-face and thus easier to resolve correctly.

We use git on MajoKoi and I use the ability to diff random revisions all the time, both my own ones when I'm double-checking before pushing my changes, and other peoples' when I want to see what they're doing.