Nintendo Switch: What are your thoughts?

MasterTreecko

12 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

If it's not backwards compatible, then surely they'll at least re-release the most successful Wiiu games on the switch?

Architecture's a bit too different to make it physically backward compatible. I mean, disc vs cartridge for starters. And I'm not sure the Switch would be powerful enough to software emulate the Wii U? The good news is that the way the industry is heading, incremental increases to hardware instead of huge reconstructions of consoles should make most things backward compatible from now on.

3 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

Architecture's a bit too different to make it physically backward compatible. I mean, disc vs cartridge for starters. And I'm not sure the Switch would be powerful enough to software emulate the Wii U? The good news is that the way the industry is heading, incremental increases to hardware instead of huge reconstructions of consoles should make most things backward compatible from now on.

I'm just saying it'd be stupid not to port splatoon, bayonetta etc. 

The Switch could never be backwards compatible,I don't know why people think it could be. The Wii U has 2 separate devices that work together while the Switch is just one portable device (that stand it sits on is just for TV output). They're completely different things. 

I believe ports might be made for popular titles like Splatoon, but neither backwards compatibility, digital or otherwise, seems feasible. 

14 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Yeah, it's basically not worth getting one due to the lack of games. I know it has some REALLY good games, but that small quantity does not justify getting the console for me, especially when Nintendo wants to get rid of it as soon as possible (they're supporting the newest releases still but I doubt it will last much longer).

Switch releases March 2017. So this Christmas they have to stick with Wii U and 3DS. But, come March, I expect them to be rapidly discontinued. That's why I'm planning to get a couple of games for 3DS this Christmas, as a last nail in the coffin.

Also, about backwards compatibility, keep in mind: 1) the press is as good as shit and tends to bash Nintendo (and any non-Sony company); 2) it's more or less confirmed that it will use cartridges, that rule out Wii U games and also 3DS as it won't be the same kind of port; and 3) it could still be backwards compatible, for example digitally, with games from Wii U and 3DS that you can download from Nintendo's network. This could be a quick and easy way of both providing backwards comp and also filling the Switch library during its first months. I expect that if you bought the original game and have a code at hand you could download it freely, but we'll see about the whole thing.

Also no they won't announce a new handheld. Switch provides a mending of Nintendo's great headache: split portable and domestic console dev teams. A new handheld would be going back to square one. I know Nintendo screwed big time with New 3DS, but it could be seen coming from miles away, also please don't hold the grudge forever or we'll have another defunct company just like Sega.

They might make digital ports that work for the Switch, but that implies completely redesigning how the game interface works (like what they did the Zero Escape series). The architecture of the console (like the fact it doesn't have a touchscreen) means it can not be backwards compatible with existing Wii U games, even digitally.

The Switch is more like a PSP with removable controllers and TV output, to put it bluntly.

We'll basically have to wait and see what they come up with to port the games, assuming they want to. They refused to comment on the matter when asked, sadly. 

Well... since most Wii U games don't even use the tablet controller, you could get those on the Switch. You'd only miss on Starfox and such. 3DS also don't need special touches -only removing the 3D effect, but then again, most games don't even use it or it can be easily removed, I think.

I wasn't expecting the complete Wii U/3DS libraries to be available for Switch, anyway. They may do ports, but probably only easy ports that don't use each console's special features. I know this isn't real compatibility, but it can be good enough.

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

I wouldn't put my eggs on the press' basket. They suck. And they lie.

Yeah, you should be skeptical, but Eurogamer's predictions regarding the Switch were more or less on the mark when they made them in July, so I'll at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

On October 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM, MasterTreecko said:

So Nintendo has finally revealed their latest console that was codenamed NX. So, what was your thoughts after seeing the Switch? If you haven't seen it yet, here's the video:

Honestly, I think the gimmick of the Joy-Cons (the controller's name) are really cool, but I will only buy this console IF there will be great games for the system.

It's a Nintendo console 9/10 chance it's going to fail. They need to allow more third party development. People are flipping out because it had skyrim on it, skyrim is almost a seven year old game. I am pretty sure my phone could run skyrim. They need more third party games (that aren't remasters like when the Wii U launched with AC3, ME3, and other stuff like that.) Releasing remasters with a new console for games aren't even a year old is the poorest buisness decision Nintendo made. Nintendo doesn't know what supply and demand is, first off now matter how much we love Mario we don't want any of this "paper Mario", "mario 3D land" BS, we want a proper Mario game. Nintendo needs to appeal to more than 12 year old with overprotective parents and Japan. If they can't sell in the west then they are pretty much screwed. Honestly if Nintendo messes this up I can't see them being around in 10 years at this rate.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah not sure where he got the 9/10 from considering that the wii out sold both the ps3 and the 360. the wii u did bad sure but that doesnt really mean it should go towards the 9/10 statistic that the switch is gonna fail. plus the fact that the the top ten most sold video game systems globally has 5 spots with nintendos systems, 4 with sony's and 1 with microsoft.

On 2016-11-02 at 10:35 PM, xGreyHound said:

It's a Nintendo console 9/10 chance it's going to fail.

People have been saying that for years ever since the Wii came out because for some odd reason, they think Nintendo doesn't hold up to its competitors. But the Wii was actually the top-selling console of its generation, and even though the Wii U hasn't sold well, it wasn't exactly a failure either thanks to hits like Smash and Splatoon. I doubt the Switch will be the final nail in Nintendo's coffin because at this point, it's becoming a reoccurring trend for people to speculate those sort of things.

The Wii sold well because of a gimmick, but ended up in the closet of most people's houses gathering dust. It was the first time Nintendo tried it and so the public were unaware. I don't see it happening again, though.

2 hours ago, Okarin said:

Yeah, like the 3DS, right?

More Nintendo badmouthing, is all. You're hardly imaginative.

The 3DS is a handheld, Nintendo rule that space at the moment. The Switch is them trying to make a hybrid (ugh), and I really don't think they understand the console audience TBH. Could be wrong, though.

44 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

It's not really a hybrid in the truest sense of the word though. The console itself is completely portable, but it can output to a TV if you choose to. This is something many wanted from the Vita but failed to get, and Nintendo might just fill in that gap. 

AND! they might actually have an in system memory storage, unlike the vita! :mare: well, the vita did have one but it was only a gig and that can quickly fill up.

8 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

AND! they might actually have an in system memory storage, unlike the vita! :mare: well, the vita did have one but it was only a gig and that can quickly fill up.

Yeah, the external memory cards are a poor marketing decision on Sony's part. They always come separately so if you didn't do your research beforehand, you would end up with really low storage capacity for your games. I'm hoping Nintendo has learned this lesson, though given the 3DS's internal memory, it shouldn't be an issue.

7 minutes ago, KonpekiUmi said:

Yeah, the external memory cards are a poor marketing decision on Sony's part. They always come separately so if you didn't do your research beforehand, you would end up with really low storage capacity for your games. I'm hoping Nintendo has learned this lesson, though given the 3DS's internal memory, it shouldn't be an issue.

yeah its incredibly dumb to not have at least a 4 gig memory card with the vita. like, i dont want to buy any games for it because i know ill have to get a memory card for it and i cant afford it. well i can but im not paying their outrages prices for it.

11 hours ago, Darklord Rooke said:

The Wii sold well because of a gimmick, but ended up in the closet of most people's houses gathering dust. It was the first time Nintendo tried it and so the public were unaware. I don't see it happening again, though.

The Wii was a nice console with every type of game imaginable available for it (unlike the Wii U, ugh). It adds to Iwata's genius that it was able to incorporate people who traditionally didn't play videogames. But if you were a gamer, it was a good buy. I expect the same for Switch. The question with Nintendo's platforms is that they tend to release out of sync with the rest, and they face problems because of that. Anyway, the Switch has garnered a massive following. Lots of people seem to be disenchanted with the current panorama. And like one youtuber said, if you own a modern PC you might as well go for Nintendo, since they offer something different from the sameness of MicroSony.