Nintendo Switch: What are your thoughts?

MasterTreecko

So Nintendo has finally revealed their latest console that was codenamed NX. So, what was your thoughts after seeing the Switch? If you haven't seen it yet, here's the video:

Honestly, I think the gimmick of the Joy-Cons (the controller's name) are really cool, but I will only buy this console IF there will be great games for the system.

I see it failing due to it coming out in the middle of a console generation when most core gamers already decided on their console, and the only real reason to get it is for the Nintendo exclusives, and if that was alone was able to push consoles, then the Wii U wouldn't have failed. It's a cool idea though that I can see people getting excited over. I don't see myself actually using the portability of it, since I don't go out much, and even then, walking around with that thing would make me worried of breaking it. It looks huge enough for me not to want to carry it around as well. 

I find console "cute", but really I feel like it will probably not do too well. Mobile gaming is kinda of a endangered species due to the tumor known as cellphone games and betting a console primarily on its' mobility seems like a poor idea. 

I feel like the only way this console will do exceptionally well is if it is significantly cheaper than current gen consoles to motivate more people to give it a shot. 

42 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

I see it failing due to it coming out in the middle of a console generation when most core gamers already decided on their console, and the only real reason to get it is for the Nintendo exclusives, and if that was alone was able to push consoles, then the Wii U wouldn't have failed. It's a cool idea though that I can see people getting excited over. I don't see myself actually using the portability of it, since I don't go out much, and even then, walking around with that thing would make me worried of breaking it. It looks huge enough for me not to want to carry it around as well. 

the problem was with the wii u is there was like no real giant exclusive games for it. the biggest one i can think of was super smash bros wii u but not much else. i mean there were exclusives like zombie u and some mario games but none of those mario games felt like a big mario game like world, 64, sunshine, or galaxy. theres also no zelda game except for one thats already been released.

as for my thoughts, i kind of like it. ^ ^ i mean, on the go you can potentially have two controllers with you at all times so you can play with a friend. im not a fan of the tiny, separate single controller though, but im used to playing with a nunchuk so it might be fine, but i did see you could use the bigger controller as well which is cool. plus, skyrim on the go at all times!? hell yeah! :sacchan:

10 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

the biggest one i can think of was super smash bros wii u but not much else

I think Smash Bros is the biggest release Nintendo has in general. 

some mario games but none of those mario games felt like a big mario game like world, 64, sunshine, or galaxy.

Maybe in terms of quality maybe, but 2d Mario games like NSMBU sell more than the 3d ones, and from what I can tell, SM3DW looks pretty great (better than 64 at least, but I'm not the biggest fan of that game). Don't think Mario games push sales as much as they used to.

theres also no zelda game except for one thats already been released.

Zelda games don't sell as well as you think. Smash Bros and Mario games sell much more I think.

7 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

Maybe in terms of quality maybe, but 2d Mario games like NSMBU sell more than the 3d ones, and from what I can tell, SM3DW looks pretty great (better than 64 at least, but I'm not the biggest fan of that game). Don't think Mario games push sales as much as they used to.

jesus really? no wonder galaxy two felt more like a 2d mario game.

8 minutes ago, pik3rob said:

Zelda games don't sell as well as you think. Smash Bros and Mario games sell much more I think.

youre right about that. looked it up and they dont sell as well or even close as most mario games. still, wind of the breath looks like a fresh idea for the zelda series and for nintendo. who know?

1 minute ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Part of that reason was largely Miyamoto's decision to cut down on the story elements of the Mario games after Galaxy, which is the reason why 3D World (the main Mario installment on the Wii U) didn't quite make a big impact because it felt more of a classic 2D Mario platformer turned 3D instead of a story-driven adventure like the other three. I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 3D World, but you got to admit that the plot was way too simple in comparison to Galaxy's more cinematic plot.

Not like Mario games were ever renowned for their plots or anything. Mario Galaxy 2 had significantly less plot than Galaxy 1, and it did fine. 64 also has almost no plot at all. You also have to take into account that Sunshine was rather cinematic as far as Mario plots go, and the Gamecube still didn't sell well. Galaxy's success and impact should not be attributed to it's story elements. There's lots of other reasons Galaxy succeeded.

4 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Part of that reason was largely Miyamoto's decision to cut down on the story elements of the Mario games after Galaxy, which is the reason why 3D World (the main Mario installment on the Wii U) didn't quite make a big impact because it felt more of a classic 2D Mario platformer turned 3D instead of a story-driven adventure like the other three. I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed 3D World, but you got to admit that the plot was way too simple in comparison to Galaxy's more cinematic plot.

that sucks. i loved galaxy and i dont really like how now the mario games that are in 3d feel like 2d games. saw a glimpse of a mario game in the trailer so maybe itll be like other 3d mario games. fingers crossed! :wafuu:

From an announcement standpoint, it's already doing much better than the commercial failure that was the Wii U (remember when the trailer for that came out and nobody knew exactly what it was? Yeah...). As for the console itself, it really boils down to how well does it perform without being plugged in. 

One thing I didn't like was that they showed skyrim and NBA 2k17 on the console even though these games are not confirmed to be coming out for the Switch by the developers themselves. I found that quite misleading tbh. 

Remember when the Wii U announced it'd have 3rd party support and then jack shit happened? This trailer makes me feel like that situation will repeat itself. 

And then there's the fact they're still supporting the Wii U for their newest titles so they're not giving you much of a reason to buy a switch yet. 

Like everyone else, I like the whole premise of it, but the console has quite the uphill battle up ahead. 

Nintendo has still failed to address the issue that has crippled most of their systems (with the anomalous exception of the Wii) since after the SNES... third-party support.  To be blunt, while companies show interest in possibly developing for the system, so far Nintendo hasn't made a significant effort to recruit them.

As for the actual system as it has been revealed... it is difficult to become enthusiastic for it, at least for me.  My reason?  I already have five portable systems from Nintendo, and I can't say I'm particularly interested in buying a hybrid console without something 'more'.  Nintendo's tendency to rely on first-party games to keep their sales up is poorly thought out, their online store is incompetently designed, and I am still going through buyer's remorse on the Wii U after I purchased it for Xenoblade 2...

It's just a handheld system that can output to a TV, it's quite underwhelming. Technical specifications won't be anywhere near high enough to lure over worthwhile console 3rd party games. Personally if I wanted a handheld I'd choose a 3DS or a VITA.

If they're pushing the power of this ... handheld to try and get it to compete with the console market, then battery life will be terrible. 

Let's face facts. A console is a unit which delivers a top end gaming experience to the consumer with much more convenience than you would get with a PC. A portable system delivers a low to mid end gaming experience to the consumer with the advantage of portability. A PC delivers the highest experience possible at the cost of it being a colossal pain in the arse.

Trying to emphasise portability with a console takes away from the strengths OF a console ... not that Nintendo has been tapping into those strengths though.

Well, one part is the system itself. If you don't like it, too bad. The other part is the games. They have announced a strong lineup of developers, including some third parties, but we'll see if they stick to the end, and that also depends on how well the hardware sells. As for the programming part, so far developers have given a positive feedback on it, they have commented it's nice to develop for Switch, as I think there are already some projects ongoing and scheduled for next year release. So, it's not only chit-chat, they should know what they're talking about.

I only need two things to get a Switch -affordable price below or just 300 $ (like its competitors, Xbone Slim and PS4 Slim) and strong lineup of JRPG and (maybe) visual novels.

Region lock could be a deal breaker though.

All in all, I probably won't get it during its first year, unless I have some big money AND there's a console-selling game.

25 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Region lock could be a deal breaker though.

Oh god if they're STILL region locking their system I will facepalm so hard. 

Totally agree on the price tag though. I'm not spending more than 300 on it when i could just invest that in already available and better hardware. 

People are expecting (and they could be pleasantly surprised) graphics to be slightly better than the 360/PS3 era. Judging by the chips they're using and that the hardware is all inside the portable part. How you'd be able to sell that as a console/hybrid at over 300 bucks US is beyond me. It would require one hell of a marketing campaign and possibly the onset of mass hallucination.

19 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Totally agree on the price tag though. I'm not spending more than 300 on it when i could just invest that in already available and better hardware. 

I'd rather replace my 750ti with 1050ti when it's out, rather than buy Switch.

It's a really interesting and nice console, but as some people mentioned above - it's most vital factors will be both performance and battery life. Low price and lack of possibility to replace/upgrade usually means low battery life and for a handheld/console hybrid sporting hardware capable to run modern games without cutting on the edges... let's just say I'm not that enthusiastic.

23 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

People are expecting (and they could be pleasantly surprised) graphics to be slightly better than the 360/PS3 era. Judging by the chips they're using and that the hardware is all inside the portable part. How you'd be able to sell that as a console/hybrid at over 300 bucks US is beyond me. It would require one hell of a marketing campaign and possibly the onset of mass hallucination.

Nintendo consoles have never had good performance for their time though, and that's kinda been their strength. When devs can't give their games impressive graphics, they tend to focus more on artstyle and interesting gameplay, which is arguably better. that's my impression, anyway

It's way too early for anything other than a tentative prediction, but my prime worries are battery life and 3rd party support. I don't have the money to buy a Switch, especially not anytime soon, so I am in no rush. I am a portable system nut -love having the screen close to my face and carrying at around the house- and I quite like the design, but personally it will live and die by the portable form factor for me. I've always wanted a console library on a portable console, and Switch is simply the only thing that could pull that off in the near future. I just hope that Vita's library (portable indies and a breeding ground for niche Japanese franchises) lives on in the Switch, unless Nintendo announces a full-on portable alongside the Switch

The only reason I'm considering it is because my sister really wants a console and I've been telling her to wait for the new Nintendo one instead of investing in a Wii U when that system is close to death. If the system proves decent for your casual type of gaming and multiplayer then I'm probably buying it.

I think Nintendo's strong suit has always been the demographic inclusivity (notice how their marketing is always about bringing everybody together and having fun) and I'd really like for the Switch to offer games both me and my sister (and maybe my parents) can enjoy (together or otherwise). If they can do that then I think it's worth it. 

I think the Switch should not try to directly compete with the PS4 or the Xbone and instead focus on what they don't do as well. 

3 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

The only reason I'm considering it is because my sister really wants a console and I've been telling her to wait for the new Nintendo one instead of investing in a Wii U when that system is close to death. If the system proves decent for your casual type of gaming and multiplayer then I'm probably buying it.

The Wii U has been a failure since it has received so few games, at least compared with the gigantic library of the 3DS. Maybe you should get your sister a 3DS?

The Wii U will get a discount when Switch releases, but, the Switch is bound to have a larger library since devs don't have to mess with any motion gadget anymore (but well... lots of Wii U games came without special control support anyway).

I have been pondering to buy a Wii U, but I think I'll be better off with Switch eventually. Or, you know, expand my 3DS collection.

31 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

You could get your sister the Wii U anyway since it still has some great games to play like Smash, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and Splatoon. However if she's the type that prefers RPGs, well aside from Xenoblade X, she's out of luck here.

Then again, if the Switch is backwards compatible with Wii U games, then you don't really have to get the Wii U, so maybe waiting is a good idea after all.

Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to get 2 consoles. If it did I wouldn't have told my sister to wait. :P

It has been confirmed the Switch will not be backwards compatible with Wii U games btw.

44 minutes ago, Okarin said:

The Wii U has been a failure since it has received so few games, at least compared with the gigantic library of the 3DS. Maybe you should get your sister a 3DS?

Yeah, it's basically not worth getting one due to the lack of games. I know it has some REALLY good games, but that small quantity does not justify getting the console for me, especially when Nintendo wants to get rid of it as soon as possible (they're supporting the newest releases still but I doubt it will last much longer).