Frontwing teases a big new project on twitter

Dergonu

Some interviews to the voice actresses were released on the website. One of the quotes interested me particularly:

"Tanezuki Atsumi here, voice of Murasaki. I hope Grisaia fans new and old will enjoy the game! Plenty more is planned after the first three volumes, so please look forward to the future of Phantom Trigger!"

So, it would appear that this will be an incomplete story after all, as earlier speculated. I don't exactly mind the approach, but I am interested in see how it'll be handled.

7 minutes ago, Decay said:

"More is planned" does not necessarily mean an incomplete story. There are many ways to do multi-part series where the individual stories feel complete, though I admit Japan doesn't seem great at that.

Oh, certainly.
I did get the impression the story isn't finished from all their comments, however. I think every single one wrote about how they're looking forward to find out how it goes or how it ends.
Not entirely sure if that means they only wrote for a single volume or if they did the 3 volumes. Since one of them mentioned there's more beyond the three volumes, I might have assumed they already finished work for the three volumes. An unwise assumption.

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger Prefundia Page:

(To fund physical versions and extra content, such as a manga being released in Japan)

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/a-grand-entrance-for-new-vn-series-grisaia-phantom-trigger/12084/#project-creator-dashboard

Looking at the Perfundia and FAQ, there's a few interesting tidbits:

Release Date
Vol.1 & Vol.2: APRIL 28 2017 Worldwide Simultaneous Release
Vol.3: Summer 2017 (tentative)
Subsequent volumes are also planned for release in the future

I no longer understand the purpose of volumes :vinty: I mean, couldn't you just call the two that are releasing simultaneously "Volume 1"?
I guess they intend to keep the price lower and more accessible per piece.

Speaking of more accessible,

Q: Does Grisaia: Phantom Trigger have H-scenes? Will there be an 18+ patch?
A: Grisaia: Phantom Trigger was created and designed as an all-ages game, and therefore features no sexually explicit content. Accordingly, no restoration patch will be necessary, as the digital and physical versions will contain the exact same content. That being said, the manga adaptation features more adult-oriented content, as do many of the supplemental items we are offering (i.e. the artbook and tapestries).
However, please do note that the series does feature scenes of intense violence and language.

I think they're really pushing towards making this VN the least niche they can, and I do believe the Grisaia series has a little potential, with all the spy stuff and action stuff and funny stuff. But, well... there's already some people clamouring for H-Scenes, via stretch goal, for instance, so... heck. I'm not entirely sure this move will work out for them.

Q: How many volumes will Phantom Trigger have?
A: Phantom Trigger is an ongoing series, with each volume comprising of a largely self-contained story. Currently the first four volumes of the game are in development, but the total final number of entires in the series is yet to be decided.

Disregarding the typo, this is interesting information. It looks like they're ready to make this story as long as the fanbase carries it.
I'm certainly curious and optimistic about this method. I mean, I am a Grisaia fanboy, I have some trust that they will be able to pull off interesting self contained stories for as long as needed until a finale arrives.
Like, have you seen the size of Grisaia no Kajitsu? They'd probably need some 10 volumes to match it.

Other interesting notes are how Phantom Trigger will include references to the Grisaia trilogy but playing the original is not necessary, and that, much like Corona Blossom, these releases will feature dual language. Widen the appeal.

----

Things that are sorely missing are price for each individual volume (Looking at the Prefundia I'm guessing it's sitting at somewhere around 15 dollars -- though I find that a wee bit big for the wide appeal they seem to be going for) and their length. I imagine they're going to be around 5-10 hours each? How long was Corona Blossom? I don't imagine each of these volumes will be much bigger than those were, though if they're higher priced, they might.

@Mr Poltroon

Interesting info there in regard of Phantom Trigger. As for H scenes, the seiyuu credit should be giveaway that there will be no H scenes (Then again, most of the user who ask would be didn't knew in regard of pseudonym for eroge seiyuu. Probably). As for the goal, no comment for now.

PS - As for Corona Blossom length, not quite sure here but I would guess it's at 20 hours or so at the most.

You know as long as I repress all of my concerns and personal grievances of Phantom Trigger being set in the "Grisiaia Universe" I actually can see this series working pretty well. I imagine the first couple of volumes will be pretty dull and the bog standard "military training" arc in which the characters will learn how to function as a cohesive unit, like the first season of RWBY and Muv Luv Unlimited. Things should pick up afterwards when the team is sent on actual missions, which hopefully will be worldwide. We could get some very MuvLuvesque social commentary on the role of developed nations in unstable countries and I'm sure some very interesting character building moments for our cast considering they are from various nationalities. Each volume could focus on a different part of the world with a different terrorist/rebel/criminal organization serving as an antagonist. 

I have absolutely no interest in Grisaia Phantom Trigger and the more than 3 volumes bullshit just means I won't support it (unless they say how long each volume is going to be). It's obvious Frontwing has realized thanks to Corona Blossom that they can piecemeal vns for better profits. Hell the only reason I bought the entire Corona Blossom is because I wanted a conclusion after getting scammed via the first one. It's not going to happen again. I might consider backing a full game but not going to go anywhere near something with volumes. Hell both Corona Blossom and Karakara really soured my experience on new visual novels and I likely won't back any further ones from any company. 

11 hours ago, kyrt said:

I have absolutely no interest in Grisaia Phantom Trigger and the more than 3 volumes bullshit just means I won't support it (unless they say how long each volume is going to be). It's obvious Frontwing has realized thanks to Corona Blossom that they can piecemeal vns for better profits. Hell the only reason I bought the entire Corona Blossom is because I wanted a conclusion after getting scammed via the first one. It's not going to happen again. I might consider backing a full game but not going to go anywhere near something with volumes. Hell both Corona Blossom and Karakara really soured my experience on new visual novels and I likely won't back any further ones from any company. 

Might you elaborate on what your issue with a division of a full product into various volumes at a fraction of the price is?
In every way it seems to make sense, from coming out faster to being lower priced per piece to allowing more choice for the consumer by reading them all at once or bit by bit.
The one issue to come to mind is that it limits the experience to a relatively linear one, in that large divergent routes would be difficult to implement in the traditional fashion, and that a system similar to Sharin no Kuni's or G-Senjou's would be a more feasible option.

On that note, why do you claim you were "scammed"? I do believe the word 'volume' by itself implies the division of the overarching story into various parts, and that the expectation that a sole volume would provide a complete story is in itself fallacious. What issue did you run into?

In terms of pricing, it appears to be $30 for a medium length game somewhere around 13 hours long (I think, I have not yet played it whole). That's... not ideal, but not particularly unusual in the niche.
What I will comment on are the H-Scenes. Complementary material for those willing to fork over money as they are, that's a lot of money that needs to be forked over. I do believe this division into volumes allows them to charge even more for the lot of them.

3 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

The one issue to come to mind is that it limits the experience to a relatively linear one, in that large divergent routes would be difficult to implement in the traditional fashion, and that a system similar to Sharin no Kuni's or G-Senjou's would be a more feasible option.

I doubt that there will be any meaningful "story branches" that sort of complexity added to the VN series would add allot more time, effort, and money required for each volume. Likewise, I doubt we will get different volumes that serves as different "routes". That would require a good amount of planning and would conflict the Frontwing's wish to milk this series as much as possible.  

I imagine the story structure will be allot like neverending shonen in which new conflicts are introduced periodically and dynamic characters slowly shifting into static characters as each volume is released. I also don't really feel that this will focus on any sort of romance between the protagonist and the heroines. I'm sure there were be plenty harem anime style hijinks, but I highly doubt that there will be any meaningful changes in their interpersonal relationships.  

1 minute ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I doubt that there will be any meaningful "story branches" that sort of complexity added to the VN series would add allot more time, effort, and money required for each volume. Likewise, I doubt we will get different volumes that serves as different "routes". That would require a good amount of planning and would conflict the Frontwing's wish to milk this series as much as possible.  

I imagine the story structure will be allot like neverending shonen in which new conflicts are introduced periodically and dynamic characters slowly shifting into static characters as each volume is released. I also don't really feel that this will focus on any sort of romance between the protagonist and the heroines. I'm sure there were be plenty harem anime style hijinks, but I highly doubt that there will be any meaningful changes in their interpersonal relationships.  

Oh, certainly. I too don't believe there will be any sort of big divergence. I instead meant to say that if there were, it would likely be more akin to Sharin no Kuni (where only a short few scenes changed by route) or G-Senjou (where the main story would be complemented by side routes/bonus volumes), than to a traditional visual novel.

On 2/23/2017 at 7:05 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

Might you elaborate on what your issue with a division of a full product into various volumes at a fraction of the price is?

On that note, why do you claim you were "scammed"? I do believe the word 'volume' by itself implies the division of the overarching story into various parts, and that the expectation that a sole volume would provide a complete story is in itself fallacious. What issue did you run into?

In terms of pricing, it appears to be $30 for a medium length game somewhere around 13 hours long (I think, I have not yet played it whole). That's... not ideal, but not particularly unusual in the niche.
What I will comment on are the H-Scenes. Complementary material for those willing to fork over money as they are, that's a lot of money that needs to be forked over. I do believe this division into volumes allows them to charge even more for the lot of them.

I will go ahead and ignore the physical edition options as those have their own issues (shipping fee x3, paying extra for a physical edition each time whereas they could make it cheaper for us and them to release it in one box at the offset). There is also the whole idea of the completion principle in which we because the game is in an incomplete state we will continue thinking about it or have a drive to complete that which is incomplete...this is dangerous because they could increase the cost and we'd still purchase it in order to make the product complete. This is actually something that happens in the process of each Corona Blossom volume. The first is obvious in that three volumes means that the game is in an incomplete state the first game and second game and our desire to see it completed will push us to buy it. The second way this happens is with the removal and subsequent selling of the 18+ content  which again makes our brain realize that the game is incomplete without it and that we must have it. They increased the cost however of the 18+ patch after the first volume and chances are most people probably still purchased it if they already had the first volume patch. They increased the cost and yet the game itself did not change in size or substance. Hell if you bought the physical edition for the first volume chances were more likely that you bought the physical edition for the second volume as well. 

The other issue with dividing the volume into multiple parts is that because it was being released multi-volume we supposedly could not be told various aspects of the game development including how long the game was in total or the quality of the translation. We also have no guarantee that the next volume will be of the same quality as the one that came before. My dislike for volumes or episodes in video games comes primarily from telltale games in which the quality and quantity often will dip throughout the release. One part might be 4 hours while another part might only be 1. There is no guarantee they won't sell the game cheaper at release or won't increase the cost for the next volume. Consistency is missing. Corona Blossom is roughly 10 dollars each volume not including the 18+ patch which after the first volume increases that initial 10 dollars by 10. Now you are having to pay an additional 10 dollars for what amounts to only a small addition which is clearly not worth the cost. The game itself is anywhere from 30-60 for the entire game and each volume is only about 4-ish hours long depending on reading speed. In this particular instance it did not hold true to my value of currency. I believe that 1 dollar should at a minimum equate to 1 hour of entertainment

In addition when they split up the volumes I felt disconnected to the story and characters after waiting so long to read the next piece and it became a chore to try an regain any amount of interest back. Some might say I should have just waited for the entire thing to release but they released it in volumes to get the game quicker and in pieces which meant that even if you wanted to wait the potential to have the game spoiled before you could read it all in one go was increased. The other issue as tackled by other people is that because it was multi-volumed it had no branching routes. Corona Blossom was a single story (likely the reason for its shorter length) and the game lost potential replay value because of it.  I believe than branching routes and choices are one of the strong suits of the visual novel medium and splitting the game up made it weaker as a result because it did not follow through on that. Not sure if this is completely the result of the game itself or the campaign for funding not being entirely clear but it definitely soured my experience on volume releases. 

Just my opinion though, no need to go spreading it around.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't expect Front Wing to be this popular since all they really have is Grisaia. Grisaia is good but its not THAT good.

Well there is also Devil Angel Dijbril but as much as I love how she NTR him pregnancy sex with monsters and middle-aged men, I really don't think that is the kind of stuff that gets the people around here impassioned. Speaking of which, Front Wing should do Devil Angel Dibril 5 next.

5 hours ago, BobJones2 said:

Didn't expect Front Wing to be this popular since all they really have is Grisaia. Grisaia is good but its not THAT good.

Well there is also Devil Angel Dijbril but as much as I love how she NTR him pregnancy sex with monsters and middle-aged men, I really don't think that is the kind of stuff that gets the people around here impassioned. Speaking of which, Front Wing should do Devil Angel Dibril 5 next.

it is THAT good to the western audience mate, well-reviewed almost everywhere 

sold really well i assume 

52 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I haven't read Grisaia but I'm not in the least thrilled by it. The first anime episode is the worst I've seen in my lifetime.

Just saying.

Although the anime adaption isn't the best, the first episode is essentially a clone of the opening to the VN, so you might not enjoy the VN much then. :P 

Perhaps this series will be more enjoyable for you. You can apperantly play it without the originals, so might be worth a shot. 

1 hour ago, Nier said:

GET OUT.

One does not simply smack talk Grisaia!!! :reeee: GET HIM!

The rest I have played by Akabei Soft didn't really impress me, so why should I pick Grisaia? I have a full list of 50+ games waiting to be played.

Edit: I meant this writer, not Akabei Soft. Wasn't he the same that wrote Sharin no Kuni?

Edited by Okarin

9 minutes ago, Okarin said:

The rest I have played by Akabei Soft didn't really impress me, so why should I pick Grisaia? I have a full list of 50+ games waiting to be played.

Edit: I meant this writer, not Akabei Soft. Wasn't he the same that wrote Sharin no Kuni?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're mistaken.

Grisaia's main writer, Fujisaki Ryuuta, has worked primarily on Grisaia. Although, notably, he was one of the main people behind Draculius, if that's ever come across your radar at any point.