Shelter

Narcosis

Well, I was with it till the 0:50 mark. Reminds me of a gaudy amv for an anime I would much rather be watching. Would have been nice if they stuck with a low key orchestra bit or just used piano music, like they did for the last min.  

Anyways, that guy was a fucking asshole. PLEASE LIVE MY DAUGHTER/CHILDIKIDNAPPEDFROMAPARK!!! Even if that means living in a cell of your own mind until you die.

It's literally tragic a six minute long multinational OAV instantly beats anything this anime season has to offer, both in terms of storytelling and overall quality.

22 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well, I was with it till the 0:50 mark. Reminds me of a gaudy amv for an anime I would much rather be watching. Would have been nice if they stuck with a low key orchestra bit or just used piano music, like they did for the last min.  

Anyways, that guy was a fucking asshole. PLEASE LIVE MY DAUGHTER/CHILDIKIDNAPPEDFROMAPARK!!! Even if that means living in a cell of your own mind until you die.

You propably got it wrong.

The man in the movie is actually the girl's dad, who's propably either a high-ranked scientist or engineer, working on some sort of an international research program. We don't really know that much, but what we can guess is that a large celestial body is on a collision course with Earth and our planet is most propably doomed (it's worth to note, it's not an entirely impossible case for real life, although highly unlikely to happen). It is possible, the incoming "end of the world" might have been caused by the said research. It is possible, it's just an accident. Eitherway, knowing about the impending future (or more like, lack of thereof), dad builds a tiny micro-shuttle to save his daughter and finally, launches her into space. The shuttle is actually a highly advanced preservation chamber equipped with life support systems; the girl is in comatose. In order to sustain her mind, the implemented artificial system supports the heroine, giving her consciousness a place where she can dwell. In order to minimize stress, the girl had been given a virtual reality, she can freely control and alter, along with all the data and information about our planet, stored within the system's memory.

Now comes the best part - at one point, an image she creates most propably triggers an effect of remembrance, which causes her to regain a part of her memories. This most propably forces the system to finally run a special program, in order to reveal information about her past - some sort of a message - which was prepared by her dad. With that, she's finally able to remember everything. In the end, she's able to read the very last message, which was left by her dad.

The message is as follows:

To : Rin

There was just so little time left after you were born. I don't know how much love I managed to pour into raising you after your mother died... But your smile kept me going. (^_^)

I would like to have come with you, but I couldn't. I wanted you to forget everything and move on... I knew you'd be alright. But you'll get lonely, and remember.

I know you'll grow strong, and read this letter some day. I really wish we could have spent more time together. I'm sorry. You were so young back then, too young to understand what they meant.

So let me repeat... My final words to you.

From what we know from the synopsis, the girl is 17. We can guess, judging from information left by the movie, she was more or less 7, when her dad sent her off into space. This means... 10 years had passed with her living within the simulation. But there's one more thing - the system shows messenger haven't got new messages since 2578 days. When you do the math, it means slightly more than 7 years passed since the last message. But isn't she actually 10 years in space? Of course. This more or less means that she WAS receiving mail for the next three years after the launch. Most propably, before Earth finally collided with the celestial body, or more scientifically - the distance grew so big, contact was finally lost.

She's not giving up. Even if she truly has no actual choice, she's at peace. It's because she knows her dad was and is with her. Always in her heart. This gives her strength to carry on. Where? We don't know.

It's highly possible the events told in the movie are similiar to those from Soshite Ashita no Sekai yori. It most propably didn't happen overnight. People knew it will happen, hence the peacefully deceptive, cosy atmosphere shown in the girl's past. In the last attempt to leave something behind - or perhaps a pitiful attempt to save the mankind - she's chosen to be launched into space. She's the next generation Voyager; a time capsule, telling a sad tale of a tiny civilization, which lost against the unimaginable powers of the universe.

A truly tragic and bittersweet, yet preety description of humanity's willpower to carry on.

Good God, I hate to rain on your parade since it is obvious that anything I say in a negative light will bounce off your enormous stiffy for this small work of art. If it makes you happy and does something for you, good, if anything I'm just disappointed it did nothing for me. 

I'm a practical asshole that would much rather have spent a few more years with my loved ones than an entire lifetime playing virtual legos with interruptions every decade to remind me about the most traumatic experience of my worthless life. 

That is if we are generous and say that she has several more decades to live which would mean the capsule has the capabilities to convert matter, be nearly impenetrable to outside forces, generate enough power to keep the girl alive for her entire lifespan which is somewhat doubtful if the pod was the first and last type of its' kind and the technology required would indicate that they could have saved many more people. Let's not even think about the mental toll being in complete isolation for you entire life would bring.  

I think it's good, but is getting far too much attention. As a music video it's fucking awesome, and everything synchs up perfectly, but the story seems kind of weird, and I don't think of it as anything worth feeling much towards. I've seen people say they've cried to it, and are extremely attached emotionally to it, and I'm wondering how they formed that much of an attachment in like 6 minutes. It looks good and it sounds good, but it feels like people are over reacting to it. 

I'd assume a part of it comes from the label of Porter Robinson, a composer and a musician, who is quite popular within the "modern music" communities for his emotionally charged music and how much feeling he puts in them.

I do love Porter, and while I do agree that the video might be a tad bit too over-rated, it's not that much of a reach to think that some people would feel emotional on it, considering who composed the music and was a big part of the production of the video.