[Translation Request] Could a team or something translate a handful of VNs?

Dharek

It's pretty much as Mitch said, most teams or people who do fan translations pick up the projects they'd personally want to see translated or are involved with. It's not something that works on a request system or anything like that :sachi:.

EDIT: Besides what you're asking for here are all medium/long vns (30/50 or 50+ hours), are you aware of how much work and time that'd take for said teams to translate? you can't possibly be serious about this.  It takes a lot of skill, work and time to do these things.

It actually takes over a thousand hours of skilled(ish) labour to translate a medium to long visual novel and much more with all the work required to hack it, edit the text, proofread etc. Now ask yourself what would motivate someone to dedicate those hours to translating a visual novel for free and whether you asking as a single post on a forum would be motivation enough for them to take on your request. Not only that, but you asked for 5 to be translated too...

Is this actually a new fad or something?

Well, it'd take a ridiculous amount of free time to translate these, maybe about six to eight years, considering the person translating them isn't all that motivated. And that's not even counting the rest, hacking, editing, quality control, proofreading, which would take even more, probably the same amount, maybe even more.

I doubt anyone would be willing to do this, even if you'd pay them.

Don't worry OP. I got you covered.

EDIT: For real now, are you kidding? They are all medium/long VN's (30-50 or 50+ hours) and you asked for 4. I really hope you were joking there. Anyways, there was a project for Sanoba Witch IIRC but I don't know the progress of it, so yeah. At least I had a nice laugh.

Edited by Aizen-Sama

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

On another note, some of these VNs look really cool, it would be nice to see some of these translated :D

Yeah, Sakura no Mori and Shinigami no Testament... look cool, but I probably wouldn't understand anything if I read them in Japanese, since they both have stuff about superpowers :/ I hope these are translated sometime, with how slowly I read it will take years for me to get to them anyway xD

46 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Ah I remember asking if someone could translate a title in my early days of fuwanovel, than I realized what a dork I was and created a completely different account months later with a different username so no-one would recognize me. 

That's so clever.

Sure, why not? In fact you could just give me the scripts for all of those VNs and I'll translate it to 4 languages here (English, Latinese, Arabic, and Indonesian) in one year at very late by using Google Translate lol.

Okay seriously it's just like anyone said before (And to be honest I want those to be translated). It'll take too much effort to translate those properly, and there's so many technical work there. Also in regard of both of Shinigami no Testament and Sakura no Mori, the company behind those two (3rd Eye and Moonstone respectively) had the deal with Mangagamer so the fan translator didn't want to deal with official works or procedure (Probably).

PS - By the way, one VNs here was very long in term of length (Kenseki) and one medium (Shinigami no Testament).

It's been over a year since I started my project to translate Arcana and so far I've only managed to get half of it done, and I've probably made a lot of mistakes while doing it. There's a whole second arc of the game which I'm probably not going to bother with, at least not for a long time, unless someone else wants to join the project to do the translation work. Hacking the VN and getting at the scripts took perhaps a few weeks. Translating the scripts, more than a year, and Arcana is a fairly short work. My estimate is that the common part is something like 60,000 words, and the light arc is also around the same length, and given the length of the untranslated scripts for the dark arc is in that range as well, I estimate that the whole script would be 180,000-200,000 words. That's about the length of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

To give an example of a long visual novel, once I tried extracting the text from Mirror Moon's Fate/Stay Night translation and found that the Fate Route is in the 330,000 word range, UBW is in the 244,000 word range, and Heaven's feel is in the 314,000 word range. The whole VN is 916,000 words or so, making it nearly twice as long as Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace (580,000 words), and close in length to the entire Harry Potter series (1,084,170 words). I'll let that sink in for a bit to give an idea of the enormity of the task.