List me your Top Ten Mecha/Super Robo/Space Anime

solidbatman

Yo, so I've finished Shin Mazinger Z, and am currently watching Mazinkaiser (and having a blast). Most of you already know how much I enjoy space anime, but now I'm also getting into mecha and super robot. So, in order to find even more to watch in all of these genres, I'd love to see some top ten lists of must see space/mecha/super robot shows. 

Gunbuster. You might watch the sequel too, although it didn't manage to achieve prequel's level. Then, you have Tekkaman/Tekkaman 2 which were suprisingly good shows definitely worth watching, for space operas. Daimos is considered a cult classic, although might not be as good (YMMV, it's kind of cliched and full of early propaganda, but still - a nice show to watch, albeit quite dated). Gurren Lagan is a must, if you haven't seen it yet. For more mecha, but not necesarilly space-oriented shows - Patlabor, especially the second movie; third is worth watching too, although it's completely different than it's predecessors (not really about mecha anymore, haha). Knights of Sidonia from lately airing shows proven to be really decent, too.

5 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

If your tolerance for stupid bullshit is that low, then propably, yeah :makina:

That is your opinion. If you don't like it then fine, but no need to cut down something I enjoyed. I thought  Gurren Lagan was stupid, but I never said anything like that, I kept it to myself. If you dislike something someone else enjoyed. fine but keep your comments friendly. The one thing I will agree with you on however was the ending.

7 minutes ago, Erogamer said:

That is your opinion. If you don't like it then fine, but no need to cut down something I enjoyed. I thought  Gurren Lagan was stupid, but I never said anything like that, I kept it to myself. If you dislike something someone else enjoyed. fine but keep your comments friendly. The one thing I will agree with you on however was the ending.

I could elaborate, but you're propably off better watching this instead:

If you still think otherwise, then I don't even know.

Hm. In no particular order I'd say:

Evangelion
Yamato 2199
Patlabor (everything)
Gunbuster
Harlock 78
Gurren Lagann
GaoGaiGar
Planetes
Rahxephon
Zeta Gundam
And worth seeing movies include Macross DYRL, Waga seishun no Arcadia, the two Galaxy Express 999 movies, the three Gundam 0079 movies... I'm probably forgetting stuff.

Of course you've seen some of those already, but well.

Macross. All of it. Even Zero. When you're familiar with the whole franchise Frontier and (16 episodes into) Delta are beyond tremendous. The original changed all of the rules for anime and Plus has greatly grown on me over the years. 

Kidou Senkan Nadesico, and then of course, my fansub of the Gekigangar 3 OVA. It's a different take on the genre, definitely made by fans for fans. If not, it certainly comes across that way.

As people have mentioned, Evangelion and Gunbuster are both required viewing.

Macross for the dogfights
Patlabor 2 for the politics
Nadesico for the satire
Evangelion if you like pseudo-philosophy
Planetes for the realism
Harlock because you like pirates
Gundam if you like war robots, but then again if you like war robots then why not watch ...
Voltron Legendary defender (new series) - I know it’s not anime, but bite me.

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

It's because it was literally influenced and inspired by mecha anime and kaijū shows :makina:

I know, but you might not realize how deep that influence goes, like the fact that Raleigh and Mako never have more than a platonic relationship, details like that, that you'd never ever see in a Hollywood film. Just watch Digi's discussion of it, it really brought the whole thing back for me.

Edited by john 'mr. customer' smith

26 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

I know, but you might not realize how deep that influence goes, like the fact that Raleigh and Mako never have more than a platonic relationship, details like that. Just watch Digi's discussion about it, it really brought the film back for me.

That's why it's a preety decent movie, even though it lacks depth; it's not really the kind of thing, you'd be watchhing it for, though :makina:

Yeah, Evangelion, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, and Gunbuster I've already seen. Fun stuffs. Aldnoah Zero was a silly popcorn anime. Hardly a masterpiece and at times really dumb, but shit, I enjoyed it. Gargantia was a fun one too, though felt lacking.

I have Macross, the original one anyway. GaoGaiGar, I've never heard of that one. 

7 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Ironic, considering it was created by the "Urobutcher" who've written two other masterpieces beforehand. Aldnoah Zero didn't quite leave very good impressions, but it wasn't terrible either.

You can create good ideas all day, but other people can run them into the ground. On a side, I think the guy is very overrated, and a one trick pony. 

3 hours ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Yeah, I agree. People often refer to him as the "god" of all anime writing, but that's just overpraising. He's ain't perfect and the reason why most people regard him as the best is because one of his "masterpieces" Fate/Zero is considered an overall improvement on the Fate series, while the other (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) was a one-hit wonder that took the anime world by storm in 2011.

Yeah, WTF. Guy writes two 10/10 anime and people start talking about what a good writer he is. Quick, let's find some bad shit he's written and make fun of him for it, since if he were actually any good, he'd only have produced perfection.

That said, I do actually have a reason for posting again aside from trolling, which is to say:

• I did really enjoy Gargantea, but it might not be to your tastes (though it's also pretty short, so maybe watch it anyway?), and
  • I've wanted to watch Planetes for years, and that this was a good reminder that I should really just give up on it ever being available for streaming legally or the license being picked up again and buy a copy on eBay (and hope it arrives and works...).

4 hours ago, solidbatman said:

You can create good ideas all day, but other people can run them into the ground. On a side, I think the guy is very overrated, and a one trick pony. 

Fun fact: Urobuchi only wrote the script for the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero.

My recommendation: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Mechs:

Gundam 00

08th MS Team

Gundam Wing

Code Geass (both seasons and Akito)

Soukou no Strain (interesting, if short, something of a tear-jerker)

The Vision of Escaflowne (haha, since you included mechs I could pick this one, lol)

Space Opera

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (godly)

Tytania

Space Action

Cowboy Bebop (classic)

Kiddy Grade (frequently underestimated, awesome story)

Edit: ...twenty-four years as an otaku and I have somewhat eclectic tastes for sci-fi.  Honestly, I probably wouldn't have included Cowboy Bebop, save that I watched it in my formative years and it had some influence on how I viewed sci-fi later on.  Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the single best sci-fi anime out there, in terms of story and action.  Tytania is like LOGTH's bastard little sister that barely manages to get up to knee-level, but it is still better than the crappy excuses for sci-fi released since.  Kiddy Grade is a classic example of how the package doesn't define the contents... especially when you get to the second half of it and insanity starts to rise.  Gundam 00 is the most solid and modern-feeling of the Gundam series, with the best action and story I've seen in a Gundam series.  Gundam Wing is a bit more idealized and somewhat less realistic.  08th MS Team is the most realistic Gundam series, in terms of combat.  Soukou no Strain is really fast-paced and emotional... not to mention filled with death.  If I have to tell you about Code Geass, then you  need to watch it.

8 hours ago, solidbatman said:

GaoGaiGar, I've never heard of that one. 

It's a super robot show with a late 90s feeling, quite different from Go Nagai stuff. The robots look like actual toys. It's a bit peculiar to get used to, but it's fun. And the end of the main series and the Finale OVAs rival Gurren Lagann in epicness without a doubt. They're pretty unbelievable.

Crest/Banner of the stars, probably the show with the best characters i have ever watched. And by far my personal favourite. Even if the overall story is simple the character and world building are so good you don't even notice it.

Patlabor, it like your under arrest but with robots.
Gundam unicorn
Birdy the mighty decode, not sure if this one qualifies though.
Break blade
Full metal panic
Kiddy grade, it is not the best series but it is quite entertaining.
Stratos 4, also has its fair amount of problems but its entertaining
Solty rei, it has its problems but personally i always had fun watching it.
Desert punk, again not sure if this qualifies but its the best damm comedy i have ever had the displeasure of watching.

Why these, well i just dont like having anime in my reccomendations list that get recommended every single time, like cowboy bebob and outlaw star, trigun.