VR Kanojo is on Steam Greenlight?!

Satsuki

Regarding this, I think since there is a word trial in the title, maybe Illusion will not releases full version (Probably had some sex scene) at Steam. I think the story will be light there although the spec for the game will be heavy though (My laptop wouldn't be able to handle this). Therefore, I think I'm not interested with this game here for now.

1 hour ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Probably will not be worth it on Steam unless Illusion plans on making an official 18+ DLC patch for the game like what MiKandi Japan planned for Libra of the Vampire Princess.

Mangamger is going to carry the 18+ version of Libra of the Vampire Princess. Has it been stated that this will have H scenes in it tho?

3 minutes ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

Haven't you read? MiKandi Japan actually said there will be a free 18+ patch for Libra of the Vampire Princess. You can read it here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/510936587/483366528899358698/?tscn=1444404176#c481115363862027362

I also got an email directly from MG saying they will carry this game. I don't see why they need a patch when you can just buy the full game. I guess there are those who want nothing to do with MG or can't use their site.

The only reason I prefer to buy VNs off Steam when I can is the exchange rate is better on Steam, due to regional pricing, than what  credit card companies use.

Assuming the game is going to be any good, I hope they release a version that doesn't require VR.  I don't have enough room to make VR worthwhile.  :komari:

Wait, so Illusion is taking one of their trademark tech demo-style games that are only good for the ero and releasing it on Steam without the ero?  Brilliant!

Nonetheless, with an English interface and much of the dialogue translated, the rabid Illusion modding community on HongFire is almost certain to finish the job, provided the translated elements can be easily imported onto the full version.

The English official site is instructive.  This will be an adult-only release.  It looks like only the demo is being released on Steam.
http://vrkanojo.com/index_en.php#2

The English is poor--they can't seem to construct actual sentences expressing a coherent thought--but it's not machine-translated at least.

The VR-only platform requirement is going to extremely limit their audience for this particular title.  Only extreme early adopters would be willing to pay the $600 or so for the headsets, much less the extra $300 or more for the necessary GPU/hardware upgrade.  And only a very small subset of those would even be interested in a hentai game, much less one of Illusion's simple sex sims.  I doubt this title will do well in either Japan or overseas, at least while VR adoption is low.  In a Venn diagram, the overlap between eroge fans and early VR adopters is probably minimal; eroge fans tend to have less capable hardware than your typical gamer since the majority of eroge have very low system requirements.  This is basically a demographic paradox: their primary audience won't have the hardware to play their game, and the few who DO have the hardware are unlikely to be interested.

That Illusion has finally taken an interest in the English market is great news.  However, this is a terrible product to test market demand for their games.  It's almost doomed to fail due to a low install base coupled with a niche product.

That said, the YouTube trailer is a smash hit.  Too bad they won't be able to translate that marketing triumph into sales.

14 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

The English official site is instructive.  This will be an adult-only release.  It looks like only the demo is being released on Steam.
http://vrkanojo.com/index_en.php#2

The English is poor--they can't seem to construct actual sentences expressing a coherent thought--but it's not machine-translated at least.

The VR-only platform requirement is going to extremely limit their audience for this particular title.  Only extreme early adopters would be willing to pay the $600 or so for the headsets, much less the extra $300 or more for the necessary GPU/hardware upgrade.  And only a very small subset of those would even be interested in a hentai game, much less one of Illusion's simple sex sims.  I doubt this title will do well in either Japan or overseas, at least while VR adoption is low.  In a Venn diagram, the overlap between eroge fans and early VR adopters is probably minimal; eroge fans tend to have less capable hardware than your typical gamer since the majority of eroge have very low system requirements.  This is basically a demographic paradox: their primary audience won't have the hardware to play their game, and the few who DO have the hardware are unlikely to be interested.

That Illusion has finally taken an interest in the English market is great news.  However, this is a terrible product to test market demand for their games.  It's almost doomed to fail due to a low install base coupled with a niche product.

That said, the YouTube trailer is a smash hit.  Too bad they won't be able to translate that marketing triumph into sales.

You kind of have to agree it took them a while to upgrade into next-gen graphics and systems. It looks nice, it does, but considering this is primarily (who am I kidding) a sex game like most of their releases, it literally has no ground to survive on the market and should be considered more of an experiment, than a full-fledged product. The sole fact it requires VR-hardware to operate is kind of disappointing; I'm not that stupid yet to invest into something, which barely took off the ground and doesn't use even a tiny bit of it's currently available potential.

At least, you could say the waifu age is finally upon us. Gals from Sukeban must be smirking hard right now.

PS. Still waiting for monster girls :makina:

This is a different discussion, but, since even JRPG with "questionable" elements such as Criminal Girls get butchered in the West, how can VNs not be so, especially on Steam, with its strict policy? Steam is good for the sales, otherwise I use it to read non-ero games such as Harmonia, Clannad, Steins;Gate, etc (I will have to see myself what they did with S;G questionable scenes). I'm looking forward to Little Busters. Otherwise I'll just grab my game at Mangagamer, Jast, etc.

3 hours ago, Okarin said:

This is a different discussion, but, since even JRPG with "questionable" elements such as Criminal Girls get butchered in the West, how can VNs not be so, especially on Steam, with its strict policy? Steam is good for the sales, otherwise I use it to read non-ero games such as Harmonia, Clannad, Steins;Gate, etc (I will have to see myself what they did with S;G questionable scenes). I'm looking forward to Little Busters. Otherwise I'll just grab my game at Mangagamer, Jast, etc.

Criminal Girls wasn't butchered for Steam.  It was butchered for the console release, and they simply didn't bother to fix it up for Steam.  For eroge, I think of Steam as an advertising platform, and apparently so does Illusion.

23 hours ago, UnlimitedMoeWorks said:

VNs on Steam are hardly worth it because they're censored to meet their guidelines which can take away the full experience. You're better off buying the 18+ versions off distributor sites like Denpasoft and Mangagamer or importing the Japanese versions and using translation patches.

Really, the only VN that will be really worth buying on Steam is an upcoming one called Libra of the Vampire Princess which will come out in March 2017. MiKandi Japan plans on making an official 18+ patch as DLC for the Steam version.

As I said, the exchange rate is the only reason I prefer to buy from Steam.  Sure, if there is no patch available I'll buy directly from Mangagamer, JAST, etc. but if it's an all-ages only game or has a patch I'll save myself $2-$10 and buy it from Steam (more with sales of course). Yes I know buying directly from the publisher gives them a better share, but most of that difference in price just goes to the credit card companies anyway with their exchange rates that are nowhere near the real exchange rate and "currency conversion fee".  When I'm paying almost paying double what I had to a couple years ago due to the shitty dollar, I take any saving I can get.