[US Only] Nvidia Class-Action Lawsuit Settlement over GTX 970 Advertising

Zenophilious

If you bought a GTX 970, you should fill out a claim here before November 30th so you'll get a $30 settlement.  Nvidia apparently claimed that the VRAM was more efficient than it was, and as such, committed false advertising.

If you bought one, you may or may not have received an email about it already, and it should have a claim number on the upper left-hand side.  I thought it was spam at first, but then remembered that they were actually getting sued, and it was a class action suit, and it appears to be fully legit.

I personally don't really care all that much, as I plan to get a 1080 sometime in the near future, but free money is free money, and I thought I'd pass this along, in case anyone else happened to own a 970 and wanted some dough.

I watched this debacle unfold on tech sites.  In its marketing materials, Nvidia claimed the card had more accessible graphics memory than it actually had due to an internal misunderstanding between departments.  It was still an excellent card, and the shortfall was fairly minor.  This shortfall was of course reflected in actual benchmarks.

6 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

I watched this debacle unfold on tech sites.  In its marketing materials, Nvidia claimed the card had more accessible graphics memory than it actually had due to an internal misunderstanding between departments.  It was still an excellent card, and the shortfall was fairly minor.  This shortfall was of course reflected in actual benchmarks.

Was it a misunderstanding between departments, did it severely affect the performance of the card itself, was a problem only on benchmarks that don't reflect anything from a graphic card or in actual real games, in super ultra high resolutions that the card just can't pull off or in any resolution, was it an excellent card? I can go on and on, the thing is none of that matters.
It was false advertising, period. You paid for a graphic card with 4gb vram you got one with only 3.5 vram accessible (and the rest was still there but accessible but in a lower way which again it doesn't really matters either)

"(1) defendant made false or misleading statements as to his own products (or another’s); (2) actual deception, or at least a tendency to deceive a substantial portion of the intended audience; (3) deception is material in that it is likely to influence purchasing decisions; (4) the advertised goods travel in interstate commerce; and (5) a likelihood of injury to plaintiff. However, the plaintiff does not have to prove actual injury."

On 10/14/2016 at 2:54 AM, Ronnie21093 said:

Oh, $30~... Wait, I live in Canada. Darn it, why can't this apply to all countries that the card was sold in? Why do only Americans get it?

Because they got sued in America in a US court. They don't have any legal obligation beyond that unless someone sues them overseas.