Getting PSVR?

PhleBuster

Is anyone else hype for PSVR release?

Have my Summer Lesson pre-downloaded and waiting eagerly for news of my PSVR copy shipping. Was kinda hoping to get it by tomorrow already but guess it wasn't meant to be.

Disclaimer: I already tried PSVR (Summer Lesson and Resident Evil 7) at Tokyo Game Show so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. The graphics were actually more pixelated than I'd have thought, but that turned out a minor complaint next to how immersive the games were.

That sense of presence is something else. 

I'm also speculating that PS4 Pro will increase the graphic fidelity of PSVR games, since they all run on PS4 and all games released in October and beyond must be PS4 Pro compatible (which also means they must support higher resolution and such), but no 100% confirmation on that

1 minute ago, Clephas said:

I thought about it... but I honestly don't see any games that are interesting enough for me to bother with at this point... I'm more likely to get the Oculus, since it is a more specialized system.

It's a shame Summer Lesson isn't being released in the west (at least for now). Best launch title for the platform by far. I'm really picky about games in general, think I've only bought 3 for PS4 so far and I've had that for over 2 years now. But this one won me over instantly when I actually tried it on PSVR (I watched people play it on the screen last year, but didn't get to try it myself, so it only looked moderately interesting).

VR is quite a niche thing too since it has so many entry barriers to get into. It's  incredibly pricey, it requires a spacious room to even remotely enjoy, and you better be fully able bodied if you want to do anything with it. Among other things. The average consumer does not fall into these categories. At least motion controls were more somewhat more universal, but even they didn't last.

After witnessing how VR has evolved since the occulus popped up, I quickly came to the conclusion that sure, it's kinda fun to feel more visually immersed in a game, but is it more convenient than just grabbing a controller/keyboard and playing the darn game? And the answer is no, no it's not. Just like motion controls and the kinnect were not convinient outside of very specific situations.

In fact, I see much more potential in VR outside of gaming, which is why I found the Holo Lens a much more interesting concept than any of the current gaming VR headsets.

17 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

VR is quite a niche thing too since it has so many entry barriers to get into. It's  incredibly pricey, it requires a spacious room to even remotely enjoy, and you better be fully able bodied if you want to do anything with it. Among other things. The average consumer does not fall into these categories. At least motion controls were more somewhat more universal, but even they didn't last.

After witnessing how VR has evolved since the occulus popped up, I quickly came to the conclusion that sure, it's kinda fun to feel more visually immersed in a game, but is it more convenient than just grabbing a controller/keyboard and playing the darn game? And the answer is no, no it's not. Just like motion controls and the kinnect were not convinient outside of very specific situations.

In fact, I see much more potential in VR outside of gaming, which is why I found the Holo Lens a much more interesting concept than any of the current gaming VR headsets.

That sounds like Vive. You can play PSVR comfortably in your chair with a pad, without doing any acrobatics or needing extra space. Just saying! And it's much cheaper than the PC alternatives, assuming you own a PS4. 

But yeah it's definitely something that you need to try yourself to understand. I've had a chance to try a bunch of VR 'games' on different platforms and they all felt like something that (at best) would be fun for 5 minutes and you'd quickly grow tired of.

So I was pretty skeptical of the concept myself too, until my hands-on PSVR experience. Well, I'll get to play the games for real soon, and will see how well the experience survives repeat use.

Only time will tell of course. But it's showing all the signs the kinnect and other types of motion controls showcased before they died off. They were also the future back then and companies built up the hype as if gaming was about to be revolutionized, as if one day gaming would no longer involve regular controllers with buttons, and then people just realized it's not that convenient to play games with those technologies overall and ditched them. I don't see VR in its current state doing much better with all of its current barries, hence why I am not personally investing in it. 

The one way I see VR staying afloat as of now is its high price point, which kinda serves as a safety net in case the technology doesn't fare too well over time.

One of the biggest barriers for me is not being able to try out these headsets before buying.  No way am I going to pay that kind of money only to find out whichever headset doesn't fit over my glasses comfortably or makes me motion sick.  I haven't seen a store with a floor model of the Rift or Vive yet.  Maybe it will be different for PSVR.  Another big barrier is the exclusivity.  I'm already not really a fan of system exclusive games, but I don't want to have to buy a different headset for different games.  PSVR isn't quite as bad to my mind since it's already for an exclusive system, but I've heard that games released for the Rift don't necessarily work with the Vive and vice versa unless the developer specifically develops it with support for both.