visual novels you consider masterpieces

ratboi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I wouldn't really consider any VNs a masterpiece, but the closest ones to it are, imo ofc, Stein's Gate, Umineko, and Kajiri Kamui Kagura. There may be others that I have not read yet, but so far I consider these to be some that come close to a masterpiece

Actually, scratch that. I think Kajiri is probably a masterpiece. The other two are damn close, tho

Edited by TheBoys1

• 2 months later...

Sayonara o Oshiete ~comment te dire adieu~ is a true masterpiece of psychology. It is unfathomable how relatable that game becomes if you are an insomniac and have some schizo tendencies. But the music, artstyle, the eternal dusk... it is all perfect. One day I will give it the review it deserves, but not yet. I have yet to read it a fifth time.

The Eiyuu Senki Trilogy (Yes, I am counting WWX since there is a patch for it): Not only this game is an easier Sengoku Rance-like game but it's also funny, fun and educational!

The Utawarerumono Trilogy: A MUST PLAY if you want an amazing story.

Even though it's not translated yet, Kuro Ai: The first Hentai I ever watched! It's a crime that this didn't get translated yet. The reason of my subscription here is to find someone interested in including an English Translation for this game, even if it is MTL.

The Funbag Fantasy series: Many play this one for the boobage, I play this one for the lore and its analogy to in real life history.

Once in a Lifetime: The only 3D VN on this list and an AMAZING one to boot! Caribdis is an amazing content creator, please support him! And if you're not into 3D VNs, start with this one, maybe you'll change your mind.

• 2 weeks later...

From all otome games I have played I think Taisho x Alice could be called a masterpiece.

The way it used fairy tales to tell the character's problems was really remarkable! I knew when I played Cinderella's route that it was something special. And then almost all routes hit so strong in the character and thematic department! Not to mention the plot twist which was something I never saw before, but thanks to great foreshadowing slowly managed to piece together myself. It's really a game where you have to play every single route because the truth builds on everything.

Also Yurika is a one of a kind protagonist and you need to experience her! She is the furthest you can get from a self-insert protagonist lol

So yeah it's freaking good!

Another game which is less of an "objective" masterpiece but it's the masterpiece of my heart is Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk.

This game was the most enjoyable ride I ever experienced. You know when it feels like a game was made just for you? Because it was made perfectly to your taste? This is that game for me. While I can criticize some things (too long chapter 2, should have been a kinetic novel really), the joy I felt while watching the stone (plot) run down a hill while destroying everything was indescribable! This game knew what kind of tragedy I loved most and delivered on all fronts. The active, voiced protagonist, the enemies to lovers main romance, the sheer hopelessness of the situation, the absolute drama! The stone that would not stop rolling until nothing was left. I felt like I was watching a modern Shakespeare play made for women lol

The only reason why I'm sure it can't be an "objective" masterpiece is because there seem to be a lot of people who REALLY don't like this game. I am still a bit puzzled on why however...

• 2 weeks later...

Masterpiece is hard to come by since it's such a subjective matter of thought that always takes numerous variables into consideration when thinking up of one.
For me, it all depends on what the story did for me on both a logical and emotional level, the construction and flow of the paths it took regarding subject matter and plot, how well do the pros weigh against the cons, did I enjoy and love the characters, music, atmosphere, etc, is it something I will still love when I eventually re-read it in JP, does it stick with me even years after reading it and letting the honeymoon phase upon completion die down, and so forth. 

I've only encountered 4 so far that have done "that" for me. Those titles are and in no particular order:

-The current available entries in the 幸福 trilogy (Subarashiki Hibi & Sakura no Uta, Sakura no Toki will likely join whenever I get to it)
-Utawarerumono 3: Futari no Hakuoro
-Fata Morgana

Strong contenders for when they are completed or whenever I get to them include Tsukihime Remake and Kara no Shoujo tetralogy.
...Ah yes, and how could I ever forget the kamige of nukige: Onee-chan no Yuuwaku. Saved my life.