visual novels you consider masterpieces

ratboi

38 minutes ago, Shota_Victory said:

I personally think Clannad is horribly overrated. A lot of the character backstories are ripped straight from Kanon and One, and the main heroine's literal only defining features is how much she loves the protaganist and

Reveal hidden contents

her dying.

Generally, it's a well written nakige, and I'd group some of the routes as some of my favorites overall, but it certainly doesn't match up to actual literature. It's not even the best tile by Key, dammit!

Definitely agreed. While I dont really care about being rip off of the other titles (I like both of them more than clannad tho) its just too meaninglessly long and at least half of the routes are pretty boring & makes you want to drop it. Yeah the comedy was good just like the other key titles and the after story was pretty awesome & leaves a great taste in the mouth, but the road until that part wasn't really "masterpiece" at all, at least for me.

Natsukuru and Majikoi series.

Natsukuru for the intriguing story which has some plot holes though, so is it really a masterpiece? No but it's the best VN I read until now.

Majikoi is just the complete package that does everything just right, the comedy, action and characters blend really well in the universe of majikoi, it's a solid read from beginning till the end. 

1 hour ago, Shota_Victory said:

G-Senjou was pretty good.

I personally think Clannad is horribly overrated. A lot of the character backstories are ripped straight from Kanon and One, and the main heroine's literal only defining features is how much she loves the protaganist and 

Hide contents

her dying.

Generally, it's a well written nakige, and I'd group some of the routes as some of my favorites overall, but it certainly doesn't match up to actual literature. It's not even the best tile by Key, dammit!

Well I think it's the best key VN, if not the BEST VN (in my opinion anyway)

That's hard to say actually.

I don't think I have any VNs that I'd consider a masterpiece to be honest. For it to be a masterpiece in my eyes, it needs to have a very good story, character development and maybe a well structured romance setting as well. So far not many of them have reached that level. I've also stopped reading the story-heavy ones since I usually lose interest in them straight away and went back to reading the moeoge ones instead.

If you ask about favourite VNs then that's a different story since I can name a few of them like the story mode from Blazblue. The game that got me into reading VNs.

I wouldn't consider many VN's to be "masterpieces" but a lot have come close (then again, it depends on what you think is a masterpiece). I really like Clannad, it's one of only two VN's that have actually made me cry, I haven't read a "huge" amount of VN's but I'd say I've read a decent amount and most just don't make me that emotionally involved. Clannad was my first KEY VN though so I didn't notice how people are saying they ripped off the characters (but then again, how could I, it was my first Key VN, totally not doing this to make my post look longer by the way). I recommend watching the anime after reading the VN too, some moments are just.......manly tears? (or womanly tears depending on who you are but...) Basically, any Key VN is at the very least decent if not very good.

Also, (this should probably be a whole new thread but....meh) has anyone read a VN that actually made them bawl their eyes out. I mean, I'll probably shed tears at a very emotional moment.

Ushio......

:cry:

But I haven't actually "cryed" when reading a VN (like my face just flooding with tears). Soooooooo, does anyone have any recommendations?

I consider a VN a masterpiece when it hits me hard on the feelings. A piece of work where not only the story drives me on reading it, but something that makes me really care for the characters. That said, out of the top of my head, VNs that falls under this category are Clannad, Kanon, Gore Screaming Show, Boku no Kanojo wa Gatenkei and YU-NO. There are other VNs that have some routes that hits me hard (G-senjou no Maou and Kawarazaki-ke no Ichizoku 2), but the former that I mentioned I enjoyed literally all routes and they hit me hard everytime I read them again.

Also I consider VNs a masterpiece for fap materials. I mean, I start to read a VN just for the sake of fapping and it doesn't disappoint me in any scene. That said, any title from Ricotta enter this category, the Tsumamigui series and some Anim titles (Kabe no Mukou no Tsuma no Koe is an example). 

On 10/10/2016 at 4:26 PM, Pythagoras said:

I wouldn't consider many VN's to be "masterpieces" but a lot have come close (then again, it depends on what you think is a masterpiece). I really like Clannad, it's one of only two VN's that have actually made me cry, I haven't read a "huge" amount of VN's but I'd say I've read a decent amount and most just don't make me that emotionally involved. Clannad was my first KEY VN though so I didn't notice how people are saying they ripped off the characters (but then again, how could I, it was my first Key VN, totally not doing this to make my post look longer by the way). I recommend watching the anime after reading the VN too, some moments are just.......manly tears? (or womanly tears, is that how you say it?) Basically, any Key VN is at the very least decent if not very good.

Also, (this should probably be a whole new thread but....meh) has anyone read a VN that actually made them bawl their eyes out. I mean, I'll probably shed tears at a very emotional moment.

Reveal hidden contents

Ushio......

:cry:

But I haven't actually "cryed" when reading a VN (like my face just flooding with tears). Soooooooo, does anyone have any recommendations?

I completely agree with you on Clannad, so far it is my top vn and it is just absolutely amazing, like i mentioned in my previous post it was the only vn where i could connect with the characters that well. if you want a vn that will make you cry and feel miserable then Narcissu it is. it was my first 'depressing' vn so maybe that was the reason that it had a huge impact on me but it took me a while to get over it. I don't think i will come across a vn that will make me that emotional as much as Narcissu did. Also Swan Song is really good too and very emotional.

One of those that had quite strong impact on me, mind it was one of first I read, was ShiniKiss. Additionally it was probably the only that made me cry, in true route that is. Wouldn't call it masterpiece by any means, but I enjoyed it and for short one it was simply good.

It begins with an S and ends with teins;Gate. I didn't even play it, I watched a full gameplay.

Kanon.

Zero Escape Series, with time I've even forgiven Zero Time Dilemma. As for VLR, I was more hooked to that game than to any game since... Knights of the Old Republic back in 2005? I just couldn't stop playing.

Katawa Shoujo, it was my true gateway into actual visual novels. It holds up, but depends on how many novels you've played; still, the deft deconstruction of tropes guarantees the stories are pretty unique.

Hoshimemo and possibly Konosora promise to be really great.

20 hours ago, Okarin said:

It begins with an S and ends with teins;Gate. I didn't even play it, I watched a full gameplay.

Not to jump to conclusions or anything, but that sounds kind of like you didn't buy the game.  You know, if you think the game is a masterpiece, it's probably worth dropping a few bucks to give the developers some cash.  If you're anything like me, you want the spinoffs to come out, right?

3 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Not to jump to conclusions or anything, but that sounds kind of like you didn't buy the game.  You know, if you think the game is a masterpiece, it's probably worth dropping a few bucks to give the developers some cash.  If you're anything like me, you want the spinoffs to come out, right?

I'm planning to get it and then actually play it sometime in 2017 (Spring, probably). But the Steam release is yet too expensive for what it is, locked at 30 FPS and so. I only spend more than 30 bucks for a game on 3DS' exclusives.

I'm also doing it with my views set on a future release of S;G Zero on Steam.

On 2016年10月9日 at 8:16 AM, ratboi said:

With this, I mean VNs you would even group with some of the great novels of the world. For me it would be: Clannad: I mostly mean after story. This VN made me cry more than anything. It is in my eyes a great piece of literature. If my heart had wings: I dunno. The feel, the art. Its all amazing. Its just GOOD. Actually AMAZING. Last but not least homeward: This one man project got me into VNs. Maybe I hold some personal bies, but I love the story, and how sad yet hopeful it is. It is trully amazing and for the price 0.00 I highly recommend it. Anyways thats my list, what VNs do you consider masterpieces?

You didn't read enough vns. Imo Subahibi / Sakura no Uta are master pieces.