Where Can I get people to translate Visual Novels?

Benkei Chan

So Since like 2 Years ago I had an eye on visual novels such as chusingura 46+1. The Chusingura 46+1 has been translated and sent out through steam but it has been modified so that there are no H sceenes. i may Sound like a prevert but I would prefer to see the original vn but that has been translated. But as there are none I wanted to know if I can hire someone or do something about this

Fan translations are already in a bit of a legal grey zone, but paying someone to produce a fan-translation is illegal. Don't do that.

Speaking as a fan translator, we tend to pick the projects we want to TL first, not the projects we know other people want. Being motivated is extremely important when it comes to fan TLs. Without motivation, even translating a handful of lines can feel like a chore. Because of this, most of us don't really take requests. Translating takes a long time- you will be "stuck" with one project for months, sometimes much longer if the project is big, and so if you are doing it just because one person asked for it, you probably won't feel that motivated.
I get your reasoning, but you really won't be able to just ask someone to TL something for you. That's not really how it works. You are better of using your money to purchase the Japanese game, and playing it next to the English one with a machine translator or something of the sort, to at least see the original scenes in some way. It won't give you an incredible result, but it's better than nothing.

2 hours ago, Ningen said:

As a reference, the Kickstarter for ChuSinGura 46+1 wanted $80,000 for the Localization :Kappa:

Shit Thats a lot of money 

2 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Fan translations are already in a bit of a legal grey zone, but paying someone to produce a fan-translation is illegal. Don't do that.

Speaking as a fan translator, we tend to pick the projects we want to TL first, not the projects we know other people want. Being motivated is extremely important when it comes to fan TLs. Without motivation, even translating a handful of lines can feel like a chore. Because of this, most of us don't really take requests. Translating takes a long time- you will be "stuck" with one project for months, sometimes much longer if the project is big, and so if you are doing it just because one person asked for it, you probably won't feel that motivated.
I get your reasoning, but you really won't be able to just ask someone to TL something for you. That's not really how it works. You are better of using your money to purchase the Japanese game, and playing it next to the English one with a machine translator or something of the sort, to at least see the original scenes in some way. It won't give you an incredible result, but it's better than nothing.

Thx for the info. May I ask you where I can get this Machine translator thing

33 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Do tell.

On topic: Paying for fan TL's is a bad idea. Can't really add anything.

he means loe who takes/took commissions for stuff other than his main-projects, such as extra-routes, bonus content, or simply other titles. though works he´s not interested in himself would still get refused from what i can tell. btw i dont think he does the whole commission thingy as a means of getting rich, more to additionally cover some rather hefty bills, so dont expect him pulling some 80h+ titles out of nowhere if offered a little money.

Paying people to fantl is a crime and one of the few forms of piracy/copyright infringement that the Japanese companies will actually go after you for. 

Also, from a fantl's perspective, there is no reason to try to translate something that they have no personal interest in.

You are kidding me, right? :wahaha:

You want to pay a fan-translator? :D Man, I understand a little bit of donations and such but paying for a whole TL is just ... simply not a fan-TL!!!! :sachi: That's a payed-TL!!!! Anyway, this particular VN you are speaking of is on Steam in quite a butchered state right now and it's really sad to see Japanese companies doing this type of things to their fans ... I am not speaking about missing H-scenes, I am speaking about awful translation and you can find evidence of it and I do understand why would somebody want another translation but I believe that paying for a "fan-TL" is not that way. The best option for VN reading right now would be to start learning Japanese and then practicing it with VN reading (with help of machine translators), it's not an unachiavable goal some people claim it to be. That's where you should spend your 500$, enroll to a course and start learning Japanese! That's a far better investment in my opinion, that way you will not need a single fan-translator in your lifetime! And you will be able to read whatever Japanese VN you want, and yes, with included H-scenes! :wahaha:

48 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Trust me, nobody is gonna want to TL something that they're not interested in just because you paid them to do it. Translation isn't easy and translating something you have no interest in is pointless.

Are you kidding me? If someone paid me 77.000.000$ to translate a VN I have no interest in, I would drop everything I'm currently doing to learn japanese. What are 2-10 years of my life compared to being rich for the rest of it?

The problem is that nobody would be insane enough to pay that (or any number close to it).

51 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

Are you kidding me? If someone paid me 77.000.000$ to translate a VN I have no interest in, I would drop everything I'm currently doing to learn japanese. What are 2-10 years of my life compared to being rich for the rest of it?

The problem is that nobody would be insane enough to pay that (or any number close to it).

The Japanese part is true, really. Any language is not hard if you dedicate enough time and are passionate about it. I started learning Japanese way back due to VNs, and now I am moving on to Sophia Uni next year. Japanese gr8 m8

1 hour ago, Kiso said:

Speaking of translations, how do I start translating? I got the language skills, but not the tools and other stuff.

Teams are always looking for translators. Go post over here with your skills, qualifications, and what you're interested in, and you can probably find something you're interested in working on and a team to work with:

That said... be serious before you do. Committing to TL a game is a huge endeavor that will take, at least, months of time. Translation projects get abandoned a lot. I'd encourage you to sign up only if you're really ready to commit to that, and suggest you make certain your team is equally serious about showing results.

1 hour ago, TexasDice said:

No sane person would pay an EOP to translate something either.

10 hours ago, Dergonu said:

All fan translations are illegal.  The Berne Convention specifically provides that copyright holders have control over translations.  Fan translations exist at the sufferance of the copyright holders, who have the legal authority to go to court to demand that any project be stopped.

However, most companies don't know, or don't care, about the patches.  And even the ones that do care can't really do much about it, because VN developers are usually poor, and suing people in a foreign country is very expensive and time consuming and a pain in the ass.  That's why you hear about translation projects shut down by C&D, but never any actual lawsuits being filed.

Fan translations are an ethical grey area, not a legal one.  Paying someone to produce a fan-translation is unethical in addition to being illegal (because someone is making money off someone else's work without paying for it or getting permission).  It also is significantly more likely to get rightsholders pissed off enough at you to decide they want to try to make an example out of you.

As a fantranslator myself, I can tell by how much the OP is offering that they have no idea how much translators charge, or how long it takes.  It took me two and a half years to translate Nocturnal Illusion from scratch, and that's a game I'd already played in English multiple times.  It isn't even a particularly long game, either.  I spent hundreds of hours during that time on the game.  $500 might be a lot of money to the OP, but in terms of how much work is involved, it's peanuts.

You can motivate translators to work on something they're not particularly fond of.  By paying the industry going rate.  However, professional translators charge somewhere between ten cents and a dollar per word.  (I've never done pro work - not nearly good enough - so I can't quote you real numbers.)  Nocturnal Illusion's script is easily 500K characters in Japanese.  That's about fifty thousand dollars; a hundred times the original offer.  (Now, h-games probably pay somewhat less than the going rate.  Still.)

2 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Fan translations are an ethical grey area, not a legal one.  Paying someone to produce a fan-translation is unethical in addition to being illegal (because someone is making money off someone else's work without paying for it or getting permission).  It also is significantly more likely to get rightsholders pissed off enough at you to decide they want to try to make an example out of you.

I think it's perfectly legal until you distribute the work.

I'm no lawyer, it gets weird.  As a practical matter, if you keep the translation private, nobody will know about it and so it's impossible to be sued over it anyway.

But nobody goes to the trouble to make a fan translation, and then keeps it to themselves.  Sure, technically, I guess we wouldn't know, would we?  But I'm pretty sure that nobody would do all that work and then just keep the results for themselves.  Only a superrich person would be able to assemble a team willing to work under those conditions.  And if there were any superrich VN fans, they could for probably not much more money arrange for an authorized translation of whatever game they were so dying to play that they were considering paying for a private fan patch.

On 10/5/2016 at 5:21 PM, Benkei Chan said:

So Since like 2 Years ago I had an eye on visual novels such as chusingura 46+1. The Chusingura 46+1 has been translated and sent out through steam but it has been modified so that there are no H sceenes. i may Sound like a prevert but I would prefer to see the original vn but that has been translated. But as there are none I wanted to know if I can hire someone or do something about this

So you're looking for someone to translate the H-scenes in Chusungura?  That's probably doable.  You just need to interest a translation group that cares about censorship.  Translating a few H-scenes could take as little as a few days.  Inserting the text into the game could be the larger issue.  But as the KonoSora restoraton project shows, such projects are certainly doable and even finishable in a relatively short timeframe--provided the original translation is actually worth adding to.