History of Fuwa.

Hayashi

I just joined Fuwa a year ago, am still one of the fresh potatos out there. And out of nowhere while browsing fuwa, this question came up.

"Why was Fuwa named Fuwa, and the origins of Fuwa?" 

Anyone veteran want to give me a history lesson on this VN site?

I don't know about the reason of why Fuwanovel was named Fuwa, but at least I knew that it was started from Visual Novel Aer site which hosting the news in regard of visual novel. Back at 2012, the owner of Visual Novel Aer Aaeru (Who was quite eccentric there) decided to made the site which allow us to downloading all translated visual novel using torrent (At least until around the beginning of 2015), and also to still giving the visual novel news of course. If you need more perspective, you could just browse those two thread below, created by Zalor and Solidbatman.

PS - To all mod, while this topic was quite interesting I think this thread was more fitting on either general discussion or member lounge section. Just my opinion here. 

I know of Fuwa's existence since at least 2013 but I never really wondered about why Aaeru decided to call it "Fuwanovel" ... But thinking about it now, if I am not mistaken here, "Fuwa" by itself has meaning in Japanese, I think it's a mimetic word to describe something fluffy or soft ... So by that logic, I think Aaeru had in mind "soft novels" (Fuwa+Novel) and if we go a little bit further, I could say "Softer Novel Translations" since the original idea behind Fuwanovel was to provide fan-made translation patches for VNs, Aaeru wanted to make some kind of a hub for all fan-translators ... And oh my, what a backlash she got :D I still remember people flaming her back in the day, that's why Fuwa was blacklisted as a pirate site and if you remember earlier period of this site, you know that it was providing torrents for all fan-translated VNs :)

Spoiler

<Zakamutt> so was Fuwa picked to mean 不和, aaeru? 
 <Aaeru> lol
 <Aaeru> no it's more like
 <Aaeru> ふわっと; ふわーっと; フワーっと; フワーと (adv,vs) (1) (on-mim) floating; drifting; weightlessness; (2) (on-mim) softly; gently; lightly [
 <Zakamutt> hmm
 <Aaeru> but apparently westerners interpret it as fuwafuwa which is fluffy
 <Aaeru> which is fine too
 *Heyitsjiwon ([email protected]) has joined
 <Aaeru> but originally i thought
 <Zakamutt> I figured "dissesion, disagrement" mgith fit too
 <Aaeru> they were novels that make u go fuwaaaa---
 <Aaeru> make your heart go alight
 <kaguya_> ...
 <Aaeru> bcuz of the romance
 <Zakamutt>^^