ChuSinGura: is it recommended?

voidpointer

13 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Hide contents

In the first 3 chapters they all commit seppuku at the end.

Spoiler

*Sigh* I guess that's where the time loop comes in. Five chapters and each is pretty much the same story with slight differences and a glorified mass suicide at the end. And all that with super cutesy moe art. Great! :sleep:

Why can't Japanese VN writers simply accept death and go on without silly returns?!

9 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:
  Reveal hidden contents

*Sigh* I guess that's where the time loop comes in. Five chapters and each is pretty much the same story with slight differences and a glorified mass suicide at the end. And all that with super cutesy moe art. Great! :sleep:

Why can't Japanese VN writers simply accept death and go on without silly returns?!

Spoiler

One of the reasons I can't stand a lot of Key's stuff. ( at least when it comes to story direction)

1 hour ago, Toranth said:

Sorry, let me be more specific:  The Steam release is based on the mobage version which was in turn built off the Vita version.  All three versions were developed and published by different companies, so it doesn't surprise me that NextNinja, the publishers this time, din't have complete rights to all three other versions.

The mobage port is a pay to win version of the PC game where you play like 1 minute of the game and then need to buy scenario tickets to see the next 5 lines.

It`s not build off the vita version.

They got the assets from Inre and made a mobage out of it, nothing to do with the Vita version.

13 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Not quite.

You follow a new heroine each time, seeing different aspects of the story unfolding and the timeloop isn't by choice either.

38 minutes ago, Ningen said:

Hide contents

Not quite.

You follow a new heroine each time, seeing different aspects of the story unfolding and the timeloop isn't by choice either.

Spoiler

So you go for a different heroine all five times just to have each one die at the end?! lol That's just glorious, can it get even more pointless than that? Does the protagonist think he can change the outcome by banging another girl each time? That would make 47 possible chapters. I guess that's why there's a fan disc for more 'tries'.

And who cares if the time loop is by choice?! What matters is that it happens. It's probably triggered by the death of the protagonist like usual.

39 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:
  Hide contents

So you go for a different heroine all five times just to have each one die at the end?! lol That's just glorious, can it get even more pointless than that? Does the protagonist think he can change the outcome by banging another girl each time? That would make 47 possible chapters. I guess that's why there's a fan disc for more 'tries'.

And who cares if the time loop is by choice?! What matters is that it happens. It's probably triggered by the death of the protagonist like usual.

Spoiler

You pretty much have to accept them dying as that's how it happened in history. Changing history is not the point of the game.

Your goal is more to find out the conspiracy of how you got back in time and stopping the forces behind that.

The fan disc continues the story after ch5 with bits of your adventure in the bakumatsu era inbetween, so it has no loops, but you still bang like 20 girls :holo:

1 hour ago, Ningen said:

The mobage port is a pay to win version of the PC game where you play like 1 minute of the game and then need to buy scenario tickets to see the next 5 lines.

It`s not build off the vita version.

They got the assets from Inre and made a mobage out of it, nothing to do with the Vita version.

The makers of the mobage say it is based on the Vita version.  The makers of the Steam release said it was based off the mobage version.

The assets of the Steam release DO NOT MATCH the original PC - not even the Japanese text of the Steam release, and the English doesn't match either version.  It is obvious where the English was changed as part of the release (to remove references to sex or nudity).  However, the Japanese text (taken from the mobage) also removes references to things like menstruation, wetting oneself, using the toilet / indigestion, or minors with alcohol.  Unless you think that NextNinja did a Japanese re-write for this release, the text is clearly NOT taken from the original PC version.

And no, Nier, the game was not "butchered".  Please stop saying that.  The adult content DID NOT ADD ANYTHING to the game, and removing it did not hurt the game.  Hyperbole like yours is why it is difficult for people to get a good idea of the actual quality of products.  I suppose you think the original Japanese release of games like Wagamama High-Spec were "butchered" because the naked sprites pack wasn't included in the game?  And yet, that's about the same level of fanservice and meaning that the adult content added to ChuSinGura.

5 minutes ago, Toranth said:

The makers of the mobage say it is based on the Vita version.  The makers of the Steam release said it was based off the mobage version.

The assets of the Steam release DO NOT MATCH the original PC - not even the Japanese text of the Steam release, and the English doesn't match either version.  It is obvious where the English was changed as part of the release (to remove references to sex or nudity).  However, the Japanese text (taken from the mobage) also removes references to things like menstruation, wetting oneself, using the toilet / indigestion, or minors with alcohol.  Unless you think that NextNinja did a Japanese re-write for this release, the text is clearly NOT taken from the original PC version.

And no, Nier, the game was not "butchered".  Please stop saying that.  The adult content DID NOT ADD ANYTHING to the game, and removing it did not hurt the game.  Hyperbole like yours is why it is difficult for people to get a good idea of the actual quality of products.  I suppose you think the original Japanese release of games like Wagamama High-Spec were "butchered" because the naked sprites pack wasn't included in the game?  And yet, that's about the same level of fanservice and meaning that the adult content added to ChuSinGura.

However, would you agree that what happened to IMHHW was "butchering"? I'm just trying to gauge a common baseline here...

Let's try another approach for comparison: The censorship of Eden* was very fitting. In fact, I think it made the game more enjoyable since the H scenes actually distract from the plot & emotional immersion of the story. It's an example of a title I can appreciate censorship on.

So which does chusingura compare to? Eden censorship or IMHHW censorship? That's kind of a good way to define a baseline.

4 minutes ago, voidpointer said:

However, would you agree that what happened to IMHHW was "butchering"? I'm just trying to gauge a common baseline here...

Let's try another approach for comparison: The censorship of Eden* was very fitting. In fact, I think it made the game more enjoyable since the H scenes actually distract from the plot & emotional immersion of the story. It's an example of a title I can appreciate censorship on.

So which does chusingura compare to? Eden censorship or IMHHW censorship? That's kind of a good way to define a baseline.

I don't own the English version of IMHHW, and I don't own Eden* at all - so I can't use your comparison, sorry.

However, in KonoSora's original release, the presence of sex and sexual relationships is rather significant, to the characters and the story.  From what I've heard, they did a very poor job in removing it, which would qualify as "butchering", I guess.  Certainly there are games, like December without an Angel (Tenshi no Inai Juuni-getsu), that simply cannot exist without their sexual content.  If you wanted to try, you'd have to rewrite a lot of content very carefully.  It could be done... but I seriously doubt any localization team would have the skills needed.

1 hour ago, Toranth said:

To be quite honest, I haven't and don't plan to do an in-depth comparison of the Japanese text from the original, the steam release and the vita port.

If you've seen their two failed Kickstarts you should know, NextNinja is kinda sketchy. So i wouldn't be surprised if they stole parts of the Vita version / were heavily 'inspired' by it.:Kappa:

Fact however is, they didn't add the new scenes or audio from the vita version to fill the gaps the cutting of the sex scenes left.

Like you said the story is untouched and ChuSinGura being a story-rich game, it can probably be enjoyed as is. 

Nonetheless as far as an all-ages version goes, the vita version would be far superior with smoother transitions, whereas the Steam version is done rather lazily.

1 hour ago, voidpointer said:

I haven't played or even touched the "butchered" version of IMHHW, so I am not familiar with.

But as Toranth already mentioned the story of ChuSinGura has been left intact.

Personally I would never play a "cut" game unless I have played the complete game first.

But I doubt you speak Japanese, so that might not be an option, unless someone releases a fantranslation/restauration patch.

As the full game has only been released for a few days i would suggest waiting a few weeks or months to see if someone intends to do a patch.

If you just want to enjoy the story, the cut perverted scenes with boobs showing etc might not be necessary. 

The important thing about sex scenes is giving yourself to your partner, emotional borders being broken down, the characters getting closer and so on.

So in my opinion just cutting those scenes leaves a gap in the progression of the relationship. You should at least know sex happened.

Another option would be to play the original and the steam version side by side, so you don't miss out on the sex scenes.

If you put both of them on auto with one muted and stop the steam version once a sex scene comes up that shouldn't be a problem.

(understanding sex scenes is possible even with very limited knowledge of Japanese)

If you want to know wether you should buy the game on steam.

Go ahead, it's on sale atm and I have dozens of games on steam I will never play...

4 hours ago, Toranth said:

The makers of the Steam release said it was based off the mobage version.

No, ChuSingura46+1 S will be a PC only title for the Steam platform developed from the Japanese PC version.

http://disq.us/p/17ikuej

http://disq.us/p/17ikt6i

I don't think you're remembering that right.  They either translated something incredibly poorly, because they're ignorant and/or incompetent, or switched plans after they saw the backlash.  They scrubbed all mentions of "mobage" from their final Kickstarter page, aside from debunking the idea that they were using the mobage version.

57 minutes ago, voidpointer said:

I stand corrected; however, I still feel that my point makes sense as a comparison. 

Not really... You are comparing a game that was intended to be All-Ages from the start who's 18+ content was shoved on-top of the base All-Age game as a bonus H-Patch with a game that was intended to be 18+ from the start and needed hefty changes to work as an All-Ages title. For comparison you should stick with 18+ games that were 18+ from the start but then received All-Ages version for console releases, such as:

Grisaia Trilogy

Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa o Hirogete Cruise Sign

Monobeno

Fate/Stay night

Fate/hollow ataraxia

Princess Evangile

Eiyuu Senki

Clover Day's

etc

If you want to play it, I'd seriously recommend downloading a pirated version than buying it as supporting NextNinja can only mean bad news. xD
If not for them, the game would've probably been localized by a proper company, maybe even translated by me, so you probably don't want them to collect enough funds to get another good license.

25 minutes ago, Conjueror said:

If you want to play it, I'd seriously recommend downloading a pirated version than buying it as supporting NextNinja can only mean bad news. xD
If not for them, the game would've probably been localized by a proper company, maybe even translated by me, so you probably don't want them to collect enough funds to get another good license.

Right now I'm for quantity (of highly rated visual novels in english) over quality (of translation), MG sekai etc. could license something else in the meanwhile.