Want to start Rance

Kaytwice

Play the original four Rance games if you want. All four are now freeware and available in English. Same with Kichikuou Rance.

There's Sengoku Rance if you want. Most people are introduced to Rance via this game done by YandereTL. You can play it, or wait for eventual Mangagamer release.

Most people will recommend either Kichikuou or Sengoku because of similar game style.

According to MangaGamer, 5D and 6 (the ones they're translating) aren't bad places to start, as they introduce all of the characters and don't require a lot of previous knowledge about said characters, but obviously, they're not going to recommend that you start with the fan-TL'd ones.  You'd probably still be able to start with 5D and 6, but most people I know that played the Rance games started with Sengoku.

What are the members above said, just started with either Sengoku if you want it right now or VI when the translation finished would be fine imo (Or if you want more 5D to knowing certain charcter more).

As for freeware, Rance 3 was had 2nd most epic storyline after Kichikuou, but I think you could just started Kichikuou fine because it's supposedly the final game for Rance series, until Kichikuou sales proved that Rance managed to allowed Alicesoft for continuing Rance series. From there, I think Alicesoft starting to expanding the storyline of the Rance until we had Rance IX right now. Good luck to your Rance playthrough then if you already decided.