Purpose of quick save/load?

Hayashi

I'm guessing it's the same reason as why they exist in any other game - convenience. While saving in visual novels is far easier than in video games, some people just don't like spending those extra few seconds loading the menu screen so that they could save or load. They just want to quickly load back to a specific point of the story for... whatever reasons. 

I used it a lot in G-senjou no Maou whenever I feel like it's going to move to a new chapter/route. I like to keep each route as a separate reading. I could do that by manually going to the menu and saving, but doing so for every single scene is just impractical.

It's the same reason why there are so many save slots available in visual novels, because there are OCDed people like myself with these little habits of keeping our VNs organized in certain ways.

Years of playing Bethesda games taught me, that mashing quicksave every 15 seconds is the best protection from random crashes and other bugs.

Which aren't unusual for VNs that are not translated by a (competent) company to have. Lots of fan translations probably have programming issues, due to the amateurish coding. 

In regard of quick save, I'd rarely use one ie never nowadays. Although I'd using this back when I'd play Shera My Witch though (In fact, I'd always use quick save for Shera before I knew that there's save function).

As for the purpose, maybe it's leftover from the game in order to allow us to quickly save the game in case of something like sudden power outage during saving and corrupting the save in the process. Although it's quite redundant though if I may said because nowadays most of saving process in VN were had same time as quick save, but it could still useful in some case like TexasDice and Suzu Fanatic said.

I use normal saves at important junctions, like choices, and try to make new ones only at points where I can fully understand what's going on if I load it again sometime.  Quicksaves, for me, are for when I'll just be reading it the next day and remember exactly what's happening without the need to read stuff over again. 

Dunno what other people use them for.

I use it during H-scenes sometimes so that I can quickly go back to when they were in a different position, for example. Often they will be in a good position first and then switch to one that totally doesn't excite me, so I'll just quickload and keep on fappin'.

Also, in VNs that don't have a lot of save slots I'll use QSave a lot and only do a normal save between different reading sessions.

4 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

I usually save in a different slot every single time and by the end of the vn I used all the slots available, the quick save/quick load is kinda useless in most vns 

I agree but it does help just in case the game/vn ends up crashing and also it's a bit faster than going into the load menu and selecting the particular file, that being said quicksave is usually limited to one or two that overwrite themselves once you save again, at least that is in vns. I really haven't used it nor do I plan on doing so but I can't say it's useless to have it.

Quicksave can be used together with standard game save features to speed up reading expotentially in vn's, that contain long, multiple routes which often branch off in many different places. It's really convinient; It's not only about not having to exit the main game and return to menu every time, it's about not being forced to replay certain parts over and over again just to get to a point of interest within the story, especially when it branches off.

I mostly use quick save/load when I'm reading a vn without a walkthrough. I quick save when given choices > Pick a choice > See if it leads to the scene of the heroine I want > Quick load if I got the wrong one

That's faster than saving and loading all the time