Fall 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

7 hours ago, havoc said:

You mean about how low someone can sink?

As low as the pools in Keijo are, of course!

7 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I'm still puzzled by why people are soo pessimistic on upcoming anime nowadays. Granted I have only been watching new anime for the past 2-3 years, but I have consistently found at the very least four to five shows per season that I actively enjoy.

Anime that we remember enjoying greatly (and not remembering the anime itself) will always be almost impossible to top. Which is why every single person who believes in a golden age of anime, will point at some time in their past, never too recently.

5 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Anime that we remember enjoying greatly (and not remembering the anime itself) will always be almost impossible to top. Which is why every single person who believes in a golden age of anime, will point at some time in their past, never too recently.

I wonder about that, my first experiences with anime were pretty dicey. Half of the shows that I watched blew my mind, but the other half nearly made me stop watching anime all-together. 

3 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I wonder about that, my first experiences with anime were pretty dicey. Half of the shows that I watched blew my mind, but the other half nearly made me stop watch anime all-together. 

Well, you said it yourself. 2-3 years. Now think about people who started 20 years ago. People who remember more how they felt watching those shows, than the shows themselves. It's the classic effect of "everything was better before."

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

Well, you said it yourself. 2-3 years. Now think about people who started 20 years ago. People who remember more how they felt watching those shows, than the shows themselves. It's the classic effect of "everything was better before."

So, its a standard generational gap thing. Ah it's kinda reassuring that no matter which subgroup of people you analyze, they all act exactly the same.

8 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Well, i would not say everything was better before because that is simply not true.
But where 6-7 years ago I would enjoy about 15 of the shows each season that is now down to 6-7 each season.
meanwhile the amount of shows each season has gone up drastically, and i swear the more shows we get each season the lower the overall quality seems so get. We have also had a drastic increase of  otaku pandering shows the last 2-3 years.
At least that is how it seems to me.

1 hour ago, havoc said:

Well, i would not say everything was better before because that is simply not true.
But where 6-7 years ago I would enjoy about 15 of the shows each season that is now down to 6-7 each season.
meanwhile the amount of shows each season has gone up drastically, and i swear the more shows we get each season the lower the overall quality seems so get. We have also had a drastic increase of  otaku pandering shows the last 2-3 years.
At least that is how it seems to me.

It's the same kind of market oversaturation, as with the vn's; the more they produce, the harder it gets for studios to sustain themselves. It means bigger competition and in a long run, less money earned. Thus, they have to cut corners and quality starts to drop considerably. Being able to stay afloat means maximizing all the possibilities, which means adapting to the market; you create convinient stories; perfectly - those of mediocre quality, which have decent art enough for most to not spot the issues and riddle it with hilarious ammounts of fanservice of all sorts to please the fans.

It's one of the reasons why good studios like Manglobe went down, because they willingly refused to adapt to the new market trends and that was a one way road with no return.

11 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I'm still puzzled by why people are soo pessimistic on upcoming anime nowadays. Granted I have only been watching new anime for the past 2-3 years, but I have consistently found at the very least four to five shows per season that I actively enjoy.

2 hours ago, havoc said:

I'm lucky if I find 2, which is not me trying to be hipster but merely a statement of fact. It's rare that I'd recommend an anime/manga that wasn't made at least 10 years ago :( 

Usually it's only 1 or 2 good shows from about a dozen watchable series. But since there are 30+ each season, the gems get drowned out by the crap. When I look back though, there are maybe half a dozen enjoyable shows per year which isn't too bad really. You're just too close to the action to notice. Us old timers were around when we could barely watch 3 series per season for lack of subs and often the wrong things would get subbed so we'd miss out till years later IF they got an official release. You're all spoilt.

6 minutes ago, Rooke said:

I'm lucky if I find 2, which is not me trying to be hipster but merely a statement of fact. It's rare that I'd recommend an anime/manga that wasn't made at least 10 years ago :( 

You're not the only one, that feels the same. As I said above, lately - if I even watch anything at all - I've been mostly watching old series, or gems from between the 2000-2010's; there's nothing in the new anime, which I could call captivating in the same exact manner, as for older productions. Art is not everything.

34 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Same for me My recommendations tend to be from 10-20 years ago.
Personal favorite recommendations include:
Crest/Banner of the stars. Mostly for the characters which are all pretty unique and none really fall into any stereo type.
Desert Punk, Best comedy i have ever had the pleasure of watching. (And has arguably the worlds best dub, its actually better than the original japanese dub)
Your under Arrest and Patlabor, for those just grab a episode and enjoy.
Tenchi Muyo Ryo Ohki for harems series.
Aria for those i just need to relax moments.
Birdy the mighty decode
Full metal panic.

I personally refuse to recommend things like trigun, cowboy bebop and those other massivly popular old shows.
Mostly because you get those recommended every time one asks for recommendations.

In the mean time i finally found why i got that nostalic feeling from the first episode of Izetta, its from series like valkyria chronicle, Allison and Lillia (well the first 13 episodes before the time skip it falls flat after that), Dantallion no shoka, kiddy grade, pumpkin scissors and gosick.

You tend to enjoy things more easily, first when you are younger, as you are more tolerant/open to things that now might just make you frown and cringe, and second because of what I said, the effect of "everything was better before." Take into account the number of anime you would recommend from 10 years ago (or any close number of years), and then see how many great anime have also showed up during these last 10 years. There's no real difference. If anything, the fact that there's more and more anime means we have probably gotten even more "good anime" than before, but just like ittaku said, the gems get drowned by the fact there's also more crap.

This video from Gigguk kinda explains it, too, although you'll see similar videos everywhere cuz the "golden age of anime syndrome" is basically found in everyone.

There's nothing in newer shows as captivating in the oldies? Well, there'll never be, cuz newer shows don't have the nostalgia effect to back them up. Some shows hold on well, and will forever be your favourites and form your Golden Age, while with others you might realise they actually were pretty bad (hell, I remember rewatching... I think it was Fushigi Yuugi, after having watched it the first time like a decade ago?, and it was just awful).

In the end, I believe that holding your Golden Age as your standard will just ruin your experience, cuz nothing can compare to a group of anime that actually don't exist (as you enjoy them as much as the nostalgia).