Majikoi Drama CD Vol.1 Translation Project

EcchiOujisama

79305.jpg

https://vndb.org/v16539

Project Introduction

After making my way through KimiNozo and KimiAru and doing much better than I expected I decided to take a stab at translating something myself. A few days ago I slammed the gauntlet on the table looking for everything I needed to get this going, and @CryingWesternwas the first one to have the balls to pick it up. I'm not making promises that this is going to be the most amazing job anyone has ever done - as my Japanese has progressed I've gone from converting Japanese to English to understand it, to simply having an English OS and a Japanese OS. As a result the link between the two has dissolved a bit,  but my translation should still make more sense to you than the Japanese. Probably. (^_^);

The plan is for me to do the translating and CryingWestern has said he will make the patch from there, so no additional help will be needed for now. It could probably use a second set of eyes to look for typos/missing words some point (like that), but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm going to spend a lot of the day preparing for a conference over the weekend, but plan to get started Monday (or possibly Tuesday depending on the damage done by the drive and Never Ending Pasta Bowl as soon as Olive Garden opens on Monday). Looking over the script it's roughly 4600 lines and I'm going to shoot for 50 lines/day. That sounds like a doable pace that won't burn me out. IF everything goes according to plan (snort) before the end of January seems like a realistic timeline for a release. 

Before everyone asks, I'm not promising to do all of the Drama CDs, but if this goes well and CryingWestern slowly brings me along to script dumping/patch making/etc. or continues to do it for me it's possible. Right now it's one step at a time with focus on the translating. Ultimately I'm a full time entrepreneur and if I could get enough Patreon or similar support to put in 20, 30, 40 hours per week I'm theoretically open to the possibility, but that is getting several steps ahead of ourselves. Let's see if I actually finish this before we talk about doing vol.2-5, Koutetsu no Majo Annerose, KimiAru, Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai and Virgin Road and everything else that's not in English. Just about everyone who undertakes something like this tends to underestimate what it takes to get it finished, and I'm not claiming to be an exception. Yet. :illya:

Staff

EcchiOujisama (Translation)

- CryingWestern (Script dumping, patch making, whatever else I'm not giving proper credit for from script dumping to final product) 

Update History

9/28/2016 - Scripts dumped by CryingWestern.

9/29/2016 - This post bay-bee!

Went through it and there may be less to do than originally thought. Of the two scenarios on the disc, I'm thinking the longer one might be mostly/completely recycled from the first Majikoi. Waiting for confirmation. If that's the case I won't have to translate it and the new content will be done in twice the original estimated timeframe. Because that's how fan projects roll. That last bit about twice the estimated time was a joke. Hopefully.

10/2/16 - There is now something semi-resembling something of the website. I'm also recruiting someone to check Hajime no Majikoi in the Drama CD against the original game to see how much of it has already been done (no Japanese ability required). You'll get copies of the script, copy from the Drama script, open a search box and paste the Japanese line. If an exact match is found, highlight, copy and paste from Majikoi to Drama CD. You'll get full credit, a bunch of thanks and as many 0 yen coins as you can carry for your trouble. 

10/3/16 - First actual day of translating in the bag. I went through the segments that play when you close the game (albeit with some questions about what's going in two of them) and got into the new scenario. After I did the first 9 lines I went through the scripts and changed all of the name displays from Japanese to English, each of which count as its own line of text. After spending a few hours making all of the name changes I'm mathematically way of ahead of schedule on top of doing 30 real lines of work. One more for the bad guy.   

Blog and El Machina de Twitter

I set up a site for translations at https://ecchioujisama.wordpress.com/ although there is literally nothing on it right now.now with something! I also set up a Twitter account, but because I had the nerve not to follow a shitton of people immediately after creating it, those douchebags locked it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 

I'll post that if/when it gets unlocked. 

2 hours ago, EcchiOujisama said:

Let's see if I actually finish this before we talk about doing vol.2-5, Koutetsu no Majo Annerose, KimiAru, Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai and Virgin Road and everything else that's not in English. Just about everyone who undertakes something like this tends to underestimate what it takes to get it finished, and I'm not claiming to be an exception. Yet. :illya:

I think that's a good approach to take, making big plans in advance usually never pans out in the end, Maji Translations are taking a similar approach with Majikoi A's translation. Anyway good luck with the project, will be looking forward to it!

A summary of updates so far:

-The website is LIVE and now has something you can read! So...yay!

-If there is anyone who wants to get involved, I could use someone to compare lines of text in the Hajime no Majikoi scenario on Drama CD vol.1 with the script from Majikoi. No actual Japanese knowledge required, all you have to do is copy from Hajime, search/paste in Majikoi and if you find an exact match copy/paste the English translation. Post or PM me if you're interested in that and I'll see about getting everything set up for you. Someone kicking ass on that could see this whole thing get released in November. 

-Translation has begun! 30 lines plus all of the instances of name displays, basically one line every time someone speaks, so technically I did hundreds of lines today. I'm not counting them all, my brain feels like jello from the boredom. More in the OP if you're interested.

• 5 months later...