VR VN?

Hayashi

Looking at all these technological development on VR technology, and it prompt me to think about the future of VNs. Maybe not long in the future, we can see things in the MC's eyes and experience the story, first hand. (H-scene:sacchan:) Wearing a thing on your head for hours might be a problem tho. I wear glasses, shit:vinty:.

3D VNs have a horrible track record. Nobody managed to deliver 3D visual impressions, which rivals 2D in VNs. Teatime went all out with 3D VNs and they died and all their VNs have poor reviews due to 3D not working for VNs.

32 minutes ago, Kiso said:

we can see things in the MC's eyes and experience the story, first hand. (H-scene:sacchan:)

If you are after the H scenes in 3D, look for Custom Maid 3D 2, @Home mate and whatever all of those are called. 3D H scene games with hints of VN story, but not enough to really classify them as VNs. This is most likely more like what you are asking for. Forget about VNs if you goal is the H scenes.

1 minute ago, tymmur said:

3D VNs have a horrible track record. Nobody managed to deliver 3D visual impressions, which rivals 2D in VNs. Teatime went all out with 3D VNs and they died and all their VNs have poor reviews due to 3D not working for VNs.

If you are after the H scenes in 3D, look for Custom Maid 3D 2, @Home mate and whatever all of those are called. 3D H scene games with hints of VN story, but not enough to really classify them as VNs. This is most likely more like what you are asking for. Forget about VNs if you goal is the H scenes.

I do own CM3D2 and the whole package. Auto-spin tool for downstairs was also included.

I am skeptical VR would work well in a VN format.  VNs rely on disembodied text that isn't really a part of the world, it's a combination of narration (we're wiretapping protag-kun's internal monologue) and subtitles.  I don't see either one of these working well in VR.

Narration in text form has the problem of being highly distracting.  In 2D, it's just superimposed over whatever you're looking at.  In 3D, same deal.  You can see what's going on in the scene, and read the text, at the same time because you're just focusing on a screen.  Not so in VR.  VR has to basically project the text as if it were displayed on a virtual monitor somewhere in the 3D space.   You can either leave the monitor at a fixed position, which I see being really hard to focus on the scene and read the text at the same time.  Or you can move the fake-monitor constantly so that it syncs up with wherever people are supposed to be looking at in the current scene.  I see that being even more annoying.

Subtitling what other people are saying is going to be even more distracting.

Then there's the problem that most VNs are static, and tell rather than show any kind of complicated action.  If there's a badass fight going on, you aren't watching a movie of the fight happen.  You're watching still images that shift occasionally, accompanied by a (hopefully) epic description of the badassery unfolding.

I just don't see VR being a good fit for this presentation style.  Maybe someone could make it work, and that would be pretty cool, but I'm not convinced.

I would love if they would make a good VR VN, but I don't think it will happen in the nearest future. My guess would be that maybe in 20 years (if not even more). For me, the whole research of the VR technology right now goes in a wrong way, seeing with the eyes of the character is not enough for me to call it VR. I can just hope, that in the future we will have true VR (SAO would be the best example of true VR), no moving with your real body, just a helmet on your head and experiencing everything with all senses in your brain.

But playing as the character, moving and interacting, probably with slightly limited options: A textbox flying somewhere near you, that has the typical VN narrative, the main character - you - reading your text, talking with other characters, choosing where to go from the options you have, even with this limits it definitly would still be immensly fun. Or a VN without even those limits, where the AI respondes to the story you wish to create. I would love it :D