Jump to content

Harmonia discussion


Recommended Posts

So it's here - finally. I didn't know, but Key turned 15 on 2013 actually. Meaning we almost got Harmonia for their 20th birthday.

Well, there's a FuwaReview for it. @Conjueror was angry at its writing (or maybe translation? We just don't know) on Twitter, but lots of people seem to have loved it. Leave your impressions! Tipi is a cutie. Madd is the Mr. Braun we deserve, but not the one we need. And Shiona

Spoiler

gotta love the yandere undertones

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Palas said:

@Conjueror was angry at its writing (or maybe translation? We just don't know) on Twitter, but lots of people seem to have loved it. 

I can say, categorically speaking, and with zero doubt in my mind whatsoever, that the parts I've seen are definitely not written well. The people who think there's nothing or little wrong with the writing are in error.

Conjueror and Moogy are correct in this instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still busy with ef (really long VN!), but I plan to read this afterwards. Though I'm not fond of Key's art style, the screenshots look kind of nice, and music is really important to me, so I expect I'll get at least some enjoyment out of this one. In the screenshots I've seen, the text is definitely very stilted, but I can tolerate it, especially if other things are done well.

Also, nice review :sachi:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice review. I'm still only in Chapter 4, but I'll post here what I said elsewhere about Harmonia after an hour or so with it on Friday night: "Initial impression of Harmonia: the prose is kind of like fingernails on a chalkboard. Otherwise, it's doing okay."

Fortunately, either it started to get better over time or I became inured to it, to the point that that it's no longer usually getting in the way of my enjoying the VN. And aside from that point, I'm enjoying it well enough, particularly the setting, plot, and music, and to a lesser extent the art and the characters. There's a certain set of beliefs about life and humanity and hope that always resonates strongly in any Key VN, and this one is no exception: for Key feels enthusiasts like me, it's a powerful draw.

I'll be trying to make time to read through the rest of this in the next couple days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rooke said:

I can say, categorically speaking, and with zero doubt in my mind whatsoever, that the parts I've seen are definitely not written well. The people who think there's nothing or little wrong with the writing are in error.

Conjueror and Moogy are correct in this instance.

Yeah, I read the whole thing. The best way to describe the writing is mechanical and robotic, which would be funny if done intentionally, but I doubt it is. Key stuff isn't always that detailed writing-wise, but still you can at least put emotion into the writing without making it the most eloquently written thing ever. 

Also, regarding the actual game, I liked it a lot, more than planetarian really. The stories share a lot of similarities, but I particularly liked the fact that this game had a much more complete and satisfying ending than planetarian. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't read it in the nearest time due to my backlog, but I can't say I didn't wait for it. On the other hand, from what I saw, the nearer the game was to it's release, the more angry I got with the overall quality of the text; whether writing, or translation, it's not something, that blows your mind away.

It feels like the game's a spiritual sequel of sorts to Planetarian, but I doubt it'll live up to it's name, at least to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the comparison with planetarian is very fair.
 

Spoiler

 

In planetarian, the distinction between humans and robots is never questioned by the actual story - the peak emotional moment has Yumemi reminding you she feels no pain because she's a robot and it's you as a player who, if connected to the characters, can't accept that notion and feel for her anyway. So it isn't about emotions or even about the future of mankind. I think it's something else. Harmonia discusses these themes all the time, especially after the twist: Shiona explains how Phiroids sort of "stole" emotions from humans, as if there couldn't have been any distinction to begin with and it was the humans who became robots. Since we're at it, Shiona explaining everything with a "I-knew-it-all-along" attitude annoyed me quite a bit. Well, fuck, why aren't YOU the protagonist? I think she would have been a much better protagonist for this story - Rei's external development is well-done in the first part, but his internal development is very awkward: first he has to learn emotions but he has emotions all the time and then he finds out he always had emotions but actually never had emotions because he was a human (???). Shiona, on the other hand, is much more complex, has more of an emotional spectrum across the story that could be worked upon with internal monologues and, in the end, it's with her that we are - not only in the Epilogue but in the ending too, in which Rei just goes like "alright, time to solve every problem with this world bye" and we stay with Shiona. We don't see what the hell happened with Rei or the world, it's a strange development for Rei as a protagonist.

But apparently a male protagonist is necessary all the time, isn't it?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

 

Just finished it, and it sure was a ride. Nothing like Planetarian. I really hope this sells so we can see more KEY stuff for the West in the future

On 9/26/2016 at 2:10 PM, Palas said:

I don't think the comparison with planetarian is very fair.
 

  Hide contents

 

  he has to learn emotions but he has emotions all the time and then he finds out he always had emotions but actually never had emotions because he was a human (???).

 

 

I disagree a little, w.

Spoiler

It is somewhat unclear what exactly they mean by "not having emotions", but I think it's more or less this: While Rei has a clear idea of what are emotions -and recognizes them when he does come across them- it's clear that he forgot what it feels like, as have all humans in the story. Only after a lot of interaction with the phiroids does he become able to feel dem emotions again.

So to correct your statement:

 he has to learn how to feel emotions but he has known about  emotions all the time and then he finds out he always could feel emotions but actually forgot how to feel them because he was human 

^_^

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have really hated a lot of keys works recently. Other then kanon, clannad, little busters and planetarian I hate everything else. You see, I expect alot from a company that makes a VN (clannad) so emotional and life changing that I was depressed and ignored everybody for a week. I like Kanon, and little busters was pretty good. But yeah not so keen on rewrite. (plz dont kill me for saying that) But I feel like they have redeemed themselves with harmonia. I really like harmonia a lot. It is interesting and just bloody good. I dunno what this shit about the writing is. Maybe im stupid? Who cares I love it and thats all that matters

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ratboi said:

i have really hated a lot of keys works recently. Other then kanon, clannad, little busters and planetarian I hate everything else. You see, I expect alot from a company that makes a VN (clannad) so emotional and life changing that I was depressed and ignored everybody for a week. I like Kanon, and little busters was pretty good. But yeah not so keen on rewrite. (plz dont kill me for saying that) But I feel like they have redeemed themselves with harmonia. I really like harmonia a lot. It is interesting and just bloody good. I dunno what this shit about the writing is. Maybe im stupid? Who cares I love it and thats all that matters

I also think it is better than planetarian

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2016 at 4:05 AM, babiker said:

 

Just finished it, and it sure was a ride. Nothing like Planetarian. I really hope this sells so we can see more KEY stuff for the West in the future

I disagree a little, w.

  Hide contents

It is somewhat unclear what exactly they mean by "not having emotions", but I think it's more or less this: While Rei has a clear idea of what are emotions -and recognizes them when he does come across them- it's clear that he forgot what it feels like, as have all humans in the story. Only after a lot of interaction with the phiroids does he become able to feel dem emotions again.

So to correct your statement:

 he has to learn how to feel emotions but he has known about  emotions all the time and then he finds out he always could feel emotions but actually forgot how to feel them because he was human 

^_^

 

me rn

inXRFzJ.jpg

Spoiler

They do mention at the end humans forgot how to feel because they became jerks. So he can't feel because he's a human, not in spite of being one. Right. Nice. Still, it's convoluted because the development of Rei's emotions wasn't really well-done, I believe. Like, having emotions innately or not, he does describe having them before learning about them. He's always conscious of what's happening to his emotions unless the story has him go like "ok so this is anger, I can see it now".

There should be a planetarian x harmonia poll to settle this once and for all (vote for planetarian)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I wanted to save playing Harmonia as an inauguration of my new home, and that's exactly what I did. Some 3 months since I got the mortgage greenlit. Now I can finally get at it mwahahahahahah!

And, so far so good. Heartwarming and fuzzy novel if there is one. I wonder when will the drama strike.

I just wanna be like Rei.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Narcosis said:

Guess my worries with this vn have partially dispersed by now and I should be able to enjoy it, even though the translation still leaves a lot to be desired.

From what I've seen there's a lot of contradicting opinions. I don't think the writing is bad. And the novel gets its points across pretty nice and neat. I have only played to 50% of the game though. But I doubt it will disappoint me now.

Get this game if you're looking for a heartwarming, fuzzy experience like I said above. That's what the game and the characters are so far. Maybe in the next hours it will include more nuances but this is the core of the game. For a Keylover it's a must. I like it far better than Planetarian, but then again, it's been 4 full years since I played that, and I didn't know Key that well at the time. Also the experience they have accumulated shows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Okarin said:

From what I've seen there's a lot of contradicting opinions. I don't think the writing is bad. And the novel gets its points across pretty nice and neat. I have only played to 50% of the game though. But I doubt it will disappoint me now.

Get this game if you're looking for a heartwarming, fuzzy experience like I said above. That's what the game and the characters are so far. Maybe in the next hours it will include more nuances but this is the core of the game. For a Keylover it's a must. I like it far better than Planetarian, but then again, it's been 4 full years since I played that, and I didn't know Key that well at the time. Also the experience they have accumulated shows.

Planetarian was a chock-full post-apocalyptic utsuge in it's purest form, from start till the end. I guess Harmonia follows it's notion to an extent, albeit from a widely different perspective. That's why I consider it a spiritual sequel of sorts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, so far it's the contrary of an utsuge. In no small fact due to the presence of the second most important character aside from the protag. She's a girl that does nothing but smile and encourage others. I suspect she has her secrets, of course. But I am expecting a happy ending that wraps it all up. More than Planetarian did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Okarin said:

Well, so far it's the contrary of an utsuge. In no small fact due to the presence of the second most important character aside from the protag. She's a girl that does nothing but smile and encourage others. I suspect she has her secrets, of course. But I am expecting a happy ending that wraps it all up. More than Planetarian did.

>happy ending

>Key

:makina:

I don't recall any of Key's games to end happily. If anything, they're always bittersweet at most.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...