Starting Civilization 5 with DLCs?

Seth

I just bought the complete edition of civ 5 because it was on sale, but now I'm unsure if I should already enable DLCs and expansions on the first playthrough or start with the vanilla game at first. Does anybody have recommendations if and which ones to start with?

They already bought Civ 5; don't you think we should answer that rather than pointing at other games? :wahaha:

@Seth, Civ 5 is one of those games where the vanilla was a total joke but it got better with expansions/DLC. If you have everything, I wholeheartedly suggest installing it all and playing that way from the start. I hope you enjoy it. Have you played any of the other games in the series, or will this be your first?

Civ 6 will be sixty dollars, Civ 5 Complete is $13.51 right now which makes it a perfectly serviceable game for way cheaper. Ain't nothing wrong with buying and playing that. Don't shitpost if you've got nothing else to add.

Anyway, definitely enable the DLC. The game feels very incomplete without it.

I recommend starting as Babylon and going for a science victory in your first attempt, taking full advantage of their unique ability. 

1 hour ago, Decay said:

I recommend starting as Babylon and going for a science victory in your first attempt, taking full advantage of their unique ability. 

I second that suggestion, but just in case it wasn't already implied, I recommend trying out the war gameplay once it's become abundantly clear that you're the most advanced nation on the map. It's almost like target practice at that point, but war takes a little bit of getting used to so it's a great opportunity.

Also, OP, don't be ashamed to choose a low difficulty setting at first.

56 minutes ago, Makudomi said:

I second that suggestion, but just in case it wasn't already implied, I recommend trying out the war gameplay once it's become abundantly clear that you're the most advanced nation on the map. It's almost like target practice at that point, but war takes a little bit of getting used to so it's a great opportunity.

Also, OP, don't be ashamed to choose a low difficulty setting at first.

I don't agree though. If you are completely new to the game you are gonna fuck up on so many levels. Just try out stuff and test what you think is interesting. Learn by experience. Sitting forever in Babylon doesn't go any good. You are not learning anything about the game except technology is your bitch. All nations got their speciality and if I would suggest one of my personal favorites it is China. Easy to manage, give you early good bonuses to help you kickstart everything. The other one is Egypt or Persia just to be happy forever.

But as a Swede I say our shitty country Sweden is the masterrace over everything. Although they suck horrible and are one of the worst one in the game. 

Learn by doing wrong and don't be afraid of doing wrong. Playing the game on the lowest/second lowest in the beginning is advised. The normal setting is "Prince" where everything is equal if I recall the mechanics behind it. 

Thanks for your tips everyone. I decided to activate all DLCs and gods and kings for my first playthrough. And Babylon of course because science rocks :sachi:. It seems pretty nice for now. I was a bit afraid at first when Rome suddenly declared war but they still only had the basic units so it didn't take long until they offered me more and more gold every few turns to make a peace treaty :illya: