Princess Maker 2 Refine To Be Released For The West

XReaper

As the title suggests, after what feels like an era of ruthless opression through the modern and cute, studio Gainax in comradeship with the korean publisher CFK finally decided on maning up against todays filth, bringing over the horrendously adorable "Princess Maker 2 Refine" for a mere sum of 19,99$, even willing to offer a 20 percentual discount to the fast and utmost longing. Rejoice!

edit: seems its sales-numbers will determine if a possible release of the series later installments might become a reality as well, something which hasn´t been ruled out by the ones responsible as of yet.
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/373/1373026/

Did anyone else notice the Engrish?  Not good.  A Korean publisher for a Japanese company?  What?

Is this what Steam has come to be?  A dumping ground for those who don't understand English well enough to care about basic diction?  So Japanese companies just hire the cheapest contractors they can find to shave localization costs to a minimum?

Going by the video, the worst part is the beginning bit ... which is the bit everyone will ignore. The daily descriptions are phrased poorly, but considering it's an 80s game and that's the sort of English that everybody was accustomed to in 80s games xD. The dialogue looks okay, as in not good but serviceable.

It's definitely not a good translation, but probably serviceable for what it is and how big the audience will be. 

I can live with it in this instance. However, it'd be bad if it were actually a novel and not a sim with a lot of gameplay 0.0 

4 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

So Japanese companies just hire the cheapest contractors they can find to shave localization costs to a minimum?

i refuse to abandon my believes of gainax non pouring every available ressources of theirs into the making of evangelions final movie, so in case princess maker helps contributing towards said goal i shall buy it even if it´s written in broken suwaheli.
btw. i´ve seen worse, read worse & paid alot more (non trying to justify/whiteknight anything here)

Fuck yeah, I love a good raising sim and I absolutely adore the few older Japanese games I have been able to play. Shame about the translation though, but as long as I can comprehend what is going on I'll take what I can get. 

40 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

Is this what Steam has come to be?  A dumping ground for those who don't understand English well enough to care about basic diction?  

Well with the garbage that gets through the greenlight process steam is pretty much a dumping ground period.

23 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

A bit too old for my taste. But I am giving it a try. I have been looking at the Princess Maker titles for ages. Nothing beats a well made raising sim.

like i did already mention in the edits above, gainax & companions are not against bringing over the rest of the series as well, means more new installments, but i believe this solely depends on how good this one might do on steam. btw. i´ve not lost my faith as of yet, that a good revenue might also get them putting more efforts into translating future works on a satisfactionary level, i´m a hopelessly naive fuck i know, i know...

• Zenophilious changed the title to Princess Maker 2 Refine To Be Released For The West
On 22.9.2016 at 10:44 PM, Rooke said:

It's one of the classic 'raising sims' the West never got. I'll be picking this up, for sure.

... but we actually got Princess Maker 2...

That said, I'm wondering if this version is using the old translation (which I don't remember anymore aside from being perfectly fine for the time it was released) or if they are using a new one.
But as it certainly can't be better than the original, I don't see any benefit in buying this version. I can't find any information on what makes the "Refine"d edition better than the original.
They should have released another game in the series English speaker haven't already played instead.

On 22.9.2016 at 11:12 PM, Rooke said:

Ugh, why didn't Evangelion die 20 years ago like it should've xD

19 years! End of Evangelion was released in 1997! (And it better had been the End...)

1 hour ago, Infernoplex said:

A little bit of googling brought me this:

http://www.abandonia.com/games/181/

Screenshots are in English so I guess that's the English-language beta version xD

Well I'll be the first transgender nun on a pilgrimage to convert ISIS, shame it dosn't seem to want to work on windows 7 (at lest for me). How much you want to bet that this version has better English than the upcoming release?

1 hour ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well I'll be the first transgender nun on a pilgrimage to convert ISIS, shame it dosn't seem to want to work on windows 7 (at lest for me). How much you want to bet that this version has better English than the upcoming release?

Ofcourse it doesn't work on Windows 7 xD Look at the time when the game was released. You need DOSBox to run this game on Windows 7, I will try running it later :)

Edit: Okay, I have tested it, it works, I can confirm that I can run it through DOSBox on Windows 7 64-bit and here are some screenshots from the game (English confirmed)

Untitled2_2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled7.jpg

Edited by Infernoplex

52 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Ofcourse it doesn't work on Windows 7 xD Look at the time when the game was released. You need DOSBox to run this game on Windows 7, I will try running it later :)

I had a feeling that might have something to do with it, reminds me of a joke that one of my coworkers told me that completely flew over my head. He asked me how to run the new Doom on windows 3.0 .

2 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I had a feeling that might have something to do with it, reminds me of a joke that one of my coworkers told me that completely flew over my head. He asked me how to run the new Doom on windows 3.0 .

Ahahaha :D I made some screenshots from in-game (posted as an edit in my previous post) but honestly, this is not my cup of tea, I am not into raising simulations. Though I can definitvely see reasons why some people like this type of games.

@Infernoplex Thank you for providing these screenshots. With this, we can say with certainty that the Refine release has a new translation which is far inferior to the old one.
At this point I see no reason in buying the Steam release. Well, aside from financing the potential release of other entries in the series of course.

Oh boy, I feel I have seen this many times before:
>releasing an inferior version of something that is already available
>number of sales will decide whether other (actual new) games will also be released
>"Sales fell short of expectations. Apparently nobody wants this."

@Tyrosyn - No problem though I can't say anything about the translation xD From what I have seen it looks fine to me but they apparently call it a leaked beta so I can't confirm if everything is good till the end.

7 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

Oh boy, I feel I have seen this many times before:
>releasing an inferior version of something that is already available
>number of sales will decide whether other (actual new) games will also be released
>"Sales fell short of expectations. Apparently nobody wants this."

This has proven to be true in so many cases.