Anaheim Girl's Love Story Hacking Project

HerbalNekoTea

Hi everyone, i would be interesting to see a real translation of Anaheim Girl's Love Story which's a Yuri and Mecha VN. The translation's already existing (in a form of html file...). Various hacker tried in the past to make tool, some are public, some are not. Yes i did make my research and tried for myself (being a yellow hat hacker). After more than 2 hours, doing research and testing tools, i found mostly what's needed but mostly incomplete. So here's the status of the stuff i found.

Before Everything, an introduction of the VN : Anaheim Girl's Love Story's a fanfic from Gundam, 2 female electronics engineers who become in love while building a gundam. It's a Yuri with Mecha on a Gundam setting, it do has adult  More info : https://vndb.org/v6924

-The HTML file contain almost all the translation of the VN, there seem to have some line untranslated according to some hacking thread from previous attempts. Around 850 lines would be required to be translated from Japanese to English. Source in this archived thread and patch's also there : http://archived.moe/u/thread/1352750/

-It might also need some TLC, Editing and QC if the previous one man translator did a bad job, cannot verify since i am still cannot read japanese and my english's not a native english.

-We need to have tools to extract it, the tools i found are incomplete extraction tools made in python (i think it's python 3). The hacker did made a kickstarter for personal profit from those tool (35 backer, around $750) and give up because of depression. I believe it might be able to extract file but not recompress them correctly, i did not got any luck to extract the game.dat file. Source in Python : https://bitbucket.org/tinfoil/irl/overview

-A good news, the official Japanese engine's public, you can download it on the official website, so guessing the extractor work, we might be able to recompress them with the official tool, might need an expert view about this. It just seem applocal or syslocal in Japanese's not enough and you need windows to be in Japanese for it to work (or maybe Windows XP build since the app's menu's not showing in UTF-8 encoding (old Japanese machine language printing instead of real Japanese)). A guide about how to compress using the engine exist with the link to the official website : http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11572

-We also need to recopy each line into the script or each script (if it's segmented correctly like any rational dev would do). That could be either done myself (after TLC, Editing and QC if needed) or multiple user could help copy pasting or i would simply manage using some VBS in excel and notepad++ (since i can only do some basic delphi and some advance vbs in excel, well, that was 2 year ago). Having a reinsertion tool or script would really save us time.

So, what we need at first's an hacker who could extract the game.dat file and get the script from it. Nothing else can be done until we got the script. Thank to anyone having a try, my knowledge has a yellow hat hacker's not enough, so i hope someone could do what nobody has succeed. Thank you.

Team : 

Reinsertion : Myself

Translation : Oppai-Missile (original html file)

Tools : tinfoil (Unfinished)

I have been interested in playing this game since the translation was announced to be done and released, unfortunally with it not being an english fan-translation patch you clearly didn't have much to work with. So I am very glad that someones finally trying to make a patch for this game translation, will be looking forward to guys releasing the patch. Best of luck!

I am still looking for some help for file extraction, i will give it another shot tomorrow if the python beginner manual's online tomorrow (was not when i tried at first). Otherwise, i might simply try something else using the official engine dev kit, i will install a japanese windows 10 on a VM and try to translated the gui with some input using my surface pen (or maybe using the camera function on the google translator app on android.  Otherwise, i am stuck waiting for anybody's help... Might aswell do some scouting if i cannot do anything for extracting the file.

• 3 years later...

Man, that was already 3.5 years since my first attempt... How time advance fast... You might be asking yourself "Why's this fucking retard doing a necro ?"... Well, shit progressed in those 3.5 years...

In february, a certain Peter made a tools for LiveMaker Engine (Legacy Abandonware Engine) called PyLiveMaker which's a fork of 2014's IRL tools by Tinfoil which was never finish. This Peter ended up finishing the tool, yet, it still have a few breaking bug that would need to be fixed for it to release. I had successfully reinserted 53% of the script in 4-5 days. ATM, i am going to probably take tomorrow off the work to focus on building a custom laptop for someone which i got all the part today. I should be done reinserting everything if possible before FF7 Remake get out but there will be more work to do for it.

I need to find the option selection script when a choice appear in the game, that stuff's weirdly enough somewhere not in the script... And that kinda piss me off since it will take a while to find, probably no more than 1 to 2h. I had been working easily 8-10h per days on this stuff. So it's not so bad. There's also the issue that i have some picture to translate, my photoshop skill are crap and i might need to ask someone for it. Krita and Gimp's broken mess atm on Arch Linux. I also need to convert the game to single wide char but that should take no more than 10min.

I will be trying to release the game before June after i got a few people to double verify everything. I am using Oppai Missile's translation which's pretty decent and did a few fix for encoding stuff and one where they translated server has "Host Computer" which, has an IT dude, cannot handle a server being called that, lol. Just being a bit nick picky for a single line. I am not an editor but the translation seem fine. I gave a sample to my Proof Reader and he said it was fine outside of the double wide font.

Please know that i might be a bit broke atm but i got a lot of game i wanna play this month and depending on review, i could skip some. Yakuza 7 (Seem like in my blacklist, sadly, i am a big fan of the series but the DLC are disgraceful), FF7 Remake and Shin Sakura Taisen (I am ready to play my english translation disc on my new Sega Saturn, but i also want to play the new game).

I finally also need to build the webpage section for the project. This project's one of my own, not related too much to the whole translation team. But i want their feedback when i have something decent ready before releasing anything. I also need to play the game while counting line to see if it's not skipping anyline by error. But yeah, there's also the chance i or you guys could get corona... So that could delay shit or cancel it if i pass away.

Finally, i am looking for any other fan translation that lack a reinsertion. I remember reading a few release a few year ago about translation inside text hooker that was not reinserted, so i wouild like to see if those would be possible to make more of those happen. So send me title if you could.

Finally, here's a pix of it running on Wine on Arch Linux https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/692957773855588382/694512697403768873/unknown.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last update before release, i finally got the translation of the bonus voice only stuff and reinserted it, all i am missing's one unimport picture to translate, waiting 2 week for if my image editor do it, otherwise, i will be publishing the saturday of that next 2 week. I will be doing updating my website and preparing my website for the next project.

• 2 weeks later...