Translation of "Breedville"

spellmaster6

Translation of "Breedville" VNDB Announced

Translators Needed

We already have the script files extracted. We just need individuals who can read and understand Japanese to assist with translation. 

Anyone interested in actively assisting with the project, please send an email to [email protected].

10/30/16 Edit: Progress: by editing and removing non-related material from Dekiru's patch of Kimomen Teihen Shoku Demo Kyokon nara Harem Guild, we have managed to create a general-use interface patch for most Miel Games. Note that this patch does not translate the recollections menu or any dialog text.

The current patch is available here. 

Once again, we are still looking for Japanese translators. If interested, please contact Zaroz at [email protected].

Edited by spellmaster6
status update

Ok, just a few things.. why is there a romaji version that kanji and why is it there in the first place! and what's up with the google translation field!? this just make people who actual know Japanese and who wants to help you totally uninterested! That is an insult for those who can and wants to translate. Because I can't think of any good translator that wants to be affiliated with machine translation. 

So please stop this... you won't be helping anyone with this. 

To be honest, I think the lines there were neatly arranged ie it should be possible for anyone else who willing to try it, using Google Translate or not imo. Although after looking at the title here, let's just said that I'm not so interested there (Not my taste here). And good luck to OP there, I guess.

Basically what Decay said, don't bring in "community", that's not the way to do it. Crowdsourcing translations is a bad idea ... But if you meant finding an individual or two, then that I can understand, I would gladly help if I could (I can't, I am still at the learning phase and won't be able to TL anything at least for the next 2 years at least) ... Though I would like to know how do you people open up the script files? I don't mean the extraction part, I mean the actual scripts, how do you read those files? I tried hex editors and regular text editors with SHIFT-JIS support and I still can't figure out how to display the text in the script files in the meaningful way to be able to translate stuff :(

On 9/17/2016 at 2:31 AM, littleshogun said:

To be honest, I think the lines there were neatly arranged ie it should be possible for anyone else who willing to try it, using Google Translate or not imo. Although after looking at the title here, let's just said that I'm not so interested there (Not my taste here). And good luck to OP there, I guess.

Well, I don't know how neatly arranged they may have ended up, seeing as how I literally copy-pasted the entire scenario.ks file and sequentially numbered the lines before removing most of them that just contained script commands, but the problem that I have noticed with google translate is that it directly translates the words to english and doesn't parse the sentence grammatically. What little I know of Japanese is that the sentence structure is SOV (Subject-object-verb) compared to English's SVO

13 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

Basically what Decay said, don't bring in "community", that's not the way to do it. Crowdsourcing translations is a bad idea ... But if you meant finding an individual or two, then that I can understand, I would gladly help if I could (I can't, I am still at the learning phase and won't be able to TL anything at least for the next 2 years at least) ... Though I would like to know how do you people open up the script files? I don't mean the extraction part, I mean the actual scripts, how do you read those files? I tried hex editors and regular text editors with SHIFT-JIS support and I still can't figure out how to display the text in the script files in the meaningful way to be able to translate stuff :(

I mainly chose the crowdsourcing route to gather multiple translations of each line to hopefully derive the exact meaning of the line. After getting the actual meaning of the individual sentences, it would be relatively easy to reword paragraphs to include the same info, but in a more comfortable literary context.

As for your question on how to read the scripts: What file format is the script in? This game had the files in .ks format which I used Notepad++ to read(because I already had Japanese IME installed), but it could vary depending on the actual file type.

On 9/17/2016 at 4:16 AM, Decay said:

This is definitely not the best way to manage a project. Community projects like this always bring highly inconsistent results and fails to attract talented individuals. I would recommend a different approach.

Unfortunately, I am relatively new to the VNTL community and have next to no contacts within it. So with that in mind, I also have no preexisting reputation to utilize to draw said talented individuals to this project. That said, I would shut down the community TL side of things if I somehow managed to recruit a handful of dedicated translators, but as I said I figured that to be rather unlikely due to my lack of reputation and contacts. To begin with, the community TL aspect was just so I could free up some time so that I could learn japanese myself. If I manage to achieve that, I will probably do the entire translation myself and just be an independent translator. (similar to what LoE Quality does)

P.S. If you know of anyone who is able to assist, please have them email me

On 9/16/2016 at 11:57 PM, Asonn said:

Ok, just a few things.. why is there a romaji version that kanji and why is it there in the first place! and what's up with the google translation field!? this just make people who actual know Japanese and who wants to help you totally uninterested! That is an insult for those who can and wants to translate. Because I can't think of any good translator that wants to be affiliated with machine translation. 

So please stop this... you won't be helping anyone with this. 

The Romaji and Google translate fields were something I included for my own benefit. Since I am the only individual person who will be editing the spreadsheet itself, (only I have permission to edit) I figured that I could use the Google translate and Romaji columns to assist me in learning the language itself by systematically breaking it down. The reason that there is some romaji in the original text field is because those are names of the characters that I figured out and did a 'find and replace' search through the whole scenario file to romanize their names to hopefully avoid confusion.

1 hour ago, spellmaster6 said:

I mainly chose the crowdsourcing route to gather multiple translations of each line to hopefully derive the exact meaning of the line. After getting the actual meaning of the individual sentences, it would be relatively easy to reword paragraphs to include the same info, but in a more comfortable literary context.

As for your question on how to read the scripts: What file format is the script in? This game had the files in .ks format which I used Notepad++ to read(because I already had Japanese IME installed), but it could vary depending on the actual file type.

I see, so you wanted multiple translations and then combine it all to grasp the basic meaning of the sentences? I understand what you are trying to do but I still think that approach wouldn't work ... Honestly, from what I know about Japanese so far, it is a very contextual language and every meaning behind the words and sentences in this language depends on the context of the stuff that are going on in the background, I simply don't see a way in which multiple different translations of the same sentence would help you somehow combine everything and then come up with a final solution and saying "this is the correct translation" ... Multiple translators are bound to give you inconsistent translations because, for example, you can have several translators of different experience and then all of them could come up with several different translations and then there would be no way to combine and reword all of that into a correct sentence, you are bound to make mistakes that way ... Personally I'd rather prefer one or two translators that would work themselves and for consistence translate everything then to have a bunch of them mixing up together and bringing something third as a solution, finding intersection between all translations and so on .... This is the first time I am seeing this kind of approach in fan-TL ...

Another thing of note is that the title you are trying to translate is a nukige, which shouldn't be that hard to translate, I think even a N2 Japanese level translator could translate this decently by himself and from what I see on VNDB it's between 2-10 hours (I played some other Miel titles, they are usually 4 hours long at best, it shouldn't be that hard to translate this) ... No reason for multiple translators, why would 20 people work on this, it's enough if one translator would pick this up.

As for the scripts, I am asking because I also try to open them up with Notepad++ but they always display some garbage text even when I switch to SHIFT-JIS, I don't see the text that I see in-game, it's just a bunch of text that never appears in-game, it happened on several VNs in which I managed to grab the script files from the compressed archive ... The latest one that I didn't manage to read the scripts was this VN: https://vndb.org/v10220

The script format is ".scr", I found a tool to extract the scripts but didn't manage to find a way to read it in a meaningful way. There are some other VNs I tried to break but also came up with a problem of reading the scripts ... And I also don't know how I would put the scripts back once I'd hypothetically translate everything xD

On 9/18/2016 at 6:31 AM, Infernoplex said:

I see, so you wanted multiple translations and then combine it all to grasp the basic meaning of the sentences? I understand what you are trying to do but I still think that approach wouldn't work ... Honestly, from what I know about Japanese so far, it is a very contextual language and every meaning behind the words and sentences in this language depends on the context of the stuff that are going on in the background, I simply don't see a way in which multiple different translations of the same sentence would help you somehow combine everything and then come up with a final solution and saying "this is the correct translation" ... Multiple translators are bound to give you inconsistent translations because, for example, you can have several translators of different experience and then all of them could come up with several different translations and then there would be no way to combine and reword all of that into a correct sentence, you are bound to make mistakes that way ... Personally I'd rather prefer one or two translators that would work themselves and for consistence translate everything then to have a bunch of them mixing up together and bringing something third as a solution, finding intersection between all translations and so on .... This is the first time I am seeing this kind of approach in fan-TL ...

Another thing of note is that the title you are trying to translate is a nukige, which shouldn't be that hard to translate, I think even a N2 Japanese level translator could translate this decently by himself and from what I see on VNDB it's between 2-10 hours (I played some other Miel titles, they are usually 4 hours long at best, it shouldn't be that hard to translate this) ... No reason for multiple translators, why would 20 people work on this, it's enough if one translator would pick this up.

As for the scripts, I am asking because I also try to open them up with Notepad++ but they always display some garbage text even when I switch to SHIFT-JIS, I don't see the text that I see in-game, it's just a bunch of text that never appears in-game, it happened on several VNs in which I managed to grab the script files from the compressed archive ... The latest one that I didn't manage to read the scripts was this VN: https://vndb.org/v10220

The script format is ".scr", I found a tool to extract the scripts but didn't manage to find a way to read it in a meaningful way. There are some other VNs I tried to break but also came up with a problem of reading the scripts ... And I also don't know how I would put the scripts back once I'd hypothetically translate everything xD

Did you have Japanese IME installed AND the locale set to japan before extraction? If not, that could explain the garbage text. That is a common problem when you install games in the wrong locale. Idk if you are setting your computer's locale to japan or using something like applocale, but I would recommend setting your whole computer's locale to japan if you haven't. That way the environment that you run the program in is the most similar to the environment in which it was created.

As for the issue of repacking the scripts when done, I am not terribly familiar with the game engine for that game, so I will have to do some research and get back to you.

2 hours ago, spellmaster6 said:

Did you have Japanese IME installed AND the locale set to japan before extraction? If not, that could explain the garbage text. That is a common problem when you install games in the wrong locale. Idk if you are setting your computer's locale to japan or using something like applocale, but I would recommend setting your whole computer's locale to japan if you haven't. That way the environment that you run the program in is the most similar to the environment in which it was created.

As for the issue of repacking the scripts when done, I am not terribly familiar with the game engine for that game, so I will have to do some research and get back to you.

I think I have that IME installed, I think it's a requirement in order to be able to write Japanese on my PC ... For example, I can type this in: ありがとうごやいます, and all it takes from me to do it is to change the keyboard language in the bottom corner of my screen, I think Japanese IME is a requirement for that so I think I have it definitively.

As for Japanese locale, I am in it for over a year and a half and I never switched back to normal English locale xD That's because all of the fan-translated and un-translated VNs 90% of time require me to use either Applocale or if it doesn't work with it, then totally change to Japanese locale, so the garbage text in scripts is definitively not related to that ...

I need to emphasize something, I don't know if you got me right ... When I say garbage text, I don't mean unreadable text ... I mean there are some kanji here and there but it's not what I see in-game, it's thrown around and all I see is kanji meaninglessly thrown around ... And nowhere hiragana or katakana characters which is strange because in-game you can see all those three scripts combined ... I can't figure out what's wrong, I am sure it has something to do with the encoding and displaying ... I think that the problem is related to the missing font or something but I can't pinpoint which font exactly is missing, I have some Japanese fonts installed including the basic MS Japanese but for some reason I can't see normal text there in the scripts ...

I need to do some more testing, I didn't try out yet titles that are in KiriKiri engine, those should be easier to deal with it and I have to check whether I will have problem with reading their scripts too. If there's a problem there too then it means that there's something missing on my end, I know people have worked with titles in KiriKiri and made fan-TL with no problems ...

Thank you for any kind of input you could give me ^_^

Edit: The engine in which is made the VN I have sent you is called YU-RIS, I forgot the version number but I can fairly easily find out what it was.